Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 112 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 141 reviews
on November 20, 2013
The first part of the book deals with the product-development war between Apple and Google. Very dramatic, insightful and well-written. Apart from the dramatic work stories from the insiders at Google and Apple, it also covers a number of strategic non-trivial points, and is a very good read.
The last part opens up a general topic of 'where is the revolution headed' and describes the current relationship tension between the media companies (who provides content) and the 'internet' companies (who are increasingly providing the platform, e.g. Netflix). Typically, this part should be a book by itself, if it has to rise above what most people already know. The treatment of this topic in the book is weak, and makes for a scattered last part.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2013
I read this on a recent flight and highly recommend it. As someone who was at many of Apple's product launches, I'm impressed by the unofficial stories that the author was able to unearth. This is a thoughtful, deeply researched, and enjoyable book to read.
on March 22, 2014
The book chronicles the actions that led to the Apple/Google war. The book gives details of the struggles and accomplishments by each company in regards to each important product they launched. The book also highlights the relationship between Google owners (Brin, Page and Schmidt) and Apple founder (Steve Jobs). It reveals each person’s character and the method in which they run their companies. The fallout between both parties is an important lesson to entrepreneurs. When business is involved, you can’t rely on friendship or loyalty; and protecting your ideas by the law (patents, copyrights, etc.) is very important if you want the credit that you deserve.

I’m not a person that likes to read; actually I can’t remember the last time I read a book, but this book was very interesting. I learned a lot about the products I use every day. I have an IPod Touch and a Samsung Galaxy S3; and to learn about the process of developing these products was very informational. I’m not a tech person but I understand the difficulties of technology and the sacrifice it takes to advance the market. The book kept me interested. With each chapter I wanted to know what would happen next. I can’t say that this book will make me want to read more but I will say I am going to recommend this book to others.

I’m a University of Baltimore student enrolled in the Entrepreneurship course and this was my recommended reading.
on December 26, 2013
For many of us, it was never Apple vs Google but Apple AND Google. I remember getting the 1st generation iPhone and thinking it was the perfect pairing, like chocolate and peanut butter in a Reese's peanut butter cup. Apple's pristine hardware design and user interface and Google powering some of the services. In fact, I wished for more....I wanted Apple to partner with Google and outsource all of the backend mess that was MobileMe to them. Mail, calendaring, everything...let Google do it but have Apple redo the user experience as only Apple can do. Alas, that was not to be.

Although there is a bit of bias towards Google in this book, I think Fred Vogelstein does a good job filling in some of the gaps with regards to the schism between these two industry giants. We, as outsiders, only saw so much and Vogelstein has opened the window a little wilder. While I doubt that this account truly explains the full story, I think it is an interesting piece of work that is well worth reading.
on October 21, 2014
I am a University of Baltimore Merrick School of Business student enrolled in a survey Entrepreneurship course and this was my recommended reading for an assignment. This book discusses the creation of the iPhone, Android, and the iPad, and the relationship between Google and Apple. Vogelstein does a great job of giving the details of Google’s relationship with Steve Jobs and Apple. I enjoyed reading most of this book but began to lose interest about half way through. For the most part I feel like the book was very well written. The parts I liked most were the parts on how the conflict between Google and Apple started once Android started to take off. I did however feel like the author’s personal opinions ruined much of the book. I was shocked that so many of the former Apple employees who had such big parts in making these products what they are, are no longer with the company. I think that I would have enjoyed the book a bit more if the whole book would have been based on more of the behind the scenes stories behind the companies. I think that this book is a great reading assignment for entrepreneur classes because it goes into detail about the two biggest technological companies in the world and how they became so successful.
on January 5, 2014
Books about technology's progress and impact are a little too common. Some of us readers avoid most tech business books after we read the first one that teaches us nothing new. And then there are so many that boldly predict a future that never happens – again wasting our time. Hence, I've been avoiding them for years.

But an excerpt from "Dogfight..." caught my eye, and being that it was about Apple (admitted Apple addict since finding a Mac in a friend's closet in 1984) I felt it was time to 'read tech' again. I'm thankful I did.

The author is engaging, so it's a hard book to put down. The insights into the cultures of the two companies and the changing use of patents in legal strategy may be nothing new to daily readers of the Wall Street Journal, Wired, Mashable, TechCrunch and other sources. But for the readers who choose not to take on a steady diet of those topics—much less analyze the rapidly transforming world of entertainment content—this book presents a valuable, concise, and presumed accurate perspective on some of the most important change going on in business today.

While the author doesn't predict the future, he gives us enough understanding of the many players in the two key fields slowly merging, entertainment and technology, that we come away from the book wiser, more aware, and optimistic about our lives to come.
on January 12, 2014
This was a great read. I enjoyed every minute and definitely deserves 5 stars.

With that being said, I felt that the book didn't end well. I was really disappointed that the author didn't weight in on what to expect in the coming years, where each platform is heading, what are the competitive edges Google and Apple relay on, and what exactly differentiates one from the other. I could also used some sort of criteria that if one platform achieves, it will have a better chance at winning. As someone who have been following every detail of the fight since Android was first announced, I have formed some opinion on that, and I was hoping to read Mr. Vogelstein's opinion as well.

However, after a few days of reflecting on the book, I remembered that the story the book is telling is not finished yet, and chapters and sections are being wrote almost every week. While I have formed an immature opinion on where things might be heading, Mr. Vogelstein, being a book author, could not have stated his opinion without solid bases. Therefore, my only take on this book is that it was written too early. I think a few years from now, another book will come out telling the same story, but in a more complete way.
on December 21, 2013
The first two chapters were great. It's quickly goes downhill from there. There is very little (if any) new information presented here. If always becomes apparent as you read the book, that the author is not a fan of Apple and their closed system of products. To me this started to make the book feel biased, which made me second guess what I was reading.

You can find the first two chapters excerpted online, I wish I had stuck to those and saved my money on the rest of the book.
on January 16, 2014
If you're a hobbyist that follows Apple and Android/Google you'll want to read this book. It presents a behind the scenes look you don't get elsewhere and shows what it really takes to reinvent the wheel. Dogfight does a great job at portraying what the Apple engineers went through designing a revolutionary device, the pressure they were under, and the overall atmosphere inside of Apple HQ. After the introduction of the iPhone Dogfight turns it's focus on Android development, and discusses each companies struggle to become the dominating force in the present day platform war.

There are a lot of details in the book you'll already know just from following tech sites, however the book does a great job presenting information that I haven't found elsewhere. I only give it 4 out of 5 stars due to the fact I feel it could have gone into a lot more detail on many topics covered.
on December 10, 2013
This book is the most cogent, insightful distillation of how Apple and Google have changed the world that I've seen. Not only does Vogelstein give us great juicy details about exactly what happened and how, he also points to what's coming next and why. We are in the middle of a massive reordering of how we interact, buy, and get entertained. This book is the best description of our times out there. To read this book is to see the whole landscape in a new way. It's a rare book that does this. Dogfight succeeds!