Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Board book|Change
Price:$2.21+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 844 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,025 reviews
on June 23, 2016
Leave it to Sandra Boynton to come up with counting book that has you barking and howling like a dog...you just have to! My littles love when I read it. The rest of the family just thinks I'm nuts. Each page adds a dog that, of course, barks in a different way...so you have to bark for each dog every time you turn the page, which makes for quite the fun time.
I have read other reviews who state that they are annoyed there is no story with the book. I don't think a story is necessary. Some books are best kept simple and this is no exception. Super fun to read, if you get into it.
on August 24, 2016
A fun numbers book, through man's best friends. Baby boy enjoys hearing the added sound effects of different doggies. Husband looks at me like I'm crazy. Don't care!
review image review image
on May 11, 2015
I bought this little book because my toddler loves dogs and she loves to make barking noises. She loves to carry this book around the house. She enjoys flipping through the pages, pointing at the dogs, and barking. There is not a storyline in the book but, for the price you really cant go wrong. This book brings her so much enjoyment.
review image
on January 3, 2015
With ten dogs in all shapes and sizes, it is no surprise that they would have a variety of barks. My husband and I thought we would have to invent ten voices but after the first read, our 20mo decided to take on the role of #2 with a "yap yap!" that might just be one of the cutest sounds ever. And #3, ...nnn...nnn...nnn..., there must be something about this one that children are drawn to because like many other reviewers my son LOVES this dog, kisses the page every time (he points at him in several other Boynton books and says "nnn nnn nnn"). We have had the book two months now and it is still fun because we keep it silly, enlisting visitors to join in whenever possible. It has definitely become a performance piece in our house. We are huge fans of Sandra Boynton with a dozen of her books, this one may have less text but it does not disappoint.
on October 17, 2015
This is cute, though the pages seem a bit cluttered (which would be hard to avoid for a counting book.) The various doggies each have a different sound they make, from bark, to whine, to howl. At the end a cat breaks the pattern.

It isn't as inviting as some, to pick up and read to a non-verbal baby, which is what I am looking for at the moment in board books.

My favorites of the Boynton books are "Blue Hat, Green Hat," "Moo, Baa, La-La-La," and after that would be "Barnyard Dance." I also just previewed "Snuggle Puppy" on YouTube (a great way to preview books), and THAT is the Boynton doggie book I SHOULD have ordered.

For counting books (though not a board book, I think), I love Mem Fox's "Let's Count Goats." That is so much more than just counting, and with funny rhymes that roll off your tongue, it is a delight to read.

Update: Now tested by two year old twin niece & nephew, one obssessed with dogs... This one falls a bit flat. Some mild interest with the different dog sounds, but they are bored before the end. The book also does not lend itself well to the actual counting. Many other books, with engaging stories, lend themselves better to stop & count something on the page. This one, you *might* get out the different dog sounds on the page before they are bored and wanting to turn the page or wander around. Forget about also pointing and counting on the cluttered page. The Snuggle Puppy, Going to Bed Book, Not The Hippopotamus (Daddy's wry reading voice, channeling David Attenborough, of the "but [pause] not the hippopotamus" part really livens that one up) , and Moo Baa Lalala are their favorites. Horns to Toes and Opposites are the other Boynton books they own that fall in the "not the favorite" category, that aren't bad, but only occasionally get read.

Their other favorites outside of Boynton include Boom Chicka Boom, I am a Bunny (parents add sound effects to each page, even if it is just "pluck, pluck, pluck, pluck" for picking flowers, crunch for leaves, or wind sounds for snow), and Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball (I think the regular & board books may be different for this...they are both delightful.)
on July 13, 2017
Sandra Boynton writes, hands down, my favorite children's books. I learned about them when our school librarian bought a couple for my daughter. Her illustrations are adorable and her stories are too! Barnyard Dance is my favorite,but I won almost all of them. Some are educational (Opposites) and some are just fun (Dinosaur Dance). I have also bought these as gifts and everyone absolutely adores them. If you are looking for a short, fun book for a little kid, get one of these. They might not be complex enough to hold the attention of older kids though (but I don't know because I don't have any older kids).
on May 27, 2015
My 1 year old picks out his own stories each night and for a while this was the only book he wanted to read. He recognizes the numbers 0 through 10 and this book helped teach him what it means to count. He points at the dogs on each page and I count them. So on the page with two dogs and the number 2, we count to 2 and then he points to the 2. He absolutely loves it. The repetition is really solidifying counting in his mind and now he likes counting everything. He can't say most of the numbers yet, but I'm sure he's counting in his mind. It's a very cute book. It also has all different dog sounds (ie; woof, bow wow, etc). Sometimes we do the noises, but he prefers the counting.
on November 14, 2015
This book makes me hoarse, but I love it. My dog, Roxy comes in the room whenever I read it to my son to see what the heck is going on. It is a simple counting book. Each dog has a unique bark and the sound seems to fit the picture of each dog. By the time I get to 10 dogs my throat starts to hurt from the barking, but it's totally worth it to see the smile on my son's face.
on September 19, 2016
Super fun book where you bark a different bark as each dog is introduced. When you read it and do the barks, have your child repeat after you and they will be sure to have tons of fun! Our 3-year old boy asked for this book (upon seeing it on the back cover of The Going to Bed Book) and he loved it.
on January 16, 2017
My 14 month old and I love Sandra Boynton books, but this one is terrible! It's just countinf with a bunch of random dog noises thrown in (they get annoying to repeat and some are stupid, what does nnn-nn-nnn mean?). She had no interest in it and neither did I. Disappointing because she loves dogs but this book is just not creative or enjoyable like Boynton's others. Skip it!