Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on September 22, 2014
Amazon sells two different models, which I didn't realize. I'm returning this one and getting the other one. Although this seems fine, especially for the price, the other one has features that I prefer. I bought the one for $323 and I wanted a second one. When I did a search to buy a second one this model came up. I thought there had just been a price drop.

When I received this one I noticed several things instantly. There wasn't a back pocket, the back door wasn't solid with a pocket. This one the back door was a screen. That can be a perk or a minus depending on your needs. I got hooked on having the big outside pocket, for quick access to their leashes, water bowl, and treats. Having the solid double fabric also made the trailer seem sturdier.

Second thing that is different are the wheels. The one for $323 has quick release wheels and they seem much sturdier and solidly attached than this model's wheels.

Third difference, at the base of the front entrance there is additional reinforcement and padding, for dog's that like to rest their heads on the base of the entrance, if you have the entrance unzipped. This is a nice feature for your pup, but it also gives the entrance more support making the entrance flap and front in general, sturdier.

Last but not least, this one is listed as weighing 38 pounds and the $323 listed as 30 pounds. Weight is important to me because I tour with my two dogs that weigh 52 pounds combined, and I'm also carrying their food and camping gear. Shaving off 8 pounds make a difference.

This is a good trailer and no doubt would work fine. If you're planning on touring with your dog I'd recommend the $323 trailer http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000UOUODE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

As for the trailer itself-- my dogs were reluctant at first. I took them one at a time for short little rides. By the third ride they were hooked! Be gentle and teach them to enter consistently through one of the doors. They recommend the rear door. They wear a safety harness and I attach them to the safety lead that is included. When we first start out the Jack Russell squeaks she's so excited. They both love riding in it now and get very excited and jump in right away.

I recommend that you be very conservative until you and your dog are used to the trailer. Have your dog in a harness, attached to the safety leash, all doors zipped closed. Adjust the leash so your dog doesn't have enough length to jump out. Give your dog a treat when he gets into the trailer. Stop along the way and praise him.

Once you understand the dynamics of pulling a trailer it will be worry free. However, trailers do trip, any trailer, not just this particular brand. I thought I was taking a hill slowly and made the left hand turn with adequate caution, but I didn't. My first time with both dogs, I didn't think about the additional weight and momentum and when I made the the turn the trailer flipped on it's side. At the time they were just in collars attached to the safety leash. They slipped out of their collars and out the door they went. I had the door unzipped. I was very lucky that it was a quiet road, my dogs are well trained, and two people happened to be walking by.

That's why I recommend the harness, keeping the doors zipped until you and your pooch are used to the trailer.

DON'T be scared off though. I learned a lot from that mistake. We've since done a two week tour that had a lot of climbing and going down steep passes. Really steep passes. Not a single mishap because I learned from my mistake and took the time to learn how the trailer handled curves and bumps.

We had a great time and the trailer (the $323 model is what I had) handled beautifully and held up incredibly well. We did a lot of off road and gravel road riding and it handled it very well.

I think Doggieride is a good company. The Dutch are passionate about cycling and gear and that's reflected in their products.

ADDITION: over 1,000 miles later the $323 trailer looks practically new. I am pleasantly surprised by how well it held up. Only one flat tire and that was from evil thorny seed pods called goat heads found in south eastern California and Arizona. Planning to do the Pacific Coast Route this summer. Besides being a fabulous trailer for the dogs I also use it to do errands when I need more space than my panniers can handle. Money well spent.
review image review image review image review image
66 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2011
We purchased the original dog bike trailer to allow us to take our dog on longer bike rides. When she gets tired from running we just put her inside the trailer and we can keep riding. When she is ready for another run we hook her up to the dog jogger and away we go. Wish we would have bought this years ago. It was quick and easy to assemble, folds up nicely for transport and storage. The trailer is well built and large enough for us to put a small cooler in the trailer along with our 50 pound dog. You don't even know it is behind you unless the dog is inside and then only slightly when on an incline. Our dog is crate trained and she climbed inside while we were putting it together so there was zero issues of her climbing inside on the bike path. She was content as could be. Very satisfied and would recommend to anyone looking to enjoy time on their bikes with their pooch.
on July 10, 2014
Good: Great delivery. Very easy to set up.

Bad: Totally unusable for those with internal geared bikes. Would have been nice to know before the purchase. The last page of the instructions have a small statement that says you must buy an adapter to use the trailer with internal geared hubs. Went back on Amazon and spent another $40 to order the adapter. The knob on the adapter is too large and does not fit the length of the dog trailer hitch. Which, makes the whole thing unusable and a pain the butt to return.

Please check specifications before you buy.
on November 19, 2014
rides great, easy to attach and detach, full motion allows bike to be laid down while putting dogs inside. was missing some washers due to box not being sealed completely but easily replaced
on January 24, 2014
The trailer needs two axles for the wheels, but I received mine without one axle. Of course, I am not able to put one of the wheels, so this product instead of being a trailer it's just a kennel. I tried to contact the sellers twice, asking them for the missing axle, but they didn't answer me. I would think twice before buying something to this seller because you are paying a lot of money for something that doesn't works how it should.
on August 18, 2014
Very well constructed, easy to assemble and disassemble for use/storage
on March 14, 2015
Worked good for 2 shih tzus
on December 1, 2014
great
on April 30, 2014
I love this thing. I have only tried it as a jogger (I bought the jogger kit with this) and it has been great. I will be hooking it up to my bike as soon as the weather improves a little. Very good quality. Easy to put together. My dog really likes the ride. I have a 45lb beagle/heeler/mutt mix breed. She loves riding with her head out the top. She is recovering from a knee injury so I love that she is still able to join me on walks : )
on November 7, 2013
I wish I had more time to use this before it got cold out but man next spring is going to be a blast. You can barely feel the weight when empty and when my 70 lb valley bulldog is in it, it moves along with very little extra effort. Great product, no complaints.