Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 989 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,042 reviews
on June 30, 2012
Mar 18 edit

I like this monopod but the seller, not so much for now.

Dolica (the maker) is misleading Amazon shoppers. They are now selling a completely separate new model, Dolica WT-1010, which is fine, but they merged the new model into the reputation of the older model to inflate the rating and deceive shoppers. Amazon is also part to blame for trying to make it easy by consolidating similar models of numerous electronics into a single page, which in turn combines reviews too and makes all the more confusion.

Go in your search bar and type Dolica WT 1010 and you will see the newly released monopod has a 4.5 rating from 733 reviews. Except it doesn't. All of those reviews apply for the older model and anyone inclined to buy would believe the new model is highly rated, but it isn't. You claim something, but it isn't so, that's fraud isn't it? You look up Manfrotto monopods and see not even a company like them has to resort to such actions.

Due to this, I am downgrading my rating by one star. If the situation changes or the maker provides a satisfactorily response I can just as easily upgrade to before, but not today.

Jan 23, 2015 edit:
Yep still here. Not much as changed since my last revision. A monopod is pretty self explanatory.

Oh. I fixed the loose and shakey tripod head thing whatever you call it (tripod head on a monopod, what). Turns out, the rubber grip, if you slide it downwards it reveals some screws that hold the head together. There's three holes when I checked there were only two screws so either someone in the PRC short changed me or during my photo laden adventures in the past 2.5 years I lost a screw in a place long forgotten. Probably the latter. Oh well, I'll just buy another if I have to. Or save for a better monopod.

But yeah, slide the grip off, tighten the screws, and now the head shouldn't be shaking anymore. For now.

March 25, 2014 edit:

I'd had this for just under two years. After being thrown around, hung from a belt (looks like a baton, agagaga) and now carried in a shotgun scabbard, it has some wear.

The first arm locking mechanism, the inside plastic thing whatever it is, is partially damaged. It can still lock fine but the action isn't smooth anymore.

The monopod head is now slightly loose. Though it can still stabilize a DSLR true to its original intention as I bought it a year or two ago, it's time for me to start thinking of a more pricy replacement.

Nonetheless, at the time it was a proper choice to buy this monopod and for holding audio devices, it will continue to serve well, as it did for the events I've been to that required one.

---

I'm an aspiring filmmaker in Central Florida.

My DSLR's onboard audio is a terrible 11,000 Hz and does not support inputs of any kind. So I have an external digital recorder that solves that. I also have a tripod, but that's a bit too awkward to hold horizontally. It also makes noise that gets picked up to the recorder because the legs can never be locked fully, no matter the position. Now I needed a way to hold it in the air above actors reading dialogue. It's not quite a professional boom microphone but I imagine anyone who ever purchased a DSLR and one extra lens knows what a budget looks like.

So, I purchased the monopod. Pretty simple to use. And light. Light enough I would not use it as a walking stick but it can handle my DSLR fine. I haven't tried a prosumer camcorder though and considering the prices on those, maybe shouldn't use a monopod on that equipment.

Anyways, it works. There's no rattling or anything on this stick. Only thing that can make noise is the lanyard strap on the head, but I could easily remove it since I don't plan on using it. Otherwise, even when held at a 45 degree angle this stick is stable.

I guess now I have to make sure whoever operates doesn't move their fingers too much so it doesn't get picked up by the DR or check that the preview headphone wires don't bump around the monopod. Still though, if needed, I'd buy another. The price isn't too bad either, at least it wasn't when I paid $14.61 for it. And I'm a shaky hands person so $14.61 for more stable pictures isn't a bad deal, especially with other ones costing $30 around here.
review image review image
on August 7, 2017
I own several good camera tripods but they were too big and bulky for a trip to Alaska, so I read the reviews of several monopods and purchased this one.

This monopod is well constructed, feels sturdy, and extends and collapses fairly easily. It extends to a good height and comes with a convenient soft carrying bag with shoulder strap. However, even when collapsed to its smallest size it is too long to fit in a typical backpack, which is probably why a carrying bag is provided.

Also, the head, where the camera attaches, does not tilt up and down or from side to side, which means it is necessary to tilt the entire monopod around from side to side or front to back or raise it up and down if the picture you are taking isn’t exactly aligned with the height of the camera. (Example: If you are shooting a picture of a bird in a tree, you might raise the monopod to its full height and tilt it slightly back; however, if the bird flies to the ground, in order to get its picture you would either have to lift the foot of the monopod off the ground so you can tilt the camera downward, or remove the camera from the monopod, by which time the bird might have flown away.) Adjustable/tiltable heads are common on tripods, but I now understand that they are not common on monopods.

For these reasons I returned the tripod. However, if you don't need a built-in tilting function, and if collapsed length doesn't matter to you, then this sturdy monopod might work for you.
on September 18, 2017
This monopod has been a trooper on the soccer field side lines over the last three years taking photos every week for my kid's premier soccer games. It is lightweight and sturdy without the cost of carbon fiber. I use a Sony a77ii with a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 lens on top of this puppy, and it's been stiff enough. Definitely recommend this for a low cost all-round good monopod for amateur sports photography and general use.

Do get a good ball head with a steel/metal ball and stem - I originally got the Giottos MH 1004 with a plastic ball when I bought this monopod, but it has worn out and doesn't screw tight any more. Just got a new ball head by Gosky with a metal ball that I hope will last longer.

The carrying case doesn't have enough length to zip close with a ball head attached, but it's a nice extra to keep the monopod away from dirt and the elements and sling over your shoulders if I'm not carrying my camera bag that I usually it attach to.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 1, 2016
This is very light weight and functional Monopod. I already have a Dolica tripod that I love, so I did not hesitate to order this to improve my mobility to take along on a hike or walkabout. The Monopod is very light - I measured it at only 12.7 oz or .79 lbs. The carry bag is 22" long so this is a super lightweight and portable monopod. My Canon 5D Mark III camera with the heavy telephoto Canon 70-200mm 1:28 lens attached weighs 5lbs and 12 oz, so I'm almost up to the 6.7 lbs support limit of this monopod. It seems a lot of people purchase the Professional Mini Ball Head Camera Mount along with this monopod and that's probably a good cost-effective option if you have a camera that weighs less than a couple of pounds or point-and-shoot. However, for my full frame camera with heavy telephoto lens, I ended up getting BEIKE BK-03 Camera Tripod Ball Head Ballhead with Quick Release Plate 1/4" Screw along with Rock Steady SS Stainless Steel 1/4" to 3/8" Bushing Adapter/Tripod 50mm Diameter Desmond adaptor to ensure secure support. However, the all-metal ball head with quick release plate weighs more than this monopod at 13.2oz that you shold be aware of. If you're hiking for good landscape photos or excessive tilting isn't required such as in wild-life shooting, I'd just screw the monopod's 1/4" thread directly on the camera body.
review image
on January 2, 2013
At first I was skeptic about ordering a monopod rather than a tripod. However, I am pleased with it. It holds my camera nicely and is very sturdy. Feels to me as though it will last a while. A nice addition to this item may be a ball head camera mount which would make it easier to move the camera around. All in all, this product is what I expected and is, for its price, very nice. I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a monopod.
review image review image review image
This is a light-weight, affordable and easy to use tool perfect for any amateur photography arsenal. I primarily use this with my Canon Rebel DSLR for macro photography. Tripod is best for macro photography but not always practical in small space or crowded public areas. I have a pretty steady hand and having a monopod certainly helps with macro shots. It collapses easily so when I need to go on the move, I just collapse it while it's still attached to the camera. It's light enough and small enough while collapsed that it's not too cumbersome to keep attached to the camera.

This is definitely a cheap monopod but it serves a purpose. I honestly wasn't looking to spend more money on a tool that I don't use often. This is a great budget item to help amateurs get their shots!
on March 3, 2016
Do not buy this in combo with the GX600B200 Proline thinking you can interchange the ball head.

I made that mistake and currently mad enough to want to return both.

I purchased the combo thinking I can interchange the heads and not having to buy another piece/thread converter.

I was really only looking forward to the monopod as I hike and mountain climb more than I do still shoots and now I must waste more money for a thread converter piece and wait even longer.

Also has the cheap plastic smell on the rubber foots. I'm currently leaving it out in the sun to bake it off and I can still smell the chemical smoke smell from within the house.

Beware if you have kids/dogs that gets curious.
I'll just say that among the monopods out there that are under $20, the Dolica WT-1003 is a fantastic monopod for its price and quality.

I. INSIDE THE BOX

Inside the box is a Dolica Lightweight Monopod with a bag. The monopod has three levers for extension and has the rubber footing on the bottom that can be twisted up to reveal the spike (for outdoor use).

II. COMPARISONS

Compared to the Vivitar Monopod, they are the same size. In fact, they look very much the same with the levers having different line length but everything from top to bottom is the same with the exception of the grip. If you want a thicker grip, then the Dolica is perfect. If you want a thinner grip, then go for the Vivitar. I prefer the thicker grip to hold on to when using my camera.

As for the Opteka, I prefer the connections of the Dolica and Vivitar to my Pistol ball head grip but in terms of build, the Dolica is the better of the three because of the build and the thicker grip.

III. EXPERIENCE

My setup is using a Canon T3i on an Opteka Sidewinder pistol grip using a variety of lenses and this monopod has held on to my equipment PERFECTLY! I have extended it high...but had no need to shoot that high yet. I have used it while up on the short ladder but still, no need to have it extend to the maximum. Also, I've learned from certain Tripods that you go to maximum, you can have some breakage. I haven't had that problem with the Dolica but if you don't need to use the maximum, then don't. Otherwise if you need more height and will be using a heavy lens, then you may want to go with a thicker monopod (and of course, more expensive).

JUDGMENT CALL:

I have never purchased a Dolica product but this is my first time using one and it's their monopod. Of the three, the Dolica is better and for your money's worth, you get a pretty sturdy monopod, with a thicker grip and also a bag for less than $15.

Of the under $20 monopods, this one is the best! Highly recommended!
on June 20, 2015
Very very nice monopod for under $15.00. Operates Smoothly and locks securely. Nice foam grip handle too. I mounted a nice, professional, aluminum ball head onto this aluminum monopod and it turned out very very nice. Legs operate smoothly and lock securely. Nice fit and finish. You will need a 1/4" NC Female to 3/8" NC Male adapter to mount a ball head on this....My complaints are....I really wish the case/bag was a little bit longer so I could keep the ball head mounted to the monopod while storing the assembly in the bag/case....Also, the wrist strap/leash is way too small for adult hands. Other than these 2 points, this monopod is VERY NICE and a bargain under $15.00.
This Monopod, while a very sturdy design, doesn't work for me.

I'm not sure if I got a defective unit or what, but I could not get the rubber foot to come off or pull back; there's no instructions. I shouldn't be that hard, but I just couldn't figure out how to use the spike. More importantly, I thought it would have a 1/4" screw connection for a tripod; it did not. Or, at least, because I couldn't get to the threaded spike, it didn't. I had mainly intended to use it with a GoPro and a "Three Feet Support Holder Stand Base for Digital SLR Camera Camcorder and Monopod Unipod with 1/4 Screw". Thus, I returned it.

To be just, it was a nice monopod; the foot just wasn't versatile enough to work with a GoPro and a stand.