Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on February 22, 2017
Do not buy, because seller don't feel responsible for the quality or false claims.! I did receive the item in October, but had yet to have an opportunity to use it. While preparing my equipment, I felt that my camera was not secure. I contacted the seller and they told me that the return window was closed and they were not responsible for the quality of their items. How is that possible? I did attempt to use the item and, as expected, broke in less than 5 minutes. I was smart enough to keep my neck strap on, but someone else may not be. They claim that the item will support 6.7 pounds, but my 4 pound camera was enough to break it. The screw that is supposed to secure the camera to the monopod was glued in (and barely at that). See the pictures and decide yourself. Do you dare to attach your camera to that?
review imagereview image
11 comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
EVALUATION
This is a full-size monopod---not a gorilla of a monopod, but full-size. Ironically the very same monopod is sold under different brandnames as a "light weight", as a "heavy duty", and as a "professional" monopod---it is NONE of these. Given that it is actually an average weight (at best), light-duty, amateur monopod, it is an excellent design, and a very good value.

The monopod is NOT "professional grade", meaning that it probably will NOT stand up to abuse, and/or constant use, and/or a heavy cameras with a 1000mm lens. Nevertheless a careful pro who occassional uses a monopod for a small to medium-size camera (or is careful to balance larger loads) would probably be very pleased with it. It does everything a monopod should do, and does those things well. It operates quickly and easily, and is very sturdy, proving solid support. Read the 1-star reviews carefully, but take them "with a grain of salt."

IDENTICAL MONOPODS WITH OTHER BRANDNAMES (may be cheaper)
Except for a very slightly different grip, the Dolica is absolutely identical with the Vivitar VIV-VT-67 67-Inch Monopod or the AmazonBasics AmazonBasics 67-Inch Monopod. Except for a green case, the Opteka MP100 67" Professional Heavy Duty Photo / Video Monopod is absolutely identical to the Dolica. Exactly the same monopod is sold under the "Digital Pro" brandname.

VITAL STATISTICS
> Length: 21 ¼" long fully-collapsed; 67" tall fully extended
> Diameter: uppermost section is 1"; foam grip 1 3/8"; strap ferrule 1 ½"
> Weight: 14 oz; case 3 oz; total 17 oz

FEATURES
> Maximum Height: 67", more than tall enough for most purposes.
> Minimum Height: 21", 23--24" with a (virtually required) ballhead/tilt-head is a little tall for some closeup nature subjects.
> Head (camera threads, etc.): The design is odd, with an free-wheeling plastic collar around a small metal stem (and camera threads), the collar is free-wheeling so that it will not scratch the base of your camera--but you still have to rotate the monopod or your camera to screw them together, or apart. (A few confused reviewers thought that they could just turn the collar to attach/detach the camera, and when that didn't work, they thought it was broken. Turning the collar doesn't do anything, that's just the way it is). Reportedly the metal stem breaks off if you put it under alot of strain (such as a heavy camera). Then, because the attached collar is free-wheeling, it is very difficult to remove the stem from your camera. If that happens, I suspect that you could glue the collar to the stem with a little crazy-glue and then easily unscrew it from your camera. The problem is best avoided by simply NOT attaching your camera directly to the monopod. Instead always used a "quick connect", a tilt head, or a ball head (see below).
> Lanyard: adequate for hanging the monopod from a hook, but too weak to rely on for as a walking stick hand strap.
> Grip: Foam rubber, provides good grip and cushion.
> Body: Channels prevent rotation.
> Thumb locks: Operate quickly and smoothly, and lock securely---actually just a tad too easily. I fear that with a little wear, that the locks will slip. Unlike the less convenient "twist to lock" design (used on many other monopods/tripods), you can't just "twist harder"---there is nothing you can do if the lock doesn't hold. Honestly, I am torn about applying a little silicon grease to the locks to minimize wear, and the concern that the grease might encourage slipping. If you get one with tight leg locks, the silicon grease is highly recommended, it will both make the action smoother and protect against wear---lightly apply to the levers where they rub against the monopod column. Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-up Grease - 3 oz. Note that unlike petroleum grease, silicon grease does not damage plastic or attract dirt.
> Tip: Metal tip for hard surfaces; plastic tip screws out over metal tip for indoor surfaces. Neither tip can come loose and get lost. The metal tip is not particularly sharp, and the plastic tip is not soft. That is, the metal tip might slip on smooth rocks, and while the plastic tip will protect most indoor surfaces from scratches, it does little to protect your camera from the jarring of impacts (which is VERY bad for cameras). Therefore it is best NOT to leave your camera on your monopod if you use the monopod as a walking stick. A "quick connect" such as Sima Quick Connect for Tripod can be handy.
> Case: Rugged, attractive black nylon, with full-length zipper and an adjustable shoulder strap. Unfortunately the case will not close with a ball head attached. The usual plastic fittings will not rust, but can be broken by abusive use.

AS A TRAVEL MONOPOD
At 21" collapsed the monopod is too large to fit in most airplane carry-on luggage. Airport security will probably confiscate it if found. 17oz is on the heavy side for travel. For travel, I use a very similar Norazza Monopod-lightweight TD140, which collapses to 15 ½" x ¾" diameter, weighs only 7oz, but is too short (52") for birding and some other situations. But see my review for suggestions about extensions.

AS A TRAVEL MONOPOD / WALKING STICK / HIKING POLE
A proper hiking pole needs a substantial strap, so that you do not have to have a death-grip on the grip for hours at a time. The supplied lanyard is totally inadequate for this purpose and cannot be replaced with a more substantial strap. However, if use a ballhead, you can install the ends of a replacement strap beneath the ball head. I have not found replacement straps for sale---but you can make one from a 12" length of 1" black nylon webbing you probably have lying around form old equipment---use a soldering gun to cauterize a ~1/4" hole in the webbing, 1/2" from each end. For travel, when I will be hiking, I use a Stansport Outdoorsman Trekking Pole which has camera threads (and therefore can be used as a monopod), and has a very sharp metal tip for gripping ice or rocks and a very shock absorbing rubber tip for indoor surfaces (but I use the rubber tip outdoors to protect my camera from jarring).

ESSENTIAL ACCESSORY
MANY reviewers report that the head (where your camera screws onto the monopod) can break off attached to your camera, and then can be difficult to remove from your camera. The best insurance against damage to your camera is to use a ball-head or tilt head, which I consider essential anyway (or a "quick connect" see above). For example, Professional Mini Ball Head Camera Mount which is adequate for small to medium-size cameras. Unfortunately the monopod will not fit in the case with the ball-head attached. The silicon grease I mentioned earlier will also make the action of a ball head smoother---usually only a concern shooting video on a tripod, but it's worth knowing. But keep the silicon very far from your lens---it may be very difficult to remove.

BALL HEAD OR TILTHEAD
For video, when you will never take verticals---a tilt head is by far the best solution, the limited motion is more controllable. Manfrotto 234 Monopod Tilt Head (Replaces 3232) But for stills, when you may want to take an occasional vertical, a ball-head is prefered. A compound tripod head offers both options, but requires at least three hands, one to hold the monopod, one (or two) to operate the head, and one for your camera---in contrast, you can hold the monopod and operate a ball-head or tilt-head with one hand.

> Click on “Stoney” just below the product title to see my other reviews, or leave a comment to ask a question.
3232 comments| 476 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 30, 2016
The mounting base broke after a few months of very light use. When it broke my canon and attached lens fell to the ground. Luckily, I was using it on astro turf which helped cushion the fall. I have emailed Dolica's customer service department several times and I have not recieved one response. Very disappointed. I spent the extra money and bought a Benro Adventure 4 Series Aluminum Monopod (MAD49A) and could not be more satisfied. You get what you pay for so.....
I bought this monopod to use with my Canon camera. I take thousands of photos for our sons' sports teams, and my arms get tired and shaky about an hour into a game. This monopod makes it much easier to sit or stand and take non-shaky photos.

The monopod itself is very well made, with a wrist strap, carrying/storage bag, telescoping body (18"-67") with secure clips to hold the height adjustment, a rubber base/tip and a metal tip for inside or dirt use, and a good quality universal screw to mount the camera.

I've used it three times now, and really like it. Especially for still shots, it stabilizes the camera perfectly.
on September 18, 2017
This monopod has been a trooper on the soccer field side lines over the last three years taking photos every week for my kid's premier soccer games. It is lightweight and sturdy without the cost of carbon fiber. I use a Sony a77ii with a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 lens on top of this puppy, and it's been stiff enough. Definitely recommend this for a low cost all-round good monopod for amateur sports photography and general use.

Do get a good ball head with a steel/metal ball and stem - I originally got the Giottos MH 1004 with a plastic ball when I bought this monopod, but it has worn out and doesn't screw tight any more. Just got a new ball head by Gosky with a metal ball that I hope will last longer.

The carrying case doesn't have enough length to zip close with a ball head attached, but it's a nice extra to keep the monopod away from dirt and the elements and sling over your shoulders if I'm not carrying my camera bag that I usually it attach to.
on December 26, 2013
This monopod was not expensive. At all. However, I was impressed when I received it and have now used it for some time (over 1 year). The feel and finish is not what you'd expect for this price. It is light, but not cheap feeling. The lock-unlock levers for the extension leg are small-ish, but well designed and have not 'loosened.' Not aircraft grade either. Extension and retraction of the leg is precise and with no tendency to lock or twist. When planted on the ground with a Canon 7d DSLR it feels good. The camera does not dance on top of this item. The pod itself is about 5 foot 9 inches tall fully extended. Retracted is about arm's length (about 2.25 feet). Has a pointed metal foot with screw-out rubber to prevent this metal point damaging delicate surfaces. The screw-out rubber has a stop and will not come off the leg. The finish is not matte, but not luster or semi-gloss and seems well applied. I do not use this monopod in harsh environments, such as beach side. The upper grip foam is of good quality and upon twisting it, will move to your desired position within reason. It does not seem to loosen even with repeated re-positioning. The top of the pod has a standard camera screw. Finally, the devil is in the details: The bag it came with is good and that the zipper is solid feeling, unlike other budget bags. It also has an adjustable length shoulder strap to carry this pod. I am very happy with this purchase.
on January 6, 2015
Just what the doctor ordered for a bit of extra support for my Canon G12. I also purchased a compact ball head (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000L47AHG/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_3) to give it even more versatility. The length is just righ for my 6'2" height, but of course it is adjustable to any height per the specs. I used it recently to take photos of my granddaughters dance recital. I was able to raise the camera high enough to not be taking photos of the back of the heads of those seated in front of me. My camera has a rotating viewing screen so I could clearly see what I was shooting, and I used a cabled remote shutter release. Worked like a charm. :-)

I have not yet used the monopod for stabilizing the camera while standing, but I know it will be of great use there also. At 65 years of age, I can't hold a camera as steady as I once could, so this will give me what I need for that extra stability I am missing.

This product seems to be very well made. Everything works smoothly and the locking mechanisms are very secure. It also has spike that you can extend from the bottom by rotating the rubbery disk for use on bare ground. Retract the point for indoor or hard outdoor surfaces. Oh, and it also comes with a very nice carry pouch.
on July 18, 2016
I have used this monopod for more than a year and absolutely love it. The price is beyond fair for the quality of this unit. I take a lot of insect pictures and with my little Lumix DMC zs50, I am amazed at the sharpness of the details I can achieve with the Dolica. The quick release extensions work smoothly, the padded handle is great. Although it is not advertised as a walking stick, I have removed the camera and used it to aid me down steeper slopes.

I've one criticism; the loop on the handle is way to small to get your hand in and out of quickly, and I wear an extra small size glove. You do have to keep tightening the bottom piece or it will fall off and you will loose it. Still, for less than $17, this is an outstanding value.
on September 18, 2014
Truly – Quality way beyond the price!
I am not crazy about writing reviews, and seldom due. First of all, I have been a photographer for 40+ years, and have had the good fortune of being able to use some of the finest quality gear the market has had to offer. Now that I am retired, I shoot on a professional basis only. With that said:
I judge equipment by its performance over time and durability. I bought this monopod about a year ago as a quick replacement for another monopod that I have had for many years. I only intended to use this for a short time, thus the reason for buying a “cheap throw away” or a quick solution to my needs. Big….Huge….Pleasant Surprise! I have used this (I mean really used) monopod extensively over the past year. I have a back problem and use a walking stick on a daily basis. I was so impressed with this product that I decided to use it for a walking stick/monopod since I am attached to my camera all the time. The Dolica WT 1003 is so light and well built that I also bought three (3) more. Two as gifts for two fellow photographers (they now share the same views) and another one for me just in case the manufacturer stops making them, or changes it. I shoot a Fuji and a Nikon camera. In conjunction with this Mono, I use a Sirui G-10 G10X G Series Ball Head that I also got from Amazon. (about $100) My heaviest set up is the Nikon d7100 and a 150-600mm lens. There is “NO PROBLEM” with the Dolica handing this set up. Conclusion: After what I have put this combo through in the last year, I felt compelled to pass the info on to others. Granted, you rarely get quality for less $$$ but this is truly one of those times. I highly recommend the Dolica WT-1003, Thanks, Bill Boone.
on August 31, 2013
This monopod is light weight, collapsible and has its own carry bag that you can throw over your shoulder. For years I have carried a tripod around, heavy and bulky, no bag to put it in. Tripod is OK for panning and up and down, monopod you can move quickly to cover a larger area of action.

The monopod is a must for these new small, light weight cameras, as it keeps the camera steady. I know that most of the cameras have "Steady Shot", even with that my stills can come out blurry. I do a lot of outdoor sports photographing, a lot or sports car racing, that requires long telephoto lens. These long shots cause the cameras to jiggle a lot, the monopod really helps. I use the monopod with my still and movie camera's as I am constantly moving around. When there is a chain link fence or a crowed of people, I mount my camera on the monopod and hold it above, for I nice clean shot. I don't take my camera's without the monopod.

Each time I use the monopod I find more applications for it. LOOK ...... It doubles as a walking stick !!!!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.