Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

Dollhouse: Season 1 [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

When the show Dollhouse came out on television, I was really intrigued with the show. Eliza Dushku plays her character very well. I enjoyed her performances on the show. The show was created by Joss Whedon. Eliza Dushku served as the series producer.

Dollhouse lasted 2 seasons. And, it was shown on FOX.

The show revolves around a corporation running numerous underground establishments, known as Dollhouses, around the globe that program individuals referred to as actives or dolls with temporary personalities and skills. Wealthy clients hire actives from Dollhouses at great expense for various purposes, including heists, sexual encounters, assassinations, expert counsel and all manner of unique experiences. The series primarily follows the active known as Echo, played by Eliza Dushku, on her journey towards self-awareness

The show does use a lot of actors and actresses from prior Whedon work as guests or on-going regulars.

It is a very interesting show, and one easily gets drawn into the stories and wanting to see more. The show was different, and it would have been nice to have had many more seasons of the show.

I recommend this show. Unfortunately, the show only lasted two seasons from 2009 to 2010. But, it is long enough to get deep enough into the series and enjoy two seasons. The show does wrap up fine in the final episodes, and the future is shown in the episodes Epitaph One and Epitaph Two which brings conclusion to the show.

Epitaph One was not aired in the US. It was included as part of the season one DVD release. Epitaph Two was shown as the last episode of the series.
on February 3, 2016
I never saw this series when it originally aired as I worked evenings, but I had heard about it from a coworker who was enamored with Ms Dushku. I watched it after becoming an amazon prime member during the so called 'Snowzilla' and got a better understanding as to why he liked the show.

The show has an interesting premise and very capable actors. Story lines vary by episode as to who the 'doll' was programmed to be. I was quite intrigued as to the events that took place and the interactions of all involved. I will probably buy this series, as I am currently streaming it. I'm a little disappointed that it only lasted 2 seasons as it had so much room to explore.
on July 17, 2015
Atypical entertainment. For those into main-stream reality shows and the sort, this really isn't for you. For those who enjoy some out-of-the-box realm thinking and frankly, into a bit of a sci-fi futuristic look of what may happen mixed with soul-searching and philosophical massaging of the brain (usually a good thing), this is perfect. I wasn't much of a Buffy fan but gravitated toward Angel and Smallville, at least in the earlier seasons when things seems more 'realistic' before 'poof' the action and realms of reality got just too far-fetched. Well, Dollhouse is consistent throughout. In fact, part because it was 'finished' in just 'two' seasons. Season 1 is really a warmer for Season 2, which heats up quick despite minimal but necessary character development and the viewer grows to love not only Echo, but the rest of the solid cash, including Victor, Topher, Whiskey, Adelle and even Sierra and Boyd. Not so sure about Paul's casting though since I just didn't see the chemistry and fit other than perhaps the few Mellie/November episodes. Now, if only there was a season 3 and continuation of guest stars (ex. Bennett/Summer Glau). I loved Terminator: the Sara O'Connor chronicles too, which unfortunately was killed by the networks (Fox again??) and doesn't have finality. Sames goes for another Whedon series, Firefly. Note, really for niche fans only so either you'll love it or hate it. Not a bad thing.
on July 1, 2013
Dollhouse is strictly a science fiction show first, and a drama and espionage program second. The grey areas of morality in human trafficking and manipulating people's personalities are at the heart of each episode. Surrounding this core are stock characters. The ice queen corporate manager, the socially awkward whiz kid, the wounded doctor, the ex-cop with a heart of gold, the spunky college girl who gets caught up in bad business, the laughing stock FBI agent who no-one believes, etc. Much like a Phillip K Dick short story, Dollhouse reshuffles the contexts and loyalties and needs of the characters on the fly to create some wildly different scenarios.. in a short story, that's great- in the show, the cool part was I never knew what was going to happen next. The bad part was after 8 hours or so I ceased caring because the characters weren't grounded in anything other than quick sketches that kept being changed. That, and the tone was whatever suited the moment. It's a thriller, it's comedy, it's sci-fi, it's a music video, it's a heist, it's existential, etc. But I never felt any liking for the characters, except for the ex-cop and the next-door neighbor, who later gets repurposed and basically becomes another empty character. In order to make a conspiracy story work, the machinery of the conspiracy has to work in a way that directly impacts a central character who you can identify with (X-Files), but you can't really identify with Echo, because she's hardly ever herself, and when she is, she is just an outraged reaction to the evil company and there's no tension, there. Who is Echo? Who cares? I guess it's the idea of a tv show that follows the exploits of memory-wiped secret agents is a thing in itself. A tv show about memory wiped secret agents who remember who they are and realize they've been used is a thing in itself. Both at the same time is- a creepypasta mess of ideas and unlikable characters. Well done, but for me? Not enjoyable.
on February 13, 2018
I do love this show, although I also find it profoundly disturbing on a couple of levels. Primarily, I am a rabid individualist, so anything that compromises someone's individuality really bothers me. Secondly, I also happen to know that there is actual research being done today that can lead to something like the Dollhouse being possible. There has already been some limited success in recording brain activity that can be interpreted by a third party. Brain-computer interface controls already exist to a limited extent. The leap from that to the Dollhouse is not nearly as large as the leap from current space exploration to the colonization of other stellar systems, a la Firefly. This show is more than anything, a precautionary tale, a warning of things to come.
on June 15, 2016
I absolutely love, love, love this show. I stumbled upon it a little late and was heartbroken to find out it had been canceled. I love the idea of them using volunteers whose brain is wiped clean and they are given a new, made to order person. This show is so interesting even I don't understand everything going on. Definitely one has to pay attention and I understand why it may not have been a bit hit with people, it requires more brain power than your normal show. I enjoy "deep" and intricate shows, so this is a winner. I wish it would come back on the air. If you've watched all the episodes and are looking for an alternative, that's on hiatus right now, check out "Humans." (British TV show)
on June 19, 2015
Firefly and Battlestar Galactica and now Dollhouse. These are a few of those shows I have to actually watch when it's on. I do a lot of like knitting and sewing and have television on in the background. But I had to watch the episodes. It only gets better as the season progresses.

I never realized it was going to be a good show until I was like, oh well I guess I'll check it out. From what I understand Joss Whedon wasn't like the only person responsible for Dollhouse, but I'm beginning to think I'm a fan of his. Definitely get into his projects more than like J.J. Abrams projects like Lost and Fringe.

While those shows are mysterious and promise plenty of exposition to bring a viewer to a poorly defined end, this show seems less heavy on straight up exposition while showing all the ways a particular technology can be utilized for good or bad.

The series seems a lot more focused and succinct than some other sci-fi type shows. Like there's a real argument with like logical approaches to propositions. Not just, woa dude, imagine if like you know there were these like people in an alternate reality or like there's this like mysterious island and it's like all in someone's head.

Characters get really fleshed out with nuance.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 20, 2016
While the idea behind the series is pretty hard to swallow (tech allows the ability to imprint a custom personality and memories onto an existing brain), Dollhouse manages to wipe away concerns about it by focusing more on a well-written and acted action/drama than wasting much time trying to explain how the tech works. The cast is balanced, and a combination of short and long story arcs should keep both sci fi and comic fans watching. It should also be noted that, although this series discusses people (mainly women) acting as fantasies, it is strongly feminist with lead female characters who act independent of male counterparts and who are their own heroes.
on May 31, 2015
I am reviewing/commenting on the entire series. If you love sci-fi that makes you think, doll house does a good job of it although it missed some opportunities. I really would have enjoyed the irony of an episode where a sex slavery ring gets broken up! Anyway, I liked all the characters and wish that the network had given them more time to explore and flesh them out. I mean, the Epitaph episodes could have been a season or even two by itself! The overall plot gets rushed but is still gripping. Done right I think it could have gone five seasons with ease. Overall a must see! When will the networks learn to trust Joss Whedon's brilliance? If anything they will make the money in syndication and dvd/digital download sales.
on September 7, 2015
I didn't even pay attention to the production date of 2008 when it came up in my list of recommended viewing, but that made no difference whatsoever. I got sucked in pretty quick and watched 2-3 episodes per evening. Love it... Adelle Dewitt is my favorite ! . watch and find out why. All in all the writing is GOOD. It's not hoakey, or forced, but just a little weird enough that it's science fiction and also somewhat believable. The premise of the story is strong and sooooooooooooooo many ways the can and do keep you guessing. Probably what I like most about the show is that it's really NOT predictable so I never get ahead of the story in my assumptions. It's really good