Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Under The Dome forum

Domed and cut-off cities and towns in fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2009 11:08:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2009 11:15:56 AM PST
Muzzlehatch says:
Already there are two 1-star reviews of this book that attack it solely for being a "rip-off" of THE SIMPSONS MOVIE (2007). Even were that plot coincidence truly meaningful, there have been many, many stories, novels, films and at least one musical with similar conceptions - cities or villages cut off from the rest of the world by domes or other plot devices. It's always been a concept that's intrigued me, and here's a list - far from comprehensive - of some examples that I know about. If others have more examples I'd love to hear about 'em and I'll add 'em to the list.

Fiction (novels in all caps):

William Delisle Hay, THREE HUNDRED YEARS HENCE, 1881
E.M. Forster, "The Machine Stops", 1909
William Hope Hodgson, THE NIGHT LAND, 1912
James Hilton, LOST HORIZON, 1933
Arthur C. Clarke, "Against the Fall of Night", 1948
James Blish, "The Box", 1949
Jerome Bixby, "It's a GOOD Life", 1953
Arthur C. Clarke, THE CITY AND THE STARS, 1956
William F. Nolan, LOGAN'S RUN, 1967
John Christopher, TRIPODS trilogy, 1967-8
Samuel R. Delany, DHALGREN, 1975
Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle, OATH OF FEALTY, 1982

FILM & "theater":

LOST HORIZON, 1937, based on Hilton book - musical film, 1973
"Brigadoon", Broadway musical, 1947 - BRIGADOON, film 1954
LOGAN'S RUN, 1976 based on Nolan book
THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, 2007

And to any that have actually read the King novel, I'd love to hear how it compares or might be influenced by any of the above.

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 11:58:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2009 12:10:17 PM PST
While I agree you raise a very interesting topic, I should say those one-star reviews are rather political lashbacks; your so-called Republicans... the originality issue merely gives them a pretext to bash King. Look at Duma Key, look at Just After Sunset.

So I wouldn't bother to tell something worthy to those idiots. Expect more to come...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2009 12:27:30 PM PST
Muzzlehatch says:
You could well be right. Well, I don't expect this discussion to have much effect on them - just trying to start something interesting and hope others will join in. Speaking of the political angle though it's funny that one of those * guys mixed up the right-wing Koontz with the left-wing King - about as far apart ideologically as any writers in their genre I would think. I should also mention that I looked at your reviews and read some of your diatribes against Koontz - good stuff!

Posted on Nov 13, 2009 9:16:28 AM PST
There are two episode that also do this, made decades before 'The Simpsons' movie, one in 'The Twilight Zone' and another in 'The Outer Limits', both in the new and old Outer Limits. I found one episode called 'Nightmare' which takes place in a bronze dome, but this isn't the one I'm thinking of. In fact there are a couple of different Outer Limits episodes that deal with this idea, so yeah, this concept's been around and dealt with numerous times.

That and add to the fact that King has been working on this plot for over two decades, before 'The Simpsons' was even created.

Posted on Nov 13, 2009 12:54:21 PM PST
A graphic novel called "Girls" by the Luna Brothers is also about a small town that has a mysterious dome form around it.

Posted on Nov 13, 2009 2:55:30 PM PST
Rich says:
The first thing that came to my mind was John Wyndham's Midwich Cuckoos, later filmed as Village of the Damned. Didn't have a literal dome, but instead an invisible barrier around a town that renders everyone within unconscious, as well as anyone who walks/drives/flies into it. The barrier is then suddenly lifted, and nine months later you get all the creepy blond-haired kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2009 3:02:18 PM PST
Muzzlehatch says:
Oh yeah, dunno how I forgot VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED; haven't read the original novel but I've seen both versions of the film. I suspect the novel has more to it than simple creepiness...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2009 12:52:32 PM PST
Earthling says:
This question brought to mind the short story by Howard Fast "The First Men" I had to go to the Sci-fi forum to get the correct title and they gave me this link to the story. A great short read. It was first published in 1960.

http://www.trussel.com/hf/firstmen.htm

Posted on Nov 18, 2009 5:22:03 PM PST
There is a YA series out in the last few years called Gone and Hunger: A Gone Novel, which deals with a domed town and has the added plot device that nobody in town over the age of 15 survived the doming. It's a fun read.

Posted on Nov 19, 2009 12:19:25 PM PST
Rich Stoehr says:
Jose Saramago's 'The Stone Raft' cuts off the entire Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal) from the rest of Europe by floating it off on its own. No dome, but a similar concept in its way.

It's not an original idea - isolation is a common device in much of King's fiction, and science fiction and horror in general. The key is the execution, more than the idea itself.

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 1:10:40 PM PST
I remeber seeing something on tv when I was a kid in the 70s about some people trapped behind a clear barrier in a town. I've wanted to track it down but all I really remember is that it was probably in color and I recall a scene where they were trying to dig under it. all my efforts up to this point have failed since I have little to go on. does this ring a bell with anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 2:45:17 PM PST
Jeanie says:
Michael Grant, "GONE"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 4:14:46 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 7, 2010 11:10:09 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 8:19:47 AM PST
jayessell says:
Another instance of a town cut off by an invisible force field dome:
Marvel Graphic Novel #16 "The Aladdin Effect" Published April 1985.
Yes, there's a partial breakdown of society.

I dimly remember a Baker era Dr. Who episode where the invisible dome burns anything that tries to
enter or leave. The Doctor has to show the military on the outside how to make a doorway into it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 10:10:25 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 7, 2010 11:10:09 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 11:42:23 AM PST
jayessell says:
Also...
Twilight Zone "Valley of the Shadow". 1963.
It's the town's force-field dome.
They usually leave it off.

Also...
The British SF film "Invasion". 1966.
The force-field dome traps people in a hospital.

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 10:32:48 PM PST
G. says:
Mysterium, by Robert Charles Wilson. I'm surprised no one has brought this one up.

Ginny

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 5:08:05 AM PST
Erika C says:
I think Stephen King reviewed it positively....the book "Gone"

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 4:18:06 PM PST
S.M. Stirling's "Island in the Sea of Time" and its two sequels deal with Nantucket being covered by a mysterious dome of light and when the dome lifts it takes a while for the inhabitants to figure out that they and their island have been thrown several thousand years into the past. (Astrocartography is a wonderful thing.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 4:28:25 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 7, 2010 11:10:07 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 2:33:31 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 28, 2009 3:38:52 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 3:40:02 PM PST
A.V.Wright says:
I'd like to add a concept album by The Planet P Project entitled "Pink World" from 1985.
Some similarities are:
1. The presence of "The Barrier".
2. The child(ren)'s relationship to the existence of the barrier.
3. The use of the color pink.
4. The totalitarian rule that develops within the barrier.

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 6:24:29 AM PST
Mark Rosa says:
Eric Flint's "1632" is about an ordinary Virginia (West Virginia?) town thrown back into Germant during the Thirty Years' War. While they do get caught up in the war, it's very positive, with the modern people integrating the Germans into their lives and maintaining their modern society. Flint has said that he wanted to do a story where good small-town folks come through all right in a situation like this rather than being at each other's throats as everything breaks down.

Try it; you'll like it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 6:46:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 7:26:20 AM PST
I remember reading a sci-fi story as a young kid, where a dome came down suddenly. Unlike King's, people who ran into that barrier in their cars were "gently" stopped, like running into a bungee cord, then getting pushed backward as the barrier reasserted itself. But, it wouldn't really be a King novel if there weren't some gratuitous grue! But otherwise, these two barrier appearances seemed very similar...and I was finally able to recall the author (Clifford D. Simak) which led me to discover the name of the book: "All Flesh is Grass"--1965.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 5:21:55 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 23, 2012 5:44:09 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Under The Dome
Participants:  20
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 15, 2012

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
UNDER THE DOME
UNDER THE DOME by Stephen King (Hardcover - 2009)
4.0 out of 5 stars (5,640)