Industrial Deals HPC Holiday Gift Picks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Domicilium Decoratus
Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 28, 2016
For granddaughter, who interned for Kelly Wearstler this past summer.
on April 29, 2016
Loved Hue so much I went back and bought this. fascinating to see her style evolve.
on May 15, 2007
I loved her first book and was excited to receive the second but I was very disappointed. I quickly sold it. When the first book had various ideas, this one only shows a few rooms from her own estate. The house is set up to sell her as a decorator and she poses in various gowns on every 10th page. Sort of blah.
on January 13, 2012
Excellent book, great pictures with very good decorating ideas, whIch was the reason for my purchase. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who is searching for decorating ideas.
on February 2, 2006
This is a beautiful book - a must have for collectors. If you are looking for the signature KWID style of the commerial projects, you will not find it. Miss Wearstler has done something different here. She has created something that is thought provoking: splendid and troublesome. There are moments of brilliance and moments of unexplainable strangeness: bookmatched onyx walls and frightening numbers of statues and figurines. She unexpectedly shows the beauty of not hiring a decorator and the intimacy of imperfection. It is a reflection of a woman and her passions. It is her home.
on January 27, 2014
Beautiful book from a woman with an amazing approach to design which is fresh and innovative. I own all of her design books and find inspiration whenever I look at them. Highly recommended for those who like their interior design on the cutting edge! Kelly is about eclecticism, collections, drama and fantasy. This is not a how to book, but it is instructional if you want to see what can happen when one frees herself from the mundane and embraces the exotic...love you Kelly!
on October 7, 2006
Kelly Wearstler is one of these trendy designers whose appeal I don't completely understand. I really do like the 'Hollywood Regency' style she has had a hand in reviving, but I can't help but feel most everything she does is too busy & over-decorated with a vague 1970s aesthetic, & her rooms tend to appear staged, a bit static & decidedly unwelcoming. However, I do enjoy looking at this book because the photos are excellent & there is just SO much to look at. The house featured in this book is beautifully designed proportion-wise but as with most of Wearstler's work, there is too much going on with the decor in every room-too much contrast, way too many gaudy accessories & tabletop bric-a-brac, too much orange & more than enough Asian statues packed into one house that I would imagine it's not very comfortable to live in.

For example: if I had to pick a favorite room in this book it would be the master suite with mirror-matched green onyx slab walls, just because I happen to like onyx & I think it's pretty innovative to use marble walls in a bedroom, especially the way she has done it...but would I want cold, hard onyx walls in my bedroom? No probably not..Is it interesting to see someone else do it?..Absolutely. In fact my favorite designs by Kelly Wearstler are her bathrooms because she does excel in designing with tile & natural stone & also tends to tone down the accessory factor in her baths. Otherwise, what I have seen of her work in this book & "Modern Glamor" as well as in magazines, is almost always so jarring that I feel anxious just looking at the photos so I would think actually seeing these rooms in person would be downright unnereving.

Finally, the staged scenes of Wearstler "hanging out" around the house in floor-length couture gowns & updone hair (pruning her trees, "frolicking" with her children, reading in bed) seem somewhat contrived-1 or 2 photos of her in the gowns would have been more than sufficient.
on June 25, 2014
This designer, Kelly Wearstler, is my all time favorite and this book more than lives up to my expectations of her talent! It is filled with the most amazing exotic and glamorous interiors you may have ever seen. It is filled with inspiration and I will own this book forever!
VINE VOICEon June 16, 2006
I first became aware of Kelly Wearstler by reading a few articles in decorating magazines. When her first book came out, I recognized her name immediately when I saw the book in the bookstore (which is amazing because I can't even remember what brand of toothpaste I buy at the grocery store). I really enjoyed her first book, and I continue to look through it for ideas/inspiration, but I found this book to be very disappointing. If I had looked at this book before ordering it from Amazon, I would have saved my money. This book covers the range from OK to hilarious. After reading the section called the "Boys' Vestibule," I didn't know whether to laugh because it is so ridiculous or to cry for those little boys that have to live in that house. The pictures of Ms. Wearstler in all the evening gowns were nice, but what do they have to do with interior design? Two other things passed through my mind as I "read" the book(except for titles there is no text): first, how long does it take to dust all the clutter in that house, and second, her hips must only be about 30 inches. She may look good in huge ballgowns, but I don't think a bikini would be so flattering to those bony hips. Now, you know that if that's what I'm thinking about as I look at the book, there is something very wrong with this decorating book. Borrow it from the library.
0Comment| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 23, 2009
Forget going to design school and apprenticing for years under the guidance of an established interior designer, just publish a book featuring your own spectacular home and watch your career grow!
Kelly Wearstler is a hip, glamorous product of Hollywood, and infuses her coolness in all the cool places: Hip hotels, private homes of big shots, et al. Her home is indeed fascinating to look at. She throws EVERYTHING into a room and makes it work, using madcap color, eye-popping fabrics and expensive textures for a stunning visual experience. And to top it off, she graces us with her presence sporting high dollar couture gowns in every section!
Others may disagree, but this type of movie star self-hype has worked. Wearstler is regularly featured in all of the culture and shelter magazines. And she has been on HGTVs Design Star.
Wearslter doesn't waste the reader's time explaining why she does what she does (hell, she's COOL, that should be enough!) or how the rooms evolved into what you see on the page. But, if you're hip and cool like her, you should know that already!
This book is visually stimulating if nothing else, and can be entertaining if you desire to have a beautifully photographed tome on your coffee table.