Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Dominique Guinard
Dominique is a Web of Things pioneer of the Web of Things. Dom is the CTO and co-founder of EVRYTHNG, a large-scale Web of Things cloud platform making products smart by connecting them the Web. His research at MIT and ETH on the Web of Things Architecture was granted the ETH Medal in 2012. Dom is also IoT expert with more than a decade spent working on projects for Oracle, the Auto-ID Labs, Nokia and SAP. Dom is also the author of "Building the Web of Things" and "Building the IoT using the Web". In 2011 and 2016 Dominique was listed in the top 10 of the IoT thinkers by Postscapes. He serves as AC representative of EVRYTHNG and contributes to the W3C WoT group.
Customers Also Bought Items By
A hands-on guide that will teach how to design and implement scalable, flexible, and open IoT solutions using web technologies. This book focuses on providing the right balance of theory, code samples, and practical examples to enable you to successfully connect all sorts of devices to the web and to expose their services and data over REST APIs.
Purchase of the print book includes a free eBook in PDF, Kindle, and ePub formats from Manning Publications.
About the Technology
Because the Internet of Things is still new, there is no universal application protocol. Fortunately, the IoT can take advantage of the web, where IoT protocols connect applications thanks to universal and open APIs.
About the Book
Building the Web of Things is a guide to using cutting-edge web technologies to build the IoT. This step-by-step book teaches you how to use web protocols to connect real-world devices to the web, including the Semantic and Social Webs. Along the way you'll gain vital concepts as you follow instructions for making Web of Things devices. By the end, you'll have the practical skills you need to implement your own web-connected products and services.
- Introduction to IoT protocols and devices
- Connect electronic actuators and sensors (GPIO) to a Raspberry Pi
- Implement standard REST and Pub/Sub APIs with Node.js on embedded systems
- Learn about IoT protocols like MQTT and CoAP and integrate them to the Web of Things
- Use the Semantic Web (JSON-LD, RDFa, etc.) to discover and find Web Things
- Share Things via Social Networks to create the Social Web of Things
- Build a web-based smart home with HTTP and WebSocket
- Compose physical mashups with EVRYTHNG, Node-RED, and IFTTT
About the Reader
For both seasoned programmers and those with only basic programming skills.
About the Authors
Dominique Guinard and Vlad Trifa pioneered the Web of Things and cofounded EVRYTHNG, a large-scale IoT cloud powering billions of Web Things.
Table of Contents
- From the Internet of Things to the Web of Things
- Hello, World Wide Web of Things
- Node.js for the Web of Things
- Getting started with embedded systems
- Building networks of Things
- Access: Web APIs for Things
- Implementing Web Things
- Find: Describe and discover Web Things
- Share: Securing and sharing Web Things