Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Domke 720-230 FA-230 3 Compartment Insert - Green
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on December 7, 2011
I needed to better organize my Domke f-803 and this insert does the job. Not fancy or super-padded, but an item like this you just put it in the bag and forget about it. The Domke offers enough padding for me around the outside, so I'm satisfied with the construction of this unit because it doesn't suck up space. It was worth it. Oh, and by careful placement it actually creates five spaces--on the ends I've arranged to have a slender place to put slim items. The hook-and-loop is really aggressive, however, so be prepared for a lot of fiddling at first if you want to get everything exactly right. If you're like me and just need it close enough, it's not much hassle.
on March 29, 2016
This is exactly what I needed. I have a Sony mirrorless camera which is quite small. I don't like carrying a dedicated camera bag with me as my tendency is to fill it with stuff I don't need for the day. With this insert, I can carry the camera body and two or three lenses in my laptop bag which means my camera is with me all the time. It's easy to transfer to a messenger bag when I'm not carrying my laptop. If you've invested in a mirrorless camera or M43, then this is the perfect insert for you.
on December 21, 2008
The piece is 3 compartments as promised, but it have no padding on the bottom. neither do the DOMKE camera bags, so while it protect my leica nicely from the sides, it have no protection for a rough landing of the camera bag. I solved the problem by cutting a strip of half inch closed cell foam for the bottom of my satchel bag... Not quite the product I had hoped but it does the trick with a little help.
on June 21, 2016
I bought this to insert in my Domke 701-83A F-803 Camera Satchel Bag -Brown that I got as a carry around for my 7D and lens.

The extra protection works well even though I normally only use one insert divider instead of both for my application.

The extra padding gives me more peace of mind when I have the bag strapped on.

Can also be used of course in non-camera bags to give protection to equipment. Deep enough for my Canon 70-200 f/4L IS with the lenshood reversed.
on September 28, 2015
Too slim. Shouldn't have bought it. Might work for very small camera kits, but doesn't work for mine. Consider how slim it is and measure your equipment. If you stretch the insert front to back it exposes your equipment to sharp velcro patches that will scratch the gear.
on April 8, 2014
Buying this product was kind of ironic, because over 25 years ago, I discovered Domke bags and their inserts, and quickly realized they were the best system for the way I did street photography. However, at the time, the inserts were uber-expensive (I may misremember, but I think they were $80 to $100 separately), so my wife studied them and hand-sewed a copy, which served me well for many years until one of our cats peed all over it. I recently got a new camera and found to my delight that genuine Domke inserts had fallen quite a bit in price, and this was just a perfect fit in my new "Bail Out Bag". I use it to hold my camera with lens in the center pocket (body on top facing down for instant access), long zoom in another, and a prime in the third.
on November 20, 2008
After a certain currency took a 20% dive against the USD I had to save money while trying to protect a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras with a Canon EOS 30D 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) which won't fit inside a Lowepro Topload Zoom 2 - Holster bag ( for camera ) - TXP, TXP ripstop - black, navy blue, while trying to remain anonymous; I'd already bought a Domke F-802 Reporter's Satchel Camera Bag, Canvas, Black. for that purpose and decided to get this insert; it does work.

Essentially the height of this insert is equal to that of the 70-200, so the combination is supported by both the camera's front resting on the insert's padded walls and the lens end touching the bottom - the one not so cool feature as that bottom is not padded... Even though the F-802's bottom is padded. If you're a little paranoid (and who wouldn't be?) all you need is to find some padding material to leave at the bottom of the middle division, although it would be better if Domke padded that insert bottom from the start.

In this setup you have plenty of space to leave shorter lenses on the insert's outer divisions. A little space is left inside the bag (outside the insert as it were), but not much.
on January 18, 2009
Pricey for what you get. A companion insert for the Domke Satchel Bags, I found it to be too limited for the equipment I use, (see my images), I have a Nikon D-90 with a 16-85 lens and Multi battery pack attached, and a 18-105 kit lens, 50mm lens in the main compartment of my Domke F-802 Photo journalist satchel. Quite frankly the insert seems to be good for lenses and small cameras (no DSLR's) only. you could squeeze a DSLR or a Rangefinder in the main compartment along with the insert but not with a battery pack attached.

The unit doesn't seem to be built that well to me. The one I ordered was flawed and I am in the process of returning it. It's not the same build quality of the Domke bags...hmmmm. I'll make my own. The insert seems flimsy and the thin foam padding doesn't provide any major protection. The bag does that. IMHO I would pay $5.00 but not $20-$35.00 for this product. Not a necessity with the F-802.
review image review image review image review image review image
on May 8, 2016
Doesn't fill out the bag that it's designed for, Domke J-803 and isn't as well made as the single cylinder inserts. Not bad though, and fits the bill if it's what you need.
on May 31, 2015
Just what I needed for my Domke F:803, fit's like a glove perfect. What else is there to say, it does what should do, protect my gear.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse