Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Domke 725-100 FA-100 Backpack Strap - Black

on June 22, 2012
The design of this strap is rather simple and the set up (for me) was intuitive. Just need to hook to the bag's existing metal hooks in the back. The benefit of this strap is that it distributes the weight evenly on each shoulder while the bag rests in the small of your back. I didn't know this solution existed when traveling last year. I remember hauling the over-sized Domke bag on one shoulder and pulling my carry-on behind me, thinking: "I wish there was a way to make this into a back pack for the long walks through some airports." Then I heard of this simple strap, and knew that someone else had the same idea! It's not a perfect solution, but it's more than adequate for temporary long hauls in airports around the world when you need to securely schlep your over-packed Domke bag. Don't know if this would work on a long hike in the woods, but it's great for urban transportation.
3 helpful votes
on April 22, 2008
This is an excellent solution to carry your bag. It eliminates the risk the bag slipping off your shoulder.

It can be rigged a few different ways to the bag which affect how and where the bag hangs as well as the angle in which the straps come over your shoulders. "Documentation" consisted of a single, poorly illustrated sheet of paper. This was not very helpful, but if you are smart enough to operate a camera that needs a bag like this, you can figure it out.

One very cool thing is that you can rig this so the bag sits very low. Low enough that you can still use a smaller back pack to carry things like your lunch and some water. Very cleaver!

Several bags, like the one shown, have a belt with a quick release. For other bags, this belt is optional. You can use this belt to secure the bag around your waist. A larger belt (for larger people) is available as well.

One down side is that you cannot access your camera without taking it off (unless you are a contortionist).
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on March 18, 2013
For those of us who will die with our beloved Domke F1-X Little Bit Bigger bags wrapped over our hunched shoulders and crooked spines, this is a killer item to own and use. It balances heavy loads and negates the issue to purchase a second backpack style bag. Keep all the utility of Domke shooter bags without the pain of bearing the load on one shoulder. It's easy to get on and off and doesn't get in the way of actually using the bag. The only issue might be grabbing the wrong strap when you just want to pick it up and move it, rather than carry it. There are a lot of straps.
on December 10, 2013
This works great with my Original Domke bag. I just wish I had gotten one of these years ago. I had no trouble slipping the bag on my back even when the bag was fully loaded. Obviously, it's not intended to take the place of a regular backpack for long or overnight hikes, but it's the perfect complement to the shoulder bag for day trips, vacations, etc.
on December 15, 2010
OK...I'm a management consultant who spends alot of time on the road....I have a fabulous Wenger expandable soft-side briefcase, but by the time I load it up it weighs 20-25 lbs. Having that weight pinned on one shoulder for 5 years has pinched the nerves and twisted my lower spine....not great. I think typical backpacks look a bit casual and they're not organized as effectively as a good soft-side. Enter Domke with the back-pack strap...It fits onto your bags current fittings and voila!- you have the bag balanced on your back with straps distributing the load over two shoulders...Now both of your hands are free and as you approach your appointment, you slide the bag off your back and you carry it like a professional briefcase. You can also use the sling on one shoulder if that's your preferred style. This is a major innovation that works- I've ordered several for friends....
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on August 1, 2015
It is good in that it makes the Domke bags easier to carry with weight distributed on both shoulders. I have an earlier version of this that had slightly different design, all straps went to a cent D-ring. This version, the top strap is all one piece that slides so bag doesn't always sit level.
on November 5, 2013
Shoulder strap problems: Solved. Why didn't I know about this accessory when I bought my Domke years ago? For years I've suffered sore shoulders as GAS has increased the weight of my bag. With these straps added, the weight is distributed and I can choose to wear it in the front or the back. Problem solved.
on May 27, 2016
Don't use mine often. Works in a pinch. Could use some padding on the shoulders when out all day long.
on February 5, 2011
I've been carrying a Domke J1 as my main photography bag. Currently it weights in at 20 lbs/ 9kg, and for me is really my full kit I take about 90% of the time. The bag is great, and I like shoulder bags over backpacks because I like having easy access to my gear without putting the bag down. But with the weight, it's hard to really carry all day, and also when walking with the bag resting on one shoulder, sometimes makes it hard to balance. After injuring my shoulder from a bicycle accident, I had to be more careful on the weight and amount of time I could carry a bag, so I was looking at replacing my Domke with a backpack or sling bag.

During this time I stumbled across the Domke backpack straps, which I figured since the price is under $20, I could try them out. When I received the straps, I noticed that they are very similar to the constructions of the Domke straps on their bags, the cotton feel material with metal rings. The construction is very basic, almost looks as if it was taken from a Vietnam era Army bag if they came in drab green. The instructions while extremely simple were enough to clip the straps in and was easy to use. Basically, the Domke bags have (or should have) metal rings to clip to, clip 4 connections and you're done. The nice thing about the straps is since they are made of cotten, they are not in the way when using the regular shoulder strap. I had no issues with the straps getting caught on anything.

In use I tested this during an all day photo walk. After a few hours my shoulder was very sore from not using the backpack straps, and after our stop, I tried out the backpack straps. The first thing I noticed with the bag fully packed, the straps are harder to insert your arms than with the bag unpacked (as I tested it at home). I am a thin guy so this wasn't an issue for me, but honestly it felt like I was wearing a smaller school backpack where the straps where not as wide as a hiking backpack. Now there are adjustments on the straps but you can not make the straps wider if needed. Once the bag was carried by the backpack straps, it felt actually pretty stable but I noticed the weight was not balanced. This is more of an issue that the straps are joined together via the center ring, all it takes is some manual adjustment by moving the pack, but if you're bag is not balanced, this might be a problem. The straps are not as comfortable as a good quality backpack but honestly, it's a welcome relief from having to use the shoulder strap after your already tired.

I would recommend anyone who has sore shoulders from long photo days to try out this Domke backpack strap. Also if you're using another brand bag, it's possible to use this backpack strap as the requirements are just 4 anchor points, which are common for most bags on the market. If you're using a ThinkTank Photo brand bag, there's an even better backpack strap available.

Just remember that it's alternative carry method and not a backpack conversion, you'll be happy with it. Also if you wish to pack this away instead of having it always connected you can store is in a small side pocket, as the straps are pretty compact.
on September 12, 2013
This strap made my Domke J3 bag more comfortable to use. The strap distributes the weight of the bag to the shoulder, but unlike a back pack my shoulder and back are not covered by the bag. This strap only fits selected Domke bags.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.