Save Big On Open-Box & Pre-owned: Buy "Donkey Kong Country Returns” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 6% off the $19.99 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Pre-owned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
About the Product
- Dual control schemes including the Wi Remote/Nunchuk, as well as a sideways oriented Wii Remote
- The game offers the traditional side-scrolling experience everyone loved, but also levels created in fully rendered 3D environments
- New silhouetted level s add additional challenges as players work to time movements and attacks
- For the first time ever, the franchise features the ability for two people to play together at the same time - one as Donkey Kong, one as Diddy Kong
- Hidden items, puzzle pieces and other surprises are found all through the jungle; spell out K-O-N-G by the end of each level to earn an extra bonus
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Inspired by earlier games in the Donkey Kong Country series, Donkey Kong Country Returns is a new take on a beloved Nintendo franchise. The first Donkey Kong Country game developed for play for Wii, this new iteration blends familiar actions, levels and characters with a whole new graphical treatment and feel, as well as new control schemes and play options. Features include: a co-op play option allowing you to team up as Donkey Kong and Diddy, radically different visuals ranging from nearly 3D treatment to others that appear in silhouette, two different controller schemes and more.
A New Country for Old Friends
Under the influence of a group of evil Tikis, the animals of Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong's banana hoard and stolen his stash of bananas - and being an ape of large appetites he understandably wants them back. Good thing that you are along for the ride. With Donkey Kong Country Returns, Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong back to a banana and platforming hungry public in a new side-scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NES original and all things Donkey Kong.
Like earlier Donkey Kong Country games, Donkey Kong Country Returns is a side-scrolling platformer, but although the game contains classic references, as well as levels and activities reminiscent of earlier games in the series, it is far from a remake. In fact, Donkey Kong Country Returns stands very much on its own not only in its nearly 3D status, but also in its new visual treatment and control scheme. The game features the familiar team of Donkey Kong and his little buddy Diddy Kong. The goal is make your way across Donkey Kong Island collecting bananas and search for hidden items as you swing on vines, ride mine carts and more as you avoid the variety of enemies and situations set against you. New silhouette graphical treatment of both game heroes and enemies in certain levels also introduces new challenges, as players must perform all actions from within an entirely new perspective. The game also features the players choice of either the Wii Remote/Nunchuk controller configuration, or a sideways oriented Wii Remote. In addition to simple navigation and jumping movements, the Wii Remote also allows for a variety of other actions, including: ground pounds, rolls and even air blowing with simple, yet timed shaking of the remote.
In addition, the game also contains fun and user-friendly co-op functionality. In co-op mode players take on the role of either Donkey Kong or Diddy. Both characters have abilities of their own, but work together. Beyond this the game takes possibilities for cooperation even further, especially with players of different skill levels, as Diddy can if need be simply rest on Donkey Kong's shoulder and let him do all the work at times. In the event of death, either character can also be revived by the other by hitting a Donkey Kong barrel within the game. The game also continues the series' use of additional animal friends such as Rambi the Rhino, who can serve as a battering ram and can be ridden in certain areas of the game.
Key Game Features
- Retro Studios faithfully restores everything that made the original series great, from barrel cannons to mine carts, and then builds on those elements with stunning graphics and new layers of depth to the world and game play. The game offers the traditional side-scrolling experience everyone loved, but with levels created in fully rendered 3D environments.
- Diddy Kong joins the quest. With his trusty backpack, he can produce a jet pack or Peanut Pop Guns to give Donkey Kong more abilities.
- For the first time ever, the franchise features the ability for two people to play together at the same time - one as Donkey Kong, one as Diddy Kong. Players can navigate the levels separately or as one unit. Diddy Kong can ride on Donkey Kong's back and hop off whenever he pleases, allowing novice players to ride on Donkey Kong's back through more challenging areas of the game.*
- Hidden items, puzzle pieces and other surprises are found all through the jungle. Spell out K-O-N-G by the end of each level to earn an extra bonus.
- Motion controls give players a real feeling of control. Players move Donkey Kong using the Control Stick on the Nunchuk controller and can shake the Wii Remote controller to make Donkey Kong slap the ground.
- Vibrant colors, beautiful graphics and fun characters draw players in. Even people who have never played a Donkey Kong game before can pick up a controller and start collecting loads of bananas.
- Every level offers new fun and new challenges. Sometimes Donkey Kong is running through the jungle, sometimes his action takes place on a tropical beach and other times he must become a master of timing as he jumps chasms in a mine cart.
Familiar actions & environments.
New silhouetted levels.
Special abilities via Wii remote.
Co-op play and new enemies.
* Additional accessories required and are sold separately.
Top Customer Reviews
Many hours of my misspent youth involved playing Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, whether alone or with a friend, I remember playing that silly Mine Cart Madness level until I had it memorized. All I can say is the people at Retro Studios must've loved DKC like many of us because they just knocked it out of the park with this one. They took everything I loved about the first DKC; barrel craziness, lots of enemies, easy and accurate controls, and beautiful scenery; and magnified these things by a factor of 100. This is just the kind of sequel I've been waiting for, for years. Retro Studios didn't reinvent the wheel, they duplicated and polished the wheels and then stuck it on a Ferrari. Let's break it down shall we?
Who cares it's DK! No seriously though, gone are the kremlins, now we're up against this mask thing a-la Crash Bandicoot. This mask thing steals your bananas, and now DK has to get them back... Donkey Kong Style. The classic DK humor is here, and the cut scenes have that DKC feel to them. Which are very well done by the way.
The controls are great for a platformer. I seriously had no problem slipping right in. They are tight and responsive. The motion controls are easy to learn, and actually make sense.Read more ›
For the most part.....Yes.
The best part of the game for me was retro studios decision to keep the same difficulty found in the original games. THE GAME IS TOUGH! Collecting every puzzle piece and KONG letters for the game is a daunting, but very enjoyable task! Is that not hard enough for you? Try and get a gold medal on every level in Time Attack! Time attack is a spped run mode that will make the most hardcore of players squeeze the controller with frustration. This will keep you coming back for more for a very long time.
It is difficult for me to determine if this game will be too hard and difficult for the younger or casual gamer, But I think its safe to say much fun can still be had here from the younger or casual gamer just trying to play through the levels.Read more ›
+ Amazing gameplay: The controls are really smooth and although you are only limited to the "wii remote" and "with nunchuck" controls, the game plays flawlessly, specially with the nunchuck.
+ Incredible level design: Most levels are very clever, they are a step ahead of you and I always liked that, specially coming from a DK game. I really love the fact that this element was left intact.
+ Challenging: Veteran gamers of DK games will not be disappointed. The game packs a somewhat high difficulty almost similar to the originals. However, you now have to get hit twice before you die (or 4 times if you have Diddy). And even with this new "life system" the game will manage to make you lose. Casual gamers should not get scared though, the game offers a vast amount of extra lives and an item that increases the amount of hits DK can receive. One warning though, stay away from the extra levels located almost at the end of some worlds. These levels are really challenging.
+ Long levels: On average, I think every level last around 5 to 8 minutes or probably even more. It's easy lose track of time while playing this game. Prepare to lose a whole week and probably even more with this game.
+ Great sound: Old tunes are back and will put a huge smile in your face once you heard how well remixed they are. It also contains some new tunes that are alright, but not as catchy as the classic DK tunes. These new tunes also try to capture the essence and style of older DK sounds and they succeeded in doing so.
+ High replay value: Collecting simple things has been a major factor in DK games and this game is no exception to the rule (except for the 64 version which took collecting stuff to a whole new level).Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Got it for my 10 yr old, she really likes it. I have only played it with her once, and it is a nice combination of being easy to figure out, while still being a challenge. Read morePublished 10 days ago by J. Bruha
Love it, no issues I bought used. I looked forward to this, I grew up with the super nintendo Donkey Kong original version. Its awesome they didnt change alot.Published 11 days ago by Dominque
Great game, good retro difficulty level, would recommend to anyone who loves retro gaming and still has a working WiiPublished 1 month ago by Allan Yourke
I even like playing this as an adult, reminds me of childhood. It is also my kid's (4&6) favorite game which actually surprised me.Published 1 month ago by Jon & Christa
We (the family), love playing this game! The price was the best. Recommend this game for family fun time.Published 2 months ago by Barbara