Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 928 reviews
on July 14, 2012
DK Country was my favorite game from the 16 bit era. I was really looking forward to playing this modernized edition, but it has unfortunately fallen well short of my hopes. This is a game that requires VERY precise platforming skills. Normally, I would embrace this challenge, but Nintendo decided they wanted to implement some goofy motion controls into the schematics, thereby ruining the experience. Even while playing with classic controller setup, a brief movement of the wiimote will accidentally send DK into a roll... right off the edge of that platform. Even in the 90s, I never experienced such poor platforming controls.

Please note that this an Amazon Verified Purchase... I tried my best to enjoy this game, but I just can't do it. Playing it only makes me want to return to the super tight controls of Rayman Origins, which has this game whipped in every conceivable category. You can't expect every game to be as good as Rayman Origins (especially since it came out one year later), but the difference in quality is downright staggering.

On the plus side, this game has very good art design. I enjoyed the weird enemies, and DK and Diddy are just as lovable as ever. But... as a platformer, this game is not in the same league as Rayman Origins.
on May 12, 2014
The gameplay is quite fun, I love the sense of adventure and all the hidden puzzle pieces that must be discovered in each level, and I especially love the SNES throw-back soundtrack.

However, this game is more frustrating to play in co-op mode than the Wii Mario series, except here you or your teammate can't just bubble to get out of the way. There are certain levels where co-op play was clearly not intended; it's simply futile to try some of the more challenging levels with another player. Unless you and your friend or family member are part of the Zerg swarm and have perfectly synchronized your minds, you'll just wind up getting in each other's way and killing each other.

It's also worth noting that the Wii-mote controls, while not difficult to learn and use, leave something to be desired. Some games/genres are just better off not being motion controlled.
on April 7, 2012
Do you remember when games used to be hard? Nintendo does. Donkey Kong Country Returns is hard. It's "we'll make you cry in frustration" hard. I haven't beaten the game because there just came a point where I no longer made progress. Some of the bosses are difficult to figure out, and if you are working with a partner, then you have half as much life as you would if you were playing alone. My wife wanted this game so I bought it for her. She dislikes how soul crushingly difficult it became. Her memories were of Donkey Kong 64, and mine of Donkey Kong Country for the SNES. After she quit, I continued playing till the next stage, at which point I had used the super guide so often it no longer felt like I was playing.

I respect the game for what it does. It wants to be that hard, but as an experience for me and my wife, it became too hard to enjoy.
on October 24, 2016
Misled by the fact it would work with a WII U
on July 12, 2012
I briefly played the SNES version of DKC in the 90's. I loved it, so fun, difficult, beautiful and fun. Now this 1, is not the original. This 1 is longer, brighter and way HARDER. However, this isn't a bad thing, because it's still DKC for all intensive purposes. The environments are so gorgeous and lush. I have not beat it, hopefully I will, my game is progressing slowly because it's hard. Man, I have cussed outloud while playing this. The levels where you ride on a barrel are SO frustrating! My fingers just can't work fast enough. I'm an older player though. Now, if I was 10 again and playing this I might whirl right through it. Other folks are saying they find it to be hard too, so I'm not alone. This takes a lot of influences from Mario games. The bosses are actually easier then some levels...so far! I'm in World 5, and I feel I've completed enough on my own to form an accurate review. I've only used the Super Guide once for a very hard Rocket Barrel level with underground bat things...man that was hard. I'm having fun and that's what counts. This is very nostalgic. Good price right now on the game...give it a whirl!
on April 12, 2016
So I would give the seller more stars but the game less stars, decided I'd meet in the middle. The game is too hard so my niece couldn't even play it without my help, and even I was stunned. Not really fun when you really do t get it? It's NOTHING like the original! I have no complaints from buyer, game arrived when expected and there were no scratches almost good as new.
on December 19, 2014
The seller did an awesome job with shipping. I got my order so quickly. It was nicely packed and I got an awesome deal.

As for the game, I have definitely outgrown it. I thought I would enjoy it as I was obsessed with this game growing up, but that wasn't the case. I would much rather play Super Mario Bros over this. On the other hand, my kids did like it.
on April 22, 2014
I played this game last night. I don't think it's as fun as the original SNES Donkey Kong Country... I expected better graphics, I almost feel like it's more crisp and clear in the SNES version! I don't like how you can't play with diddy kong unless in 2 player mode. Maybe it will just take some getting used to.
on August 4, 2013
Play this with my 6 year old and it is Okay, not great. Only thing I wish they had done was have some secret codes so you don't have to restart levels all the time. Young kids get frustrated easily and eventually the game will start collecting dust rather than continually trying a level. As my son says it gets boring doing the same level over and over.
on March 29, 2015
It's OK. My daughter and I are stuck at a certain point of the game because we can't figure out how to move donkey Kong. This game is not what I thought it would be. Graphics are good. OK game play.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.