Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 289 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 345 reviews
on October 31, 2016
Awesome addition to the series. Great side scroller. Lots of great content! Key product features include:
Over 70 levels of banana-hoarding fun featuring Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong
• Run, jump, climb and defeat enemies through diverse environments until you retrieve Donkey Kong's stolen banana hoard
• Lush, layered side-scrolling levels come to life in stunning 3D
• Rebuilt and optimized for portable play on the Nintendo 3DS system
on February 4, 2015
This is a great homage to the original DKC, one of my all time SNES favorites. I was somewhat surprised to learn that the warnings of steep game difficulty are quite true. No joke, I died 10+ times on the second stage. Similar to the SNES classics, DK and Diddy control somewhat loosely, so it can be difficult to approach an enemy, stop short and jump on them. I find myself frequently misjudging how far DK will walk based on a press of the analog stick. Additionally there are a lot of barrel shots where if you mistime, that's it. You're dead and you need to replay up to 1/4 of the level. While there is a halfway checkpoint, you are going to need to get good at timing, platforming, and memorization. Fortunately there are lots of bananas, coins and balloons to boost your number of lives. So even though it can be frustrating to die so often, I find myself with 30+ lives and many coins to spare.

That said, if you liked the original DKCs and can handle replaying a level several times to finally master it, you owe it to yourself to give this a go.
on April 4, 2016
I loved this game very much. I have never played the Wii version so I got this one. The levels in the first 2-3 worlds are fairly easy. I raced through them pretty easily. However, It begins to get very difficult later on. There were some extremely frustrating levels in which I would constantly die and get gameovers. After completing the 8 worlds, you unlock a 9th world with some difficult levels. Once you complete that world, there is a final bonus level which is pretty long without any midway checkpoint. This last level I got multiple game-overs until I finally beat it.
I really like this game. I got many hours of gameplay out of this game. I like that it wasn't super easy so I wouldn't beat it so quickly. This is a must have for any donkey kong fans.
on December 12, 2014
This game is fantastic fun. I grew up playing Donkey Kong games as a kid (mostly Donkey Kong Country and DK64) and this game really reminds me of those both in gameplay and the overall feel of the game. (They even brought back the swirling banana transition when going to a bonus stage!)
As the title of the game may suggest, this is a similar game to DK Country, meaning it's a 2D platformer, however please note that this is NOT a remake of the original Donkey Kong Country - it's a brand new game inspired by it. It starts out easy enough for the first 3 or so worlds but then the difficulty gradually starts to increase. By the time the final world rolls around the game is pretty tough, not to mention the bonus levels at the end! It never stops being fun, however frustrated you may get late in the game. The controls are perfect and give you exacting precision as to where you want DK to go (pretty important in a challenging platformer.)
The game has a simple story (it's a Donkey Kong game...what did you expect?) but it doesn't really matter. It's charming and serves as an excuse to go pound some bad guys.
The music is fantastic and is a wonderful mix of remixed tracks from the original DKC and brand-new ones! The music always seems to fit whatever level you're on perfectly.
As far as things exclusive to the 3DS version: obviously you gain the ability to play in 3D, which looks pretty cool. I believe there are also some bonus levels not included in the Wii version. However, I don't think this version runs at quite as high a framerate as the Wii version. It's usually not noticeable, but if you really care a lot about that kind of thing, you may want to get the Wii version instead.
on February 17, 2014
When DKCR first came out for the Wii, I was so excited that I bought it the day it came out. I played it for countless hours, and remember always popping it in every so often just to replay levels that I had already beat several times. When I heard that the 3DS version of it came with extra levels, I knew that I had to buy it. While I would not say that it is the best game in the DKC series (mostly because I have not had a chance to play Tropical Freeze yet), I can easily say that DKCR is the most innovative and challenging thus far. If you have a chance, I would play it on the Wii first before trying it on the 3DS, just so you can get a feel for how the game plays.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 30, 2014
I grew up on the Super Nintendo, so I have a soft spot for the Donkey Kong Country trilogy. So I was excited to play this for both the Wii and 3DS.

Overall, the general spirit of the series is here. Donkey and Diddy are here along with some familiar supporting characters. Sadly, no Dixie. Kiddie Kong however is an acceptable omission, heh.

The game is pretty fun, especially hunting down all the secret rooms. But I have to admit I was disappointed in this game. As a veteran of the originals, this was hard to play. The controls were not as tight and smooth as I was accustomed to in previous games, the characters weren't as interesting, and the level design was significantly better in the originals.

If you've never played the original DKC trilogy, however, I could probably recommend this game as you would be more likely to enjoy it. Without the perfect controls and great atmosphere, story, and environments of the originals to compare to, this could be a fun and enjoyable game. But for me, it was frustrating. I'm a pretty experienced gamer, but often found the simplest jumps very frustrating to make, leading to many lost lives and level do-overs. And the game is not very forgiving to mistakes. A little bit more forgiving than the Wii version (easy mode was added here), but still very difficult at times. I enjoy intelligently difficult games, but this one is difficult in a more frustrating way (controls). The original DKC games were very difficult as well in parts, especially as you get towards the end of the game, but it was a fun difficult, where when you messed up you would think "Ah man, I screwed up." In this game though, the difficulty is more due to terrible controls and poor responsiveness.

The 3D effect is more extreme on this game, by far, than any other 3DS game I've tried. Since the 3DS has an adjustable 3D function to adjust this, that's not a problem, but it's something to be aware of. I love the heavy 3D personally, but sometimes when the slider is at max 3D, it can be a little straining, so I can see certain people not liking that.

My bottom line on this, is if you have a Wii U, skip this and get DKC Tropical Freeze, which is significantly more fun. Otherwise, this can be a good game for most, especially if you've never played the original trilogy. With how good Tropical Freeze is though, I fully expect future DKC games to continue with a high level of quality.
review image review image review image review image
on July 13, 2013
Im not done with it yet, but the difficulty has me coming back for more. Sometimes I think the game is more difficult because my hands are kinda big for the standard 3ds, so I have stupid human errors. Other than that, I'm having a great time playing the game. The graphics, sounds, and mechanics are polished, and the presentation is great.

There are 2 modes, a wii mode, so you get to play the same version that is on the wii, or the 3ds version. I have not tried the 3ds version, and the only difference I can remember between the 2 modes is that you get more hearts to start the game, and they add some things to take advantage of the 3d effect. Either way, the game is solid, and will be a great addition to your 3ds library.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 29, 2016
4 year review/update: It's still enjoyable!

This game has lots of play appeal. I forgot to write a review when I got this 4 years ago, but I recently picked it up and started playing it all over again. Tons of fun and lots of repeatability. Super fun!

Highly recommended! Enjoy!
on August 16, 2013
Now, I have not played Donkey Kong since I played Donkey Kong Country back on the SNES when I was a kid. This game doesn't have as much of a difficulty factor as the first two Donkey Kong games did (they sometimes left you tossing your remote at the wall, both metaphorically and literally), but it is still fun and full of challenges and obstacles. The 3D element adds to the gameplay, but is far from necessary to enjoy the game. My only complaint is that it can be hard to see what you're playing in the background, but it is still manageable and challenging. If you want to get a game for yourself or someone else that is fun across the age spectrum, this is certainly the game to purchase!
on June 23, 2013
I played but never bought the Wii version of DKCR, in part due to the motion controls (which in my opinion have no place in a precision platformer). On 3DS, controls are greatly improved, and I can enjoy the fantastic game within.

This is a very challenging game, though there are plenty of in-game options and items available to prevent frustration. And it looks better than ever, with all the foreground and background elements really popping in 3D. I have not yet finished the game or reached the 3DS-exclusive extra levels, but I'm very much looking forward to them!

Highly recommended to anyone who claims to be a gamer; this game hangs in with the best of platformers.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.