Save Big On Open-Box & Used Products: Buy "Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - Nintendo Wii U” from Amazon Open-Box & Used and save 71% off the $49.99 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all offers from Amazon Open-Box & Used.
FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details
Select items for an Amazon Gift Card
Get free shipping with fast payment.
We are unable to process your trade-in order.
About the product
- Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong join the adventure as playable characters alongside Diddy Kong.
- Explore new dynamic levels that twist, turn, and transform in new ways. Enjoy spectacular views from the dynamic rotating camera.
- On their journey to reclaim Donkey Kong Island, Donkey Kong and his friends travel across five islands with a variety of stages that include underwater areas and frozen environments.
- Enhance Donkey Kong's exploration and unlock secrets with a variety of new moves, including a "plucking" system to pull items right out of the ground.
- Team up with friends in a cooperative multiplayer mode that lets two players share in the fun together.
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Special offers and product promotions
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Donkey Kong’s ultimate platforming adventure barrel-blasts onto Wii U! Team up with buddies to master their moves, from Diddy Kong and his jetpack to the fresh additions of Dixie Kong with her spinning ponytail and Cranky Kong with his pogo-cane jump. Journey across 6 distinct islands filled with dynamic levels and non-stop action.
Reclaim the now-frozen DK Island from the invading Snowmads. Master Donkey Kong’s ground pound and each of his buddy’s unique abilities to navigate diverse island environments like Mangrove swamps, Savannah storms, ocean depths, and the frozen lands of DK Island. The barrel-blasting, mine-carting action of Donkey Kong Country is back, along with a bushel of new features like upgraded underwater swimming, a new “plucking” system, dynamic viewing angles from a rotating camera, and collectables galore. Team up with friends in local 2-player multiplayer* to share in the adventure and reclaim DK Island from a host of wintery baddies and bosses.
- Journey through all-new levels that twist, turn and transform in consistently fresh ways. Plus, enjoy spectacular views thanks to the dynamic, rotating camera.
- Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong join in the adventure as a playable character alongside Diddy Kong. Any of them can buddy up with Donkey Kong to shake up the action.
- Fight off the arctic invading Snowmads as you run, jump, roll, “pluck” and swim across six distinctly themed islands, each packed with lively levels of non-stop action and surprises.
- Team up with friends in local, cooperative multiplayer that lets two players share in the adventure*.
- Discover hidden areas and gather numerous collectibles to unlock additional content, use life-saving items, or catch a ride on diverse vehicles.
- Enjoy new music from the original composer of the Donkey Kong Country series.
*Additional accessory required, sold separately.
Top Customer Reviews
As stated in the subject,..I'm playing Co-op with a 9 yr old and this pretty much puts the game on INSANE difficulty as the screen doesn't stretch the way NSMB does when characters get far apart, you simply disappear off screen as your "co player" (a sugar-charged kid) rushes his character forward at lightning speed without the thought of upcoming enemies, traps, holes,....you get the point.
Final Verdict: Buy It! This is the DKC you know and love!
That said, holy crap this game I enjoy. Lots of fun platforming to do with or without a friend and overall it's a really amusing trip through the tropical islands levels and so on. DK himself is limited in his abilities but with a friend or ...Cranky Kong he gets a boost. With Dixie/Diddy Kong he can hover a bit, with Kranky he can bounce on spikes and other dangers. Levels can be a bit dicey and it's not helped that each character (even playing single player) costs a life. So jump off a cliff? There's 2 lives gone if Dixie was on your back. Though there's plenty of ways to get lives. 100 bananas, get a balloon, etc.
Now some have said the game gets really hard. I'm not a DK fan as I said so I'm not exactly an expert player but despite some minor difficulties I didn't really struggle too bad. The game does kind of have a repeat play to learn the level mechanics which is fine...better than a tutorial to pop up yelling in your face how to do simple tasks.
My major complaint with this game is, if you or a friend play with the wii controller or with the nunchuck too? You have to shake it to roll. The issue is, even with the wii motion plus it's not very responsive and can cost you a life while you waggle it for your life hoping to dodge something or roll into an enemy. I'm not a fan of motion controls in games that demand precision or fast reactions because they simply don't have the accuracy to do such a thing. However if you're using the tablet controller, you get a dedicated roll button, so if you're like me and get the short end of the stick using the wii controller? My heart goes out to you.
(Note: I do not own a pro controller, so if this lets you bypass this, I'm not aware nor do I own one so I can't say. This review is based on what I have, not what others have.)
Overall, really fun game, especially with a friend and as someone who never really liked the DK games before? I really really enjoyed this one.
While some people have complained about the difficulty, I did not find this game to be that hard. Perhaps my reaction timing is better than most. Usually when I died it is because I went out of my way to try and collect a puzzle piece or a KONG letter. In many ways it is easier than the originals because it is more generous with health, lives and coins which can be used to buy more helpful items at one of Funky Kong's shops that are located in each world. The truly difficult stages are the ones you unlock after collecting all the KONG letters in each world but these stages are optional and are not required to beat the main game. The bosses are some of the best I have ever seen in a DKC game. They take more hits than usual to kill but if you're any good at memorizing patterns than they shouldn't be that difficult to get passed once you played them 4 or 5 times (usually I beat them on my second or third try.) In my opinion they are a lot better bosses than the super easy and unimaginative bosses you see in most Mario games. Definitely recommended for the fans of the original and any one who likes a good old school platformer.
Now I'm really hoping Retro will make one more to complete a second trilogy.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great characters that all play different.
lots of items to track down.Read more