Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 741 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,638 reviews
on April 25, 2017
The Donnie Darko (4-Disc Limited Edition) is an amazing example of how a limited edition should be executed. Arrow video has outdone themselves.

I did not see an unboxing video before buying and I was blown away when I received the box. It really feels like a bargain at $31. The artwork done throughout by Candice Tripp is awesome.The included 90 page book is very well done and I found all of it interesting. I have not read the 2001 Donnie Darko book which the long interview was from and I really found it to be quite compelling.The post cards included with the Directors Cut and poster with the Theatrical Cut are both done well. The amount of special features and extras included is very impressive. I have watched some of them and I'm looking forward to watching the rest. There is material here that has not been released before.

The video quality of the special edition is impressive and a huge improvement over prior Blu-rays. Critics that have reviewed the Blu-rays are also very impressed. The difference for me is more obvious in outside scenes. Overall it offers better clarity and it is a bit darker. The Blu-ray appears very film like and shows details that I have never noticed before. Shadows and dark areas are handled very well and look great. This is not a Blu-ray to show off your home theater with. Look for more recent titles shot digitally. This is an older low budget movie shot with 800 ASA stock. The 800 ASA film was used so that film could be shot with less light. 800 ASA film has more grain and grain is apparent on these Blu-rays but it is not distracting. Bottom line is that this is the best this movie has ever looked and likely the best it will ever look. Arrow Video did a top notch job with their restoration.

Sound is very good and I cannot tell a difference from earlier Blu-rays.

This is a fantastic Limited Edition and well worth the money. For people that have bought the earlier editions and others that have not seen the film this is highly recommended.
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2017
Great movie.
on September 19, 2017
Great!
on June 14, 2017
Excellent!
on March 10, 2003
I absolutely loved this movie. I have seen it 3 times, and have not tired of it. If for nothing else, buy this movie for the score. The music in the film is perfect. It uses just the right mix of lesser-known (but still recognizable) 80s and original music.
Whether you'll like Donnie Darko really depends on what sort of movies you like. If your idea of a good movie is something you can sit back and enjoy with a tub of popcorn, then Donnie Darko isn't for you. There is also little (really no) action in Donnie Darko. No car chases, fistfights, or major explosions. If you want a lighthearted comedy, action flick, or sappy drama, this movie will bore you to death.
But if you're in the mood to pay close attention and think about everything you're being shown, this is a great movie. Almost all of my friends who saw this immeadiately said "I need to see this movie again" because you really can't get it all on the first try.
The commentary on the DVD was interesting, but didn't really do much for me in terms of enhancing the storyline.
on July 22, 2016
Good cult classic. Movie can be a bit confusing at times keeping track of the what's going on but they did very well in putting it together.
Donnie Darko was a great movie. I was stunned by the concept and execution when I first watched it on VHS. Then I got the DVD and had my brain blown.
First off, let me just say that the DVD is packed with features: two commentary tracks, dozens of deleted scenes, the full website (which has crucial epilogue stories, and is only accessible online with difficult trivia paswords), full copy from the book that plays such a vital role in the story and so SO much more. The Donnie Darko DVD is how DVDs should be: filled with features, all of which enhance the film.
So, first things first: the director's commentary is AMAZING. If you had any questions after watching the movie (which most everyone did), the Richard Kelly addresses most of them...with humor and charisma. Jake Glyndenhall is also part of the director's commentary, and he's very funny. I especially loved his joke about "FOUR MILLION DOLLARS! We only had FOUR MILLION DOLLARS!" His groundskeeper Willy impression was pretty spot-on, too.
The other commentary isn't quite as good...mostly just cast and crew chatting over the film, and Producer Drew Barrymore rambling about whatever.
The deleted scenes provide some incredibly important story components, addressing Donnie's medication, who Frank is, and so much more. I couldn't BELIEVE that some of these scenes were cut. Some of them are just such integral aspects of the storyline....and I think you can feel their absence in the film. Richard Kelly provides commentary for these, too, explaining why he had to cut each scene.
Reading "The Philosophy of Time Travel" book that's referenced in the film is a great advantage towards understanding the story, as well. It's a little hard to read all the text on your screen...but well worth the squinting. It's clear that Richard Kelly put a LOT of work into this story, and it's nice to see all that work in one place.
Perhaps my favorite part of the DVD were the "Cunning Visions" infomercials. You have to turn the commentary on to appreciate the sheer comedic genious of these things. So so funny. I also recommend reading the website stories before watching the infomercials. It'll all make sense that way. Regardless: "I'M NOT AFRAID ANYMORE!" HA!
In sum, this DVD enhances and explains this wonderful movie, actually improving on the original film. Highly recommended, especially to those who just didn't quite understand what happened in the movie. If you liked the movie the first time around, you'll be as floored as I was with this DVD, and understand why I think this is probably the best DVD I've ever seen. So many features, such great commentary, and beautiful design. BRAVO!
on June 17, 2017
This is one of the nicest Blu Ray sets I've ever seen! Seriously in love with it.
on April 20, 2017
Been waiting for this edition for a good bit now. Once again Arrow put out a wonderful set.
on April 17, 2003
This is the second movie I bought on DVD without seeing it first (after Memento, see my ***** review).
Wait a minute! I lied. Not exactly lied, but distorting the truth a little bit - I was reccomended DONNIE DARKO after buying Memento, but it seemed a bit much for my taste - end of the world, time-travel, aliens, giant bunny rabbits - it sounded like an artistic mess David Lynch is capable of delivering combined with a talking animals in clothing (talking chimps come to mind that should be forbidden) - but it intrigued me enough to keep an eye on it.
After a few months, I visited a friend I haven't seen a long time and he says: "I have something to show you..." He plugs in his PC and shows me the beginning of Donnie Darko. I was struck in awe after an introductory bicycle scene and the decision was made. I made him stop the movie so I can enjoy it with the real 5.1 sound and picture. I ordered it at the amazon the very same day.
Upon writing this review, I thought to myself: "Rather than telling you what the movie really is about, I'll tell the story of how I came to become a very satisfied owner of it." So, I did that and hope to induce enough intrigue for someone to buy or not to buy the movie. But, in my humble opinion, everyone who considers himself or herself movie-buff must have this film.
I almost forgot! The DVD is loaded with excellent extras, including a whopping 20 deleted or extended scenes with or without commentary, but believe me - after seeing the movie you won't be able to go through that unless your heart is made of stone or you're a Vulcan... Or simply if you're stupid and say: "I don't get it." But then, why bother with this? Go buy "The Fast and The Furious" instead and knock yourself out...