Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 171 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 287 reviews
on July 16, 2017
This was a wonderful movie with an unexpected twist at the very end. I love Katie Holmes and Bailee Madison. So to se these two superior actresses in one movie was amazing! Bailee as usual is the complete thespian and she really gives you the idea that she is a spoiled and angry little girl that got shipped off to daddy and daddy's new lady played by Katie Holmes. Katie does a wonderful job of portraying that lost "I need to show this little girl that I am not here to take her mother's place but that I do want to be a part of her life as a future step-mother," turn. And what she does at the end of the movie is sad, beautiful, tragic, and loving all at once.
on December 22, 2013
DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK stands as one of the best Gothic fairy tales since PAN'S LABYRINTH, which shouldn't come as a surprise considering Guillermo del Toro's involvement in the screenplay. Director Troy Nixey has modeled the look of the film after traditional haunted house pictures like THE INNOCENTS, while adding a group of mean-spirited little imps that live off of the blood of children. Their whispers in the dark that beckon Sally to join them are quite chilling, but Nixey takes great care in keeping his creatures hidden until just the right moment... Del Toro's script draws from classic storytelling elements and childhood fears that any viewer can relate to. Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce are each good in their respective roles, but it is Bailee Madison that steals the show as young Sally. Her excitement and terror are heartfelt and real, heightening the emotional impact of the film.

I would definitely recommend this movie!
The original one was such a scary TV MADE MOVIE. THIS remake is OKAY. It has beautiful , yet bizarre house .The house is the setting in this movie , what lives in it is another . My 7 year old granddaughter really digs scary movies .She thought the residents that lives in the house were creepy and evil looking . But we are not worried about her having bad dreams tonight . Anyone who truly is afraid of the dark and watches this movie might want a flashlight or two , and probably won't look under the bed anytime soon. The original "DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK " stars KIM DARBY . She was the young girl who held her own next to JOHN WAYNE in the original "TRUE GRIT " . Her character in this "DARK"movie isn't a child , but a young married woman. I am going to purchase the original "DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK " to add to our collection and so my granddaughter could experience the differences in how MOVIES have changed. THANKS for reading , BYE .
on March 30, 2016
One of my favorite scary movies from a favorite director. Guillermo Del Torro brings this dark fairy tale to life with his trademark creature creations. Katie Holmes is believable as the would be step mom to a little girl who's been living with her mother. Their relationship is fraught with all of the usual child/paren'ts new significant other drama, but I really loved that as the story progresses this begins to shift in a way I'm not used to seeing in movies. It is terrifying and enjoyable and I definitely couldn't have guessed the ending, which is always fun when it comes to horror.
on August 22, 2017
I have an extensive collection of dvds and I couldn't get into the movie at all it was boring and mostly going to be given away to someone else
on October 14, 2016
Actually, as a huge fan of the 1973 original with Kim Darby who played Sally, this was a very well done story built on the original. Highly recommend, it is scary and the little creatures are still scary even after all these years. I was only 10 when the original came out and it scared me for YEARS. I wouldn't recommend showing this to children, since it is easy enough for them to believe things are in the closet or under the bed at night, but for grownups its great.
on July 13, 2015
Guillermo Del Toro delivers again this movie is incredibly creepy. The creature design is simple but effective and they atmosphere is effective. When a couple moves into an old house and begins to bring it back to its former glory they find something they did not expect. The house had belonged to a man who wrote children's stories one day his child disappeared then he did and no one knew why. There are little fae in the house but these are not the Disney version they want to take the child and will do anything to keep from being locked away again....
on November 3, 2016
This is not the original "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark." My sister and I used to watch that movie and then scare each other silly by whispering at each other. I still love the original, but this movie is different -- and also good in its own way. It's well worth a watch, and even if you love the old one, you might just find that this one is worth appreciating in its own way, too.
on February 9, 2016
If you love dark fairy tales and Guillermo Del Torro's style then this is a great movie. If you're big on happy, fluffy things and fairies who do good deeds... it's not a good movie. I love it. It's satisfyingly dark and the strained family relations feel believable, even the fairies act like you'd expect ancient inhuman beings bound by a blood oath to act. Well worth watching on a chilly autumn night, when the moon is full and the Otherworld doesn't feel so far away.
on June 27, 2015
Though a bit different than the original Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, which came out in the seventies (I believe) this was a pretty good remake. The original was a "for television" Friday night horror thing. I was very young and I can't exactly remember what the weekly show was called, but my aunt and I would get so excited in anticipation of the weekly scare fest. A few of the movies were pretty good for the time. I remember one about a doll that was pretty creepy, but the one that I remember the most is this one that has come back to haunt us again. Katie Holmes did a wonderful job, and the little girl did too, but in the original, the WIFE was Sally, not the little child. I remember the creepy little voices floating up out of the fireplace grill....."Sally...Salllllyyy...Sall..." Brrrrrrrr. Of course this modern version was a full length movie; great effects, great creature features...the little evil fairies (I think it's the basis for the tooth fairy thrown in there) a modge podge of Grimm fairy tale meets Amityville horror. I thought is was worth the price of a rental. I think I'm going to try to find the seventies version and watch it. I'll probably have to buy a remaster, but I think it would be worth it. Those of us that seen the first one I know would get a kick out of seeing something that gave me a case of the real heebie jebbies!