Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

If you operate under the premise that either the Democratic or Republican Party represents the best interests of this country or its citizens, you probably shouldn't buy this book. As a libertarian myself, I'm often asked to explain my political philosophy in a short phrase, and I've generally gone with, "More Freedom, Less Government," but this book provides a more detailed approach that is also accessible. Those enamored with the power of the State will trash this book without having read it (see the 1 Star reviews), but it's actually a cogent argument for freedom and individualism as a solution to the problems our country is facing today. It is concise, well-written and engaging. Read it with an open mind and it will be a great use of your time.
11 comment| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 22, 2014
Matt Kibbe has put the hundreds of volumes of rules, put together by politicians, into 8 words. "Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff". He is into the high tech era of smart phones and PC's as a means of wide communication. I'm still behind the curve. If we ever intend to slow down the political onrush to socialism and communism you had better read this book. He actually has some reasonable methods of defeating this madness. Kibbe has a solution. We need men and women in public office who understand the Constitution and wish to strictly adhere to it. Right now all of our politicians seem eager to embrace socialism. Socialism has failed in every country where its been tried. Yet each new politician believes it failed only because "he/she" wasn't in charge of it. Capitalism succeeds every time its tried. Obama is going to ensure that our country is equal to others. He means equally poor and miserable. He punishes success.

Matt Kibbe offers a solution. So do a few other other authors. We must get back to our roots. Benjamin Franklin said it best. "We must hang together, or surely, we shall hang separately". We must be united American's to oust our entrenched politicians who are leading the country into chaos, and replace them with strict Constitutionalists. 545 people are responsible for every single problem this country faces, from Obamacare to obesity. The Congress, the Senate, the President and the Supreme Court. None of the rest of us have much of a say.
on March 5, 2018
This is more of a collection of retrospective stories about how the authors habit of listening to Rush (the band) now fits into his political ideology than something you can chew mentally on. Pick up declaration of independents or anything by Nick Gillespie, Matt Welch or, of course, Ron Paul. I didn't expect Murray Rothbard depth but I am not sure who the audience Matt Kibbe was shooting for on this one. I offered it to a friend who was interested in the concepts before I read it myself.... but now I imagine it just confused him.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 7, 2014
Matte came through once again. He wrote an easy to read and understand book. I met him once at a Freedom Works meeting and he is just one great person. The theory to the book is don't hurt others or take what is not yours. They are two steps to the golden rules. If we lived by those rules the world would be a better place and this pertains to the government also.
on July 8, 2016
If you want to know what libertarians think, without getting into the some of the contentious nerdy libertarian things like the finer points of the non-aggression principle, this is a great book to read. Libertarians actually hold a wide range of views on social issues, but are united in valuing liberty.
on November 22, 2016
I found the book enlightening and entertaining. A great read for the Libertarian minded but I would think more useful for partisans of either major party. Take it in with an open mind and see if you have an intellectual counter not an emotional outburst.
on April 11, 2014
I'm not sure what I expected, but I heard the author discussing this book and decided to see if I found it interesting. More political philosophy than I expected, but still very readable. This author is very much outside the traditional Democratic/Republican debate over how to fund pet projects at the expense of the other side's pet projects. Kibbe focuses on the proper role of government, and the danger of ever growing and incomprehensible bureaucratic structure and regulatory schemes that destroy personal freedom. Both Liberals and Conservatives will find things they like in this book. Progressives not so much.
on May 6, 2014
Matt Kibbe takes on massive, intrusive government and makes the case for a return to libertarian principles. Those who think libertarians are just people who want to smoke pot need to read what liberty is really about. This book is not long, but it is packed with eminently readable explanations of how free people can live in a free society without government telling them when and how to wipe their noses.

The progressives have had over a century to prove themselves--wrong! It is time to get back to constitutional basics. Imagine a country where the rules were simple--don't hurt people and don't break their stuff. Would that be a good place to live, to build a business, to raise a family? Like Matt Kibbe, I believe so.

America's founders believed that men were not perfect and because of that, power had to be limited, restrained, and divvied-up among various levels from local to national. Most of our biggest problems today came about when men (and women) forgot mankind was fallen and decided if the "right" people made a bunch of laws, mankind could be perfected through government. Furthermore, that perfection could be globalized.

The human toll from ignoring the basic principles of liberty is beyond calculation. We must go back to our original principles of individual liberty and responsibility while there is still a little time to turn around. The cliff is within sight, but Americans still remember how to be free. Matt Kibbe reminds us what freedom is and why it works.
on September 12, 2014
This is a very in depth look at a very simple philosophy. It gave me reasons to believe I am responsible for myself. It also makes it clear that government doesn't have rights that individuals do not possess. The government simply does not, should not, have the right to force people to give up the fruits of their labor to others against their will. The government should not be the sole keeper of the tools of force.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 11, 2014
Government is the opposite of liberty. Government always means coercion and compulsion. It must. Therefore, I would rather live with a small government enforcing limited powers than an overreaching government out to control my personal life, employment choices, and children's futures.

Speaking up for human decency and the liberty agenda is Matt Kibbe in this book.He points out to the millenial generation that they have been used and lied to.

Beginning at page 170 (hardcover), the book details the steps to retoring liberty in the republic.

Buy it, read it, and lend it out. This book isconvincing, easy to read, and worth buying.

Also try: