Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Dune forum

Don't buy the kindle edition just yet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-42 of 42 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2011, 5:51:30 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 25, 2011, 11:41:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2011, 11:43:07 AM PST
Jerm'n says:
I'll assume that last post was directed at me?

If so...

You should really work on your reading comprehension. I never said a Kindle was $300. I was responding to another poster who had (notice the quotation marks).

"And if you bought this book legally for ANY Kindle software, you paid the same as someone reading it on a Kindle did."

No kidding, what's your point?

... Eye strain from reading on my Touch is no greater than with any other format I've ever used. If the Kindle hardware works for others, that's great. When they make one that I can fit in my pocket I might pick one up. Although, It'll still be somewhat of a one trick pony (unless I'm missing someting). For now I'm more than happy using the software on other hardware.

"LOL, nOOb"- How cute.

Posted on Feb 17, 2011, 2:34:51 PM PST
-Jes- says:
Dune was the first book I purchased for my kindle a couple of years ago when I got it. I was horrified by the typos; I complained to Amazon and they deleted it from my Kindle (NOT what I asked for - I just wanted them to assure me that someone was looking in to the typo issue) and credited my money back, and I was told to re-download it later after it was fixed. Well, considering that it cost $7.99 the first time I downloaded it, I'd like to tell both Amazon AND Penguin where they can stick this new Kindle edition of Dune and exactly how far! This kindle book has been nothing but a pain in the butt.

Posted on Apr 9, 2011, 10:11:41 AM PDT
JRH says:
That the Kindle (or other electronic formats of books) version costs FAR MORE than the physical, paper book version is INSANE and ABUSIVE of consumers!!!

Posted on Apr 9, 2011, 5:47:23 PM PDT
KAA says:
I agree, the pricing of the ebook version (at all the ebook stores that I checked) is insane. It is bad enough if an ebook costs more than the paperback, but in this case it costs almost as much as the hardcover!

Posted on Apr 20, 2011, 10:29:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2011, 10:30:11 AM PDT
Warhof says:
The price keeps going up... ($16.99 at the moment) and it appears all major e-book retailers are still charging the same price, indicating the publisher is responsible.

Paying a hardcover price for a format that carries almost 0 cost per-unit for the publisher makes my skin crawl.

I'll vote with my dollars (all 17 of them!) and just read my paperback again.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011, 6:07:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2011, 6:10:54 PM PDT
Alcee Arobin says:
The Kindle has, by and large, been a waste of money for me. I purchased a second generation two years ago, but all the books I actually want to read are typically more expensive in digital vs. print format. I guess it's a neat device if, say, Bible fiction is your thing, cause they're always throwing those away for free. But I'm still buying physical copies of books I want to read immediately, and riding the library wait list otherwise. I sometimes use the Kindle for public domain books, but really, you could find those anywhere for a dime. Not that I fault Amazon; publishers are doing all they can to subvert the ebook market. And Penguin is the worst offender.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012, 6:46:19 PM PST
D. Keefe says:
I purchased Dune (kindle edition) in November 2010. I had read the 40th Anniversary Edition trade paperback earlier that year and decided to add it to my digital library. Like many others, I also noticed hundreds of errors. I contacted Amazon to complain but was told that it was the publisher, not Amazon who had ultimate control over the quality of the text.

In 2011, I downloaded the free sample for Dune just to see if any changes had been made. There had, so I got Amazon to re-download it for me. I went through the e-book text alongside the paperback, one page at a time. It was tedious work, but being a freelance proofreader, I didn't mind too much. I highlighted all the inconsistencies I found and sent them off to Penguin in a letter. No response-at least nothing beyond "thank you for your interest."

Since then I have been following posts on Amazon having to do with Penguin Group and the kindle edition of Dune. I decided to give Penguin one last chance. In February 2012 I sent the following to multiple departments at Penguin Publishing: a copy of my list of errors and corrections for Dune, a collection of scathing reviews from Amazon, a letter of intent (essentially saying "Penguin, help me help you"), my business card, and one SASE.

I post this not to call attention to myself, but for digital readers everywhere. We must get the word out to publishers that we care just as much as printed-page readers about the quality of our reading material. We shouldn't have to pay for inferior text and suffer through countless typos in exchange for some imagined "convenience." They didn't treat readers this way when paperbacks started competing with hardcover books, did they?

If I get no response from the CEO, presidents, vice presidents, digital managers, editors, assistants, or from anyone else who received my material, then we'll finally know what Penguin truly values.

I will keep you posted, readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012, 2:26:18 PM PST
I am very interested in hearing if they respond to you. There is no reason for them to charge full price for a book they did not have to pay an author to write nor pay a factory to print and still be chock full of errors. The epitome of greed Imho.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012, 1:56:03 PM PST
D. Keefe says:
Recent update from Penguin Group:

I received an e-mail from one of the editors at Berkley Publishing Group (Berkley Books is owned by Penguin and originally published Dune) and was told my list of errors and corrections is currently with the managing editorial team.

At least someone has responded. That's one out of seventeen. We'll see if more get on the bandwagon. Stay tuned.

Posted on May 3, 2012, 12:48:54 AM PDT
D. Keefe says:
SUCCESS!!!!!!
Thank you all who track this discussion and have been waiting so patiently for something to happen. Please inform everyone you know who would be interested that I got the corrections through to the proper editor(s) at Berkley Books, a division of Penguin, and they listened to my arguments and have decided to utilize the errors/corrections list I made for them. They even offered me a job!

I am sending them the same type of list of corrections for Dune Messiah and hopefully they will re-submit those changes, as well as the original Dune, before the end of summer.

I'll be going through God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune over the next several months. Stay tuned to your kindles and respective apps.

In the meantime, hustle Amazon along and tell them either through the link to submit the formatting is lacking or email the feedback address to tell them you want the corrected version when Penguin redistributes it. Apologies for not having a better date or timetable to give.

It wasn't easy, but it was worth it.

Thank you again!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012, 8:39:51 AM PDT
NotAtWork says:
Please post when the corrected Kindle version (each of them) becomes available. I'm hanging onto my $$$ until then...

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 12:19:32 AM PDT
D. Keefe says:
Will do. I've recently sent the same pair of editors my errors & corrections for Dune Messiah. I asked them to consider sending me word on when they plan on re-releasing the ebook Dune for existing and potential customers. They know about the reviews and they have the information I have given them. Either they will be kind enough to send me a message to post online or they'll get in touch with Amazon and filter out one of those emails saying "Would you like to re-download Dune?"

They were able to fix whatever was wrong with Stranger in a Strange Land and I know from personal experience that they redistributed Stephen King's Skeleton Crew. I would hope that they will equally make good with Dune and its sequels. I'm going through Children of Dune presently and will let you and others know if I hear anything.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012, 11:57:51 AM PDT
Wow, thanks for all your hard work! Did you take the job? What did they offer you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012, 12:49:38 AM PDT
D. Keefe says:
Thank you for your kind response. I've had to ignore a couple of "trolls" who had some cynical things to say about my efforts in a couple of other Dune discussions, which I did not bother to respond to.

Basically I was sent a couple of proofreading/copyediting tests. One was to be sent back as an email attachment and the other was on paper only. I am waiting for the results. But it felt good just to have them respond with that in the first place. It's been 3 years since I first tried to contact someone at Penguin regarding Dune and I guess persistence paid off. Or is it "fortune favors the foolish"?

Anyway, I'm continuing to compare digital vs. hard copy for the rest of the Dune series. Pleased to say, only found a fraction of errors (compared to Dune 40th Anniversary Ed.) in Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. I sent those to Berkley Books (not to get paid, but to keep my name in their minds as they go over my tests--hint, hint!) and we'll see if they redistribute the corrected versions to Amazon for us all to enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012, 1:15:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012, 1:17:31 PM PDT
Seems like your persistence is paying off. I hope that you get the job, should you choose to pursue it. It would be good to know someone who cares is working to keep what we read (In digital format or otherwise) written correctly. Quality should never be compromised in the name of expediency.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013, 4:31:55 PM PDT
D. Keefe says:
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

A wise man once said: "Achievement is its own reward; pride obscures it." I cannot, however, resist feeling a smidge of self-pride for what's happening with the kindle version of Frank Herbert's Dune and for not giving up. If any of you reading this had a hand in notifying Penguin/Berkley Books and expressing your displeasure relating to the quality of Dune, then you have my thanks as well. We still have to wait and see what color smoke comes out of the chimney before celebrating, but it's wonderful to know that something is finally being done.

Regarding the other Dune books, they are in fact less daunting when it comes to the number of mistakes (which includes italics, ellipses, em-dashes, and spacing). Dune had roughly 584 errors; Dune Messiah, 57; and Children of Dune, 113. I'm only two-thirds finished with Children, so we'll see how it compares. Then the three others by Herbert will come next.

Being a freelancer isn't easy. I imagine it's like being a fisherman without a crew. You cast your line or net and hope you are able to catch enough to sell at the market. I had to spend a lot of time and a bit of my own money to get this far. I say this not for sympathy, but to give others interested in this line of work a heads up. Unless you already live in a major city that has publishing houses, which you can apply to in person, you can bet you'll have to do a lot of long-distance creative tasks to get noticed. And persevere. I'm sure many budding writers have to jump through similar hoops.

As far as Berkley Books/Penguin Group goes, they gave me a favorable response to the proofreading tests I sent them. Unfortunately, because they claim to already have a high number of freelancers working with them, I'll have to remind them periodically (like the fisherman casting his line) that I'm here and ready to work.

In the meantime, watch this space for the result of the surgery being performed on Dune. Let's hope this starts a new trend in the digital publishing industry.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dune forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2008
Latest post:  May 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

This discussion is about
Dune (Alpha Books S.)
Dune (Alpha Books S.) by Frank Herbert (Paperback - January 8, 1981)
4.6 out of 5 stars (2,926)