Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 149 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 167 reviews
on September 8, 2015
This doodle diary is really cute. There are so many different pages with different ideas on what to draw, write, doodle, etc. inside. I bought this for our 11 year old for Christmas and she's going to love it. I noticed the other day that she has a plain journal in her room, that only a few pages are written on. I think that this will really get her into journal writing! This is great for kids who like to document their lives and are really creative. For example, there are pages in this diary to:

1. List, doodle, collage the foods and desserts they love
2. A page where they can write down what movies they saw, add comments about them, add ticket stubs, etc.
3. A watercolor page - where they only doodle with watercolor colored pencils
4. A page of inspirations - to find and include colors, words, patterns, illustrations, labels, photos -- and to add what's so inspiring about them
5. A page about your best friends -- you can add pictures or draw them, say what you like about them, etc..

I like that this doodle diary is filled with ideas for kids, instead of giving them a blank diary. Not only is it fun and appealing inside and out, but they won't be "stuck" on what to say or write or draw. What a GREAT idea to encourage creativity and documenting their lives, so they can go back and look at it in the future!
review image review image review image review image review image
on April 5, 2017
I purchased this when I was at the upper borderline of target audience... about 16 or 17, so I did not get as much use out of it as I would've if, say, my mom had bought this for me when I was 10. However, I have enjoyed using it, there's a lot of variety, and it is pretty good for testing out the opacity and such of different medias and just for general doodling and whatevering. I would definitely give these as gifts to 8-15 year olds, depending on their personalities of course.
on July 9, 2010
Looking at the preview for this book, I didn't know what to expect; many books on journaling include some sort of materials section at the beginning, and I was looking for something more. Wanting to learn to doodle better myself, I ordered a copy and jumped for joy when it arrived.

When it came out of the package, I was surprised! It's a great size -- small enough to fit in a purse or backpack -- and is THICK.

Past the recommended materials, there are pages and pages of prompts, ideas, and collaged backgrounds for you to work on. The prompts are diverse, and many have "tips" for how you can expand and enhance your journaling. They range from ways to use materials to cutting "out a photo of a friend -- paste it on the page and start dooodling in the Mehndi style around it," to "What do I want to be? Happy, adventurous, fun? Either write these words or find them in magazines and paste them onto the page. Doodle around them."

The pages are great for girls just discovering who they are. There are bits for favorite jewelry, your favorite and least favorite classes, a school makeover, and "I can't wait to be an adult because..." But there are deeper prompts as well. Dawn Sokol has girls exploring who they are and want to be, what they value, who they look up to, what quotes guide them. Working through this doodle diary will help girls grow and foster strong self-esteem and figure out who they are.

If you're an adult, you, too, can work through this diary! Many of the prompts will take you back to childhood, where you can re-examine what you loved (and didn't love!) back then, bringing those school years into clear focus. And many are fun prompts -- Dawn has you exploring new materials and gives you tips on how to use them in different ways. Journal about an embarrassing moment, what you said today. Use junk mail or combine words. What is on your iPod? What inspires you?

'Doodle Diary: Art Journaling for Girls' is up there with Keri Smith's 'Wreck This Journal' for the pure creative genius of its writer; there is passion and fun in this book that you can't help but giggle with glee when you pick it up and start playing on its pages.
11 comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2013
I love my new doodle diary! It is a birthday present. I'm 12 going on 13 and love to doodle in notebooks so I like it. There is only one small problem. It's so stiff and hard to open to write in. It may loosen but we'll see. Thanks for reading! ;)
on December 29, 2013
This is not at all what I expected. It doesn't open flat and the writing instructions are minimal. Bought two as gifts for young girls. Combined with colored gel lens and stickers. The combinations were appreciated, but the journals were only 'okay'.
on December 27, 2012
Stress comes into our lives everyday, so this is my little escape at the end of my day..I know it's a doodle book for girls, but I have gotten sooooo much stress relief, just doodling...I keep it at my bedside, with some colored pens, just doodle my way to calm. I have also ordered "Doodling for Paercrafters", funny when I was in school, I use to doodle all the time, I grow up, now I need ideas to doodle, what's wrong with that, are we to busy just to have fun and let our minds wander...i luv it..I feel like I'm back in school, when of course we were supose to be listening, but I think anyone who reads this review, will know, we all doodled somewhere, sometime, lets get back into having fun.
on December 29, 2016
Bought this as a birthday present and it looked so cool that my daughter really wanted one too. She got one for the very next holiday. It's great. Creative. And I was happy there weren't weird questions that I don't think we need to be asking children anyway. Clean fun.
on August 20, 2014
My daughter is 6 and loves to doodle. Some of the pages are a little old for her but most of them are just right. Se loves this book. I gave it 4 instead of 5 due to the binding as it makes it difficult to lay it flat while drawing.
on September 15, 2013
Got this for my niece as part of her birthday present. She lives in a different city so I usually pick a few things from amazon and send them to her, so these reviews are very important. She mentioned to me when she stayed with me during the summer that she wanted to be a journalist when she grew up so I figured this interactive journal will get her mind going. When I talked to my niece she said she loved it and likes that there are topics (or something like that) and you can write about it. Overall, she's very happy. She's 7 years old. My sister in law said it was age appropriate too.
on April 1, 2017
Purchased this for a young girl in a shelter. This was something that she asked for on her wish list. Well made and seemed to be perfect for journaling and doodling.