Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Doodle Stitching: Embroidery & Beyond: Crewel, Cross Stitch, Sashiko & More
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 1, 2013
I love Aimee Ray's work! I have her first two books and read her blog religiously. I pre-ordered this book as soon as Amazon offered it and was very happy when it arrived. I am already quite familiar with the different techniques that she goes over in this book, so there was very little here that was new to me. The projects are very nice and I'm looking forward to making a few of them. That said, I preferred her last book more. Ms. Ray is a brilliant illustrator and I love her designs. I wish that there were more original patterns instead of projects. It is just my personal preference, but I like to apply embroidery patterns to my own projects more than I enjoy copying recipes for an artist's project. Her second book had an accompanying cd with scalable patterns that I loved. Hopefully she will sell some new patterns using these advanced techniques online. (Hint, hint... ;> )

For novice to intermediate needleworker, this book introduces a lot of great techniques that will help expand one's creative repertoire! The projects serve as great examples of what can be done with different techniques. 5 years ago I would have given this 5 stars, so if you are still at the stage where you are mostly doing backstitch, stem stitch, lazy daisies, satin stitch, and french knots then this next step book is a must!

My favorite part of the book was seeing how Aimee used shista techniques with found objects such as acorns and stones instead of just using mirrors! I would never have thought of that! She is a very talented designer and really thinks outside the box! I highly recommend also checking out her website, blog, and Etsy shop! Good stuff!
on April 2, 2013
To be fair, this book is being graded on a curve. I own both of the previous Aimee Ray books, and I adore them both. While this book is a nice addition to my collection, it was not as groundbreaking as I had come to expect.

Doodle Stitching: Embroidery and Beyond delves into a couple of new topics. Topics include: Cross Stitch, Applique, Coloring in your embroidery designs, Redwork, Crewel, Sashiko, Shisha, Cutwork, and Stumpwork. Each one was given a little introduction and at least two projects using the technique. The projects are very cute, as always, but I was really hoping for more technique so that I could create my own projects.

I am not disappointed with this book. I bought it at a great price (only $5, and free shipping) and I feel that it was money well spent. I just don't think that this is the best book that Aimee Ray has produced or that it is the best primer for new techniques.
on July 11, 2013
This book recaps all the ways handwork can be used decoratively. The big plus is the approach, which is very free. No strictly defined patterns are given, rather direction in ways of customization are emphasized, as are "out of the box" approaches. I was happy to have information about sashiko, which I have not used, but I have been liberated in myprojects are far as rigid design is concerned for a long time, so I found not much else intriguing. If you have never strayed from the printed instructions, this is a non-threatening introduction and well worth your time.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 11, 2013
This is really an ideal book for me, since I like to both doodle and stitch! I also like how all of the designs are so fresh and modern, which gives it a definite upgrade on the 70′s needlework that I grew up with. Now that my daughter is enjoying hand sewing also, I'm glad to have a current book to show her how to do so.

The hand sewing projects in it make it easy to take whatever I'm working on with me and stitch while I'm waiting or even watching TV. One of my favorite things to stitch on is pillow cases, and while the projects offered in this book are used on many types of items like quilts, bags, etc., I can also use pretty much any of them on a pillow case! My favorite motifs were the adorable woodland animals and the gorgeous handdrawn monogram alphabet. Just with those items from it, I could have all kinds of fun!
on March 28, 2013
I bought this book because I have Aimee Ray's first two Doodle Stitching books and really enjoy them but was somewhat skeptical about how much this one would engage me. I'm a competent and enthusiastic embroiderer but didn't really think techniques "beyond" embroidery would apply to me. I was wrong! I'm excited to see the variety of stitching styles presented here for beginning and experienced stitchers, and to build on the base of skills I already have with different materials and techniques. I'm already halfway through one of the redwork patterns and getting ready to order some fabric and yarn for crewel work. Thanks, Aimee, for another delicious-looking book and a great tutorial full of inspiration and instruction.
on August 17, 2013
This book has a lot of great ideas. If you have not embroidered for a while some of the designs are nice and simple and you can easily take it with you to work on as you end up in waiting rooms. There is such a great variety of projects, I have to steal it back from my kids because they keep borrowing it.
on January 6, 2015
I don't think that this book is for children (as one reviewer had said), even though some of the patterns are very cutesy or are for projects for children's rooms or nurseries. It gives a good overview of medium skill level stitching techniques, and a quick course in simple stitches. I just picked up embroidery this year, as an adult, and I found this book to be a good resource.

My only 'note' is that I think that some of the diagrams for the overview of simple stitches could be more descriptive. I still can't get that French knot!
on March 3, 2014
Aimee Ray has such a unique style! It's absolutely adorable. There are so many projects I want to do from this book. I already have a list of things to do from her other books,too . If you want cute and clever ideas then this is the book for you! We are anxiously awaiting the next book she will create!
on April 24, 2013
If you love embroidery and are ready to try out new varieties beyond the basics, this is a great place to start. I especially love that Aimee takes traditional techniques and applies them in her own cute and modern style. So glad to have this in my collection!
on June 3, 2013
I love this book. There are several ideas inside that would be more than willing to try. I always try to find inspiration in other people's work. It's a book I would recommend to my crafty friends.