Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

• Doors
  • Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 253 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 626 reviews
on October 15, 2015
Several disclaimers are appropriate here. For one, my name is Morrison but I'm no kin of Jim Morrison, at least as far as I know. For two, I'm 75, which is about how old he would be now. For three, I don't even listen to rock, as my preferred type of music is symphonic classical. For four, I don't believe in earbuds for music. I have a large, powerful surround audio system with 15" woofers in my man cave and a car with a 200-watt, nine-speaker array in it. The man cave rig includes a modern turntable and cartridge and audio CD player. I love my music.

The reason I know about The Doors is, I was a young Navy pilot stationed in a small town in central California in the late '60s, and we had frequent parties. The Doors always seemed to be on the record player, and Light My Fire and Twentieth Century Fox and a few other songs, just stuck in my head. I hate when that happens. Being young Naval officers, we were very much NOT counterculture hippies, but fun music is fun music, and we played The Doors.

Fast forward to summer of 2015. I was on a road trip with my wife, and she insisted we go into a bookstore in Virginia. They had an entire section of vinyl records, and incredibly enough, they had the LP reissue of this album. I snatched it up. It is wonderful, and I was hooked all over again.

To play in the car and to take with me down to my kid brother's place in San Diego, I ordered this CD. It is also wonderful. The insert notes it is a remix, done with modern gear to remove the limitations and distractions of '60s mag tape and LP technology. Also, some of the original records were recorded at wrong speeds, making them either slower or faster, slightly flat or sharp in pitch. This has been corrected, so the songs on this CD are exactly as recorded. Also, some of the original releases had edited lyrics, usually to bleep out the word "high" as a drug reference and Morrison's frequent use of the f-bomb. Those cuts have also been restored here.

The result is, these recordings are more faithful to the original sessions than the first releases. The insert booklet also details the history of the group and facts about their rise in popularity. It also contains insights into some of the recording sessions. Finally, it contains all the lyrics to the songs, this in case you can't quite catch every word.

I understand some purists gripe about this. You can't please everybody. Since I don't have the original LP, I don't know why anyone would complain about this CD. The realism of it is startling, and if you have good audio gear, you can blow your branes out with it if you want. Besides the raw power, all the details emerge, and with no dynamic compression, the experience is life-like. There is no way to tell just by listening that this is not a brand new, state of the art recording.

There are compendiums and best of collections and you can get all these songs many ways, but if you want to go back and hear The Doors as they were, get this CD. If you can find the LP and have a way to play it, get that, too. I think Amazon has it.

Have a nice day.
88 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2017
50th Anniversary Super High Material (SHM) CD - Deluxe Import version
Great packaging, 3 CD set with booklet. No vinyl.

CD's - 1. Stereo Mix, 2. Mono Mix, 3. Live At The Matrix

Live At The Matrix - partial performance. Select songs to try to match 'The Doors' studio release. Neither of The Doors official Matrix release's are true to actual performance, and sound on official Matrix releases is artificial, processed, suffocated. Supposedly a box set of the complete 3.7,10.1967 shows is on the way.

Booklet - lyrics both Japanese and English, linear notes are Japanese only. White paper, black text, no pictures in booklet.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on August 6, 2013
This album is a must-have. I had the greatest hits of the Doors but when my local classic FM station plays songs like Soul Kitchen and I can't find them on the greatest hits, I realize that I have to have the original album. Yes, you'll read how this album has been remastered and it doesn't sound the same as the original vinyl recording but so what? You can finally hear what Morrison says about his girlfriend in "Break on Through" (it was censored in the original recording). People tell me that no one buys CD's anymore. I have no interest in MP3 files. The quality is awful. Give me a CD any day. The sacrifice of using MP3 files for their portability it not worth the crappy quality.
on July 3, 2017
Just pure joyous analog sound, no clicks, no pops, no skips. Absolutely perfect in every way and packaged very nicely too. If you still listen to and love vinyl then do your ears a favor and get this one.
on July 10, 2013
I pre-ordered this, waiting to hear what it sound like in multichannel before investing in any of the other Doors SACD's that came out in June 2013. After hearing this one-I ordered "Strange Days". After my wife heard the first 2 she wanted "Morrison Hotel" as she loves "Indian Summer" and wanted to hear it in multichannel. I was glad I had read a previous review of a re-master that noted the speed change on "Light my Fire" as I noticed the pitch was changed and it was definitely a shade faster than the other versions I own. The surround mix is awesome, with Jim's vocals on center channel and various passages highlighted on the rear left and right channels. I have read some reviewers distain of such sharp separation of guitar riffs, piano or organ solos' etc. but I find them quite enjoyable and that they add to the "surrounded by music" ambiance. I realize some are looking for concert hall sound reverb and reflection, but if you liked the SACD's of Elton John, Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" or Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" you will find much to love about these new Doors releases. I also listened to the stereo mix on my computer through Logitech's THX rated 2.1 speakers and found the clarity to be excellent. This album and "Strange Days" offer, to me, the most listenable songs per album than any other of the Doors albums. I love some songs on Morrison Hotel and LA Woman, but not every song like this album and "Strange Days".
on August 28, 2017
Grew up in the 50s never appreciated the Doors. Jim Morrison has the best "rocker" voice of all time. Album is short and sweet filled with great music.
on February 5, 2015
This album is what vinyls were meant for. Him morrisons voice haunts even more eerily with the wide dynamic range. Nothing beats dropping the needle on The End and staring at your ceiling fan imagining you're a psycho war vet.
on June 17, 2017
The sound quality is very low. Very disappointing. My cd from the '80s sounds much better.
on March 11, 2014
Sounds great on 180 gram vinyl. Obviously, it goes without saying, that this is one of the greatest and most legendary rock and roll albums of this or any time. I had to add it to my collection of awesome records.
on April 30, 2017
Very nice package. I like the CD variety.