Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 31, 2015
The dorm vault is a very sturdy case unfortunately the one I purchase was used, and I was looking for a brand new one. But from the used one I did see if I did see a new one I would definitely purchase one.
on September 16, 2013
Good product and easy to setup. They provide various bolt lengths but I still had to buy own and lock washers. The interior pockets need strong mounting squares to hold them in place.
on August 27, 2013
Works as described. Good quality construction. Neat and easy way to secure your items. I got all 3 of their safes for my son. Works great with most all dorm/ institutional furniture.
on March 1, 2013
The vault is awesome for storing daughters laptop and important documents while away at school. However, the hardware supplied with the vault only provided a loose attachment to the dorm furniture.
on May 22, 2011
The bracket attaching it to furniture requires some specifics. It's a great idea but requires something to attach it to, like a table, bed or desk leg. Multiple bolts are provided but if the furniture in the apartment or dorm is something Ikea, forget about attaching it to that. It requires some sort of vertical support or leg and wing nuts provided make it easy on easy off. The lock provided seems to be of low quality and a trip to the hardware store could fix that but it's not a standard size, it's a smaller hasp.
Overall it's sturdy and just about bombproof with space for a 15 inch macbook and pockets for smaller valuables.
on October 25, 2013
It came with a label on the box "Bed Bath & Beyond". A quick web search of their site shows a clearance price. Plus I could have had an additional 20 percent off using one of their coupons. Boy do I feel taken. I might have been able to save 50 percent from the price listed on amazon.
on August 22, 2015
The DormVault I bought was use, so there for it was kind of bent, and unassembled. But I bet when it was new it was quite the thing to have. I hope I can find a new dorm vault just like the used vault I had to return.
on August 20, 2010
I bought this for my daughter to take to college. Based on the previous review, as soon as the dormvault came in, I tested the lock. I could get the lock in and out but it was a struggle. I went to my local hardware store and bought a round metal file. I then filed the hole - enlarging it just enough to make it easier to install and remove the lock. This resolved the problem. I know that you should not have to make this type of 'adjustment' but I felt that the usefullness of the product made it worth my while. My daughter is now happily using her DormVault.

This is a good way of safeguarding your belongings but the latching mechanism does need some work in order to allow the lock to be esaily inserted and removed.
on August 19, 2011
Although the dorm vault is made of thick metal it will not do any good if you can't close it. Once closed the whole for the lock is off center and too small for the included lock.

When I tried to install it, I found the all the wing nuts missing, thus didn't install (college move in times short) I will have to go back with the parts and additional tools to complete the install. Hope no one steals the laptop in the mean time

Construction - poor
Quality control - poor
Chances of buying another one - poor
Chance of recommending it to a friend - poor

What will happen when you have to replace all the stuff you can't secure - you'll be poor
on September 3, 2009
I discovered that the lock provided is too big to fit through the latch on the DormVault, thereby rendering it "unsafe." This, in the middle of moving my son (a freshman) into his college dorm room. Through the sweat trickling into my eyes, I perceived that the roomate's parents were sniggering at me for buying such a stupid contraption. Under pressure, I (apparently) panicked and ran off to Target to buy a smaller padlock. Two padlocks later I found the right fit, although it's more like a luggage lock.

Target came through. Amazon, sadly, did not. Is it too much to ask that the lock on a "vault" actually close? I know, I know Amazon can't be held responsible. Besides, it turns out (be careful buyers!) that I didn't buy it from Amazon at all.

"I am very sorry that we were not given the chance to resolve this issue for you. Although we are not the manufacturer of the item, we would have been more than happy to provide a replacement for you," said the reply from the real seller. Notice the past tense. "Please let me know if you would accept 10% off of the cost of this item."

That's okay, you probably can't afford it.
11 comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.