Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 68 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 93 reviews
on August 10, 2014
Read on August 07, 2014 — I own a copy

I loved this cozy mystery! Hamlet reminds me of my big ol' cat, Fidget, who died a few months ago. I laughed until I cried at his shenanigans. Whoever says cats are stupid have never meet Hamlet, Figgie, and my back cat Clyde! Hamlet helps solves the mysterious death of a very popular author - Valerie Baylor. Baylor writes a very popular Young Adult series - Haunted High. Baylor is even hotter than the "Boy Wizard" author. And Darla Pettistone is going to host the famous writer in her bookstore that she inherited from her late great aunt. Before Baylor and her entourage arrive, the lone protestor is still across the street - same garb, but a different sign. The message is similar to the one she carried yesterday. But why is she accusing the bestselling author of plagiarism? Darla's staff aren't too keen on having Baylor at Pettistone Fine Books either. Darla needs sales of the signing - finances are tight at the store right now, and she has her friend and tenant Jake to look after, especially since the older woman is a disabled cop. Jake and her friend Reese - an off duty detective - are providing security for the event, trying to keep everyone in long black capes and a streak of red lipstick in an orderly line.

When Baylor and her entourage finally get to the shop, Darla is dismayed witth the author's behavior. She is rude to everyone. Hamlet likes her and sits with her in the outdoor court yard. After only an hour Baylor announces that needs another cigarette break and goes out to the court yard. A few minutes later, tires screech. Baylor has been hit by a church van driven by Darla's sister friend, Marnie. Yes, Marnie threatened both Darla and the dead author. Was Baylor pushed or accidentally fell into the van's path? Of course it was murder. Hamlet begins pulling books off the shelves whose titles give Darla and Jake clues in the case. The big black cat does more but I don't want to spoil the surprise of all what he does. Suspects abound in the death of Valerie Baylor.

I just loved the characters. They'rer quirky and seem to be real. The writing was pretty good; it really didn't feel like a cozy-mystery because Brandon knew how to build suspense and the book is a faster-pace than most cozies. I WILL definitely read this series!
on July 27, 2017
The cat in this series is not as foolish or ridiculous as is is sometimes the case with supernatural cats. The human characters are interesting and the plot involving the possible murder of an author has twists, but ultimately the whole thing becomes unbelievable. It was worth the bargain price, but certainly not the full price.
on January 12, 2017
I bought this book on a whim looking for a new series to read. I fell in love with the MC (in this case: Main Cat instead of Main Character) almost immediately. The book was a fun read and I couldn't wait to pick it back up again when I put it down. I will be continuing to read this series!
on May 5, 2015
Bookseller Darla is awaiting a book signing by author Valerie Baylor who writes bestsellers about teen ghosts. She received a threatening letter letter from a "Christian" organization planning to boycott the bookstore for allowing the evil author. Also, a sole protester is at the site with a sign claiming that Valerie plagiarized the protester's writings. Halfway through the book signing, the author is run down while ostensibly on a smoking break. As luck would have it, it turns out that the van that ran down the author was from the church threatening to boycott the signing. It now appears that Valerie may have been pushed in front of the car that struck her, and is thus a homicide. Darla, Jake (her tenant who is a retired police officer, now private detective) and Detective Reese of the Brooklyn police force begin to investigate. Strange things happen; books are removed from Darla's bookshelves and arranged in columns but no one appears to have broken into her apartment. –.Darla begins to zero in on the kiiller who has a strange secret , her own safety becomes endangered. It's up to Hamlet to save the day.
on July 31, 2017
I truly enjoyed this book. It was funny and very entertaining. I loved the part when Hamlet gave Ted the stink eye.
on January 19, 2013
This book is the first in the series. I found the characters very likable and true to form. The story is a woman's great aunt dies and she (Darla) inherits her bookstore. It comes with a bookstore cat with an attitude. To drum up business, Darla sets up a book signing with the author of the latest teenage craze books. During the signing, the author takes a break and disappears. She is found rundown in the road that runs in front of the bookstore. Since the books were about ghosts in a high school, all the fans and store employees are wearing the main characters black cape with a hood. With the capes on, everyone looks alike. Who was in the store and who wasn't? The author had her own entourage all wearing the capes. By looking at the pictures taken during the signing, you still can't tell who is who.
Darla and her friends bind together to prove it was murder (not just an accident) and who did it. One friend is an ex-cop that handles security for the store. One of the other friends is still on the force. Of course there are other friends woven in and out of the story. Will Darla find the killer? Are the "clues" from Hamlet the cat any help? Will Darla die trying? Why is there more pages after the death is wrapped up? Is there more to the story. Read the book. Only drawback that I found was the print was small and too much on one page. There are 325 pages. Once you are finished, you will want more.
on February 25, 2013
I bought the kindle edition of this book for my sister to read. She started to read it then put it aside. I decided after I finished one of the e books from my personal collection of ebooks onto the kindle, to try this one. Was pleasantly surprised. fun little read. My only real gripe for a novel that is a shade over 300 pages, in the physical edition, which means it's bloody short. I devour 700-1000+ page novels most of the time...or entire series at once which add up to a couple to several thousand pages worth of reading in a matter of days. Yes as a matter of fact I DO read that fast. Now given the shortness and the price would I buy the dead tree version to take up space on my shelves? Mmmm...probably not..I'm really picky about books I keep in dead tree.[hard cover, trade or mass market paperback] I'll cheerfully keep buying the ebooks though, because all that takes up is hard drive space and I've got more than I'll ever conceivably need of that. I took away one star for the shortness of it and well..it's an ebook version so really...you could afford to knock a dollar off the cover price.
on August 12, 2017
Always a sucker for smart cat mystery books. Loved the Cat Who series and now have found a new series to read! Lovely.
on July 22, 2017
This is a fun read. The character are well developed, and I loved the surprising twists! I highly recommend this book.
on July 26, 2017
Light, funny mystery! I liked the first one so let's see what the rest are all about...Hamlet! Let's read more!