Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Double Sin and Other Stories Paperback – June 19, 2012
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
“Time and again Agatha Christie pulled off what many obviously greater writers labored for in vain, a work of art which is both perfectly crafted and morally satisfying.” (A. N. Wilson)
From the Back Cover
In one of London's most elegant shops, a decorative doll in green velvet adopts some rather human, and sinister, traits. . . . A country gentleman is questioned about a murder that has yet to be committed. . . . While summoning spirits, a medium is drawn closer to the world of the dead than she ever imagined possible. . . . In a small country church, a dying man's last word, sanctuary, becomes both an elegy and a clue to a crime.
Only the Queen of Mystery could have conceived such delicious treats for suspense lovers. Only the inimitable Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple could solve them with such chilling perfection.
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $2.99 (Save 40%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Top customer reviews
Belgian detective Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple the spinster who solves foul murders! The collection includes the following stories:
1.Double Sin-A case of luggage being stolen which includes antiques. Poirot is there to solve the crime!
2. Wasp's Nest-Poirot prevents a murder from being accomplished as he gives advice to a wealthy man.
3. The Theft of the Royal Ruby-This is the longest story in this collection. The story deals with the theft of a ruby. The locale of the tale occurs at an English estate where Poirot is enjoying a traditional English Christmastide.
4. The Dressmaker's Doll-A bizarre story in which a velvet doll moves at will through the rooms of a dress shop looking for someone to love. The story is heartwarming.
5.Greenshaw Folly-Raymond West and a friend visit the estate of an eccentric old woman. Murder ensues in a perplexing case.
6. The Double Clue-Jewels are found missing following an intimate party hosted by a wealthy man. A good Russian dictionary will help Poirot solve this case!
7. The Last Séance- A weird story of supernatural happenings as a woman contacts a medium in an effort to be reunited with her deceased daughter.
8.Sanctuary -A man dies in a small country church sanctuary. His last words are "sanctuary." Jane Marple is able to solve the murder.
I have read several collections of Agatha Christie stories but this set was outstanding. Christie's major purpose is to provide entertainment and reading pleasure. She accomplished her goals in a long and fabled career!
And, yes, Hercule Poirot and Miss Jane Marple make some appearances.
Lastly, I listened to an audiobook of this book, and all of the narrators — particularly Simon Vance, Joan Hickson, and David Suchet — did a fabulous job.
My favorites mysteries were two of the Poirot tales: Wasp's Nest, The Theft of the Royal Ruby, and the very interesting Ms. Marple story Sanctuary. I also very much enjoyed The Dressmaker's Doll, which was a classic English style ghost story very elegantly told.
Some were weaker than others, but not a bad story in the bunch. Very enjoyable collection.