Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on July 3, 2005
I read this book in one sitting, and it truly was a page turner. It was funny and real. While I have to say I've read some "self-discovery" stories similar to this one, Nikki Rashan does a really good job in not making it a sappy fairy-tale. Kyla has to struggle with her discovery, like most of us do, asking the stereotypical questions that makes it hard to identify yourself as being, "like that." I also liked the fact that Rashan didn't make it a story of a woman done wrong by a dog of a man, or a lesbian pursuing a confused straight woman who was fighting her feelings all the way. Kyla's fight was much more poignant than that.
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
on May 5, 2007
This was an interesting tale of a woman confused about her identity. I could easily identify with the setting. The characters were everyday people with modest lives and careers unlike the proceeding books I have read that focused primarily on designer wardrobes, fancy cars, and endless money. None of these types of distractions clouded the story which made this a very easy read. I wonder how many other "Kyla's" are out there in my hometown. Jeff was quite a catch. To sacrifice a great man, close family ties, and two lifelong best friends... I'm not sure if Kyla made the right decision. I look forward to finding out in the sequel.
1 helpful vote
on September 26, 2003
I loved the book. I felt as if she spent two years in my shoes and wrote about my life. Thanks Nikki
6 helpful votes
on August 4, 2005
Entertaining, genuine and down to earth, DOUBLE PLEASURE

DOUBLE PAIN is the tale of Kyla, a 26-year-old "super-junior" at the local college who hasn't quite got her act together. After eight years of school, she doesn't know what she wants to do with her life, and is settling for a part-time job at a department store when she knows she could do better. And she's somewhat content with Jeff, a "good man" who loves and supports her, while her best friends Vanessa and Tori provide her comic relief.

Then a pleasant surprise takes the form of one of her classmates. In one of Kyla's social work classes (her umpteenth major), she meets Stephanie, with whom she has an immediate connection. They are both trying to get ahead in life and among the oldest students in the class. When Kyla discovers Stephanie is a lesbian, it surprises and fascinates her. Soon Kyla has to deal with her own blossoming attraction to a woman stirring up feelings she didn't know she had.

Stephanie doesn't step to Kyla at first, but let's their friendship develop slowly. Kyla gets to know her on a personal basis, even meeting Stephanie's 9-year-old son, Jaron. After a while, the ladies are sharing more than just classes--and Kyla doesn't know what to do.

The rest of the novel basically deals with Kyla's emerging sexuality and trying not to break anyone's heart, whether it's Stephanie, Jeff or her own. By the time she decides between her "safe" life with Jeff or the lesbian unknown, she's gained what's most important: the confidence to know whom she really is.

Double Pleasure Double Pain is a fast read. It's surprising to see just how Kyla will end up. Through her inner turmoil, the reader takes a voyage with Kyla through her sexual journey--and it's well worth the trip.
21 helpful votes
22 helpful votes
on September 25, 2003
With the limited number of African American texts which feature diversity in terms of sexual identity politics, I was hoping for this new piece to do more. As a member of a women's reading circle, I suggested this book as the required reading for our group's September selection. All of the eight members of our group were disappointed. We were looking for a strong, intelligent, and positive protagonist in Kyla. Instead, Kyla's character was constructed as a sexually confused young woman who suffered from psychological emptiness and sought a cure for those issues through her sexuality. The letdown of such a character is that the author was successful in helping to maintain the ideologies regarding gays and lesbians as mentally confused individuals. The carelessness from which this book was written hurts would-be people like the 26 year-old Kyla who truly wrestle with identity politics within a hostile environment. I am saddened by this author's lack of effort.
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on May 11, 2004
Nikki gives us a realistic look at how confused we can sometimes be. I have never personally experienced this type of scenario, but I have been caught between the love of someone who was off limits and someone who was totally free to be mine - and not knowing which to choose. It allows different readers to see that they are not alone in their struggles, and the best thing they can do to overcome it is follow their minds and hearts. It is nobody's decision but there own. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel - I think Nikki has more life lessons to come.
on August 22, 2004
If you have been searching for something good to read, I suggest you order this book NOW! I started reading it and could not stop! It is a serious page turner. I have never read anything that I could identify so closely with. All of the feelings and emotions conveyed by the characters were so realistic. At times I felt as though I was reading my own thoughts! This book surpassed my expectations and I plan to tell all my friends that they need to buy it TODAY!!!!! Excellent job Nikki, I look forward to reading more of your work.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on August 7, 2003
DOUBLE PLEASURE DOUBLE PAIN BY NIKKI RASHAN WAS ABSOLUTLEY WONDERFUL. THIS BOOK BASICALLY REVEALED WHAT MILLIONS OF PEOPLE GO THROUGH EVERYDAY. DO WE WANT TO BE FREE OR DO WE WANT TO BE THE WAY THE WORLD SAYS WE HAVE TO BE. THIS BOOK MADE ME LAUGH, CRY AND ALSO DIG DEEP DOWN IN MY MIND AND SAY HEY I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT. I ENJOYED EACH CHAPTER BECAUSE I CAN IDENTIFY PRETTY MUCH WITH EVERY ASPECT OF NIKKI RASHAN'S WRITING. I THINK EVERYONE, STRAIGHT, GAY OR BI HAS LIVED A PORTION OF DOUBLE PLEASURE DOUBLE PAIN.
FOR THIS TO HAVE BEEN HER FIRST BOOK, IT WAS REMARKABLE. I LOOK FORWARD TO MANY MORE ADVENTURES (ROLLER COASTER RIDES) WITH KYLA.
on August 27, 2003
I thought that the book was a definite eye opener! It was a story that revealed touching emotions that forces the reader to empathize with the main character Kyla. While reading the book, one must answer the question "What would I do to be with the one I love?" In real life, a lot of us face dilemmas where are families and friends don't approve of the person that we are in love with romantically. Some of us are courageous to risk every thing to be with the one person we truly love, but others remain cowardly because the risk is too great. This book takes you through a journey where real life emotions must be evaluated and gives the reader the opportunity to identify with a realistic and believable situation.
on January 8, 2004
A friend of mines turned me on to this book entitled "Double Pleasure Double Pain" and I must beg to differ from the haters. For this to be Nikki Rashan's first book I must simply say it is Wonderful. Kyla's adventure was truly thought provoking whether you are gay or straight. Basically, you can not lable Kyla as dysfunctional but we who are civilized and open minded would call
Kyla a "HUMAN BEING" with "LIFE EXPERIENCES".
Good job Ms. Rashan and I look forward to Kyla's next adventure.
6 helpful votes