Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Down by the Station
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 4, 2000
This is by far my 2 year old son's favorite book and he has lots of them. Whenever it's time to read to him he says "toot toot" and I know that means he wants to have this book read to him, sometimes several times in a row. The illustrations are wonderful, and there is all sorts of stuff going on if you look closely. An all around great, fun book, I highly recommend this book.
on April 18, 2000
This book is based on the song "Down by the Station" that I remember singing as a child. The words are fun (with words like "puff, puff, toot, toot, thrump, thrump") and tell of a train picking up all sorts of animal passengers. The illustrations are fun, showing what appear to be Mom and Dad animals sending their children on the train to the zoo.
I would recommend this for children ages 2-5, especially. They will like the repetitive text and the fun noises of the train, as well as the colorful illustrations.
on December 11, 2000
My 3 year old is crazy about this book! The story (tune) is easy for him to sing along with, and the pictures are adorable. They really tell the story. There is so much detail to the pictures that we can spend lots of time on each page - "do you see where the balloon went this time?" "what is the elephant doing now?". I also absolutely love it that there are very diverse children in the book - even a little girl in a wheelchair. This is now one of my regular "gift" books for all new babies, too.
on August 5, 2014
I really enjoy reading this story to my son as it gives me things to point to as I sing the song and get him to try and join in. Moreover, he will randomly point out different colors, animals, and shapes that he sees as I read thereby giving me a means to reinforce what he is learning.
on November 19, 2015
Read it in a tune and you will have ecstatic kids singing along with you. Nice illustrations which will lead to an engrossing conversation with kids as they figure out all that is happening within a page.
on February 28, 2014
My 2 year old daughter starting singing the words to the book after hearing it just a few times. The entire book can be sung (music on the last page) and has a very catchy, easy to follow tune that toddlers will love! The illustrations are beautiful and there is so much to point out on each page. On each page a different set of "mom & dad" animals drop off their "baby animal" to board the train to eventually go to a children's zoo. The book refers to the baby by the scientific name (baby elephant = calf) etc, which was a nice science lesson for my daughter to learn since she already knew the animal names and sounds, which are also shown. There is a red balloon on each page they can search for, and each page shows a prelude to where the train is going next that can help your child anticipate the next animals being picked up. Every time we read the book, we seem to find a new small detail in the illustrations that we can talk about. This book will be a favorite for years!
on September 3, 2014
Our 2 year old grandson loves this book and the companion book Down by the Barn. He chimes in as we read along and sings the song as he plays independently. This is a fun way to improve memory skills. Wonderful!
on April 28, 2000
My 2 1/2 year old LOVES this book...and so do I! It is so great to curl up with this book and spend some time singing the song (complete with wonderful animal noises) while looking at the cheery illustrations. The loving animal families as well as the children of all colors, shapes and sizes (even one in a wheel chair) lead to fun discussions as we read. My five year old loves it too!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 13, 2005
"Did you ever wonder who rides the train early in the morning, before the zoo opens?" [from flyleaf]

Well the answer is a variety of fun baby animals who carry on in the silliest way. And this nice little book captures it all. With warm, colorful art and a catchy rhyme, it can't help but draw in young children by showing them how every day the train comes and picks up all the baby animals to get them into place before the kids arrive at the zoo.

[Someone mentioned in a previous review that this made them sad. That it seemed as if the babies were being taken from their parents. We think they misunderstood however, because it seems pretty clear to us (LOL) that the train is merely going around the zoo grounds in the morning, picking up the animal babies just like the school bus pick ups human children in the morning returning them home in the evening. ]

The first on the little train is the lady zookeeper with her pet monkey and bird (we are pretty sure it's a penguin). After that the train proceeds to pickup a variety of baby animals: elephant, flamingo, panda, tiger, seal, and kangaroo.

And all the time that the zoo train is picking up the animal babies, a school bus is bringing human babies to the zoo. In fact, the last pages show the children and the animals playing together. The zookeeper and the teacher are holding a jump rope while a girl and a joey are jumping.

Four Stars. Great fun. I like that they label each animal baby appropriately as cub, pup, or joey, etc. There is lots for parents and children to look at, and it is a good opportunity to use the repetitive text for a little memory practice.
on January 22, 2012
I bought this when my daughter was 1 year old. She loved learning all the different types of animals, vehicles (trains and school bus), role (mom, dad and baby), and places (train station, bridge, school, water fountain, park). It's great to help her learn many objects.

Now at 2, she starts getting more advanced on understanding situation (not just objects) and forming full sentences.
It also teaches about helping other friends who is in trouble, saying good bye to parents to go have fun and play with your friends/go to school (I map it to go to day care), motion (going up and down, long train and shorter school bus), colors, occupation and function (buying ticket for train ride, getting onto the train, engine driver, teacher) and so much more.

On top of that, you can sing the song together with her. Such a fun book.

This book is one of the favorite non "go to sleep book". I am sure this book will keep my daughter entertain for many years to come.