Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15,212 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21,260 reviews
on February 28, 2016
I just finished viewing season 4 on Amazon Prime. As I stated in my review of season 3, this is hands down the finest series ever produced on television. I heartily wish there were a season 7, and a season 8, and a season 9...The lives of the characters are so compellingly presented that their stories and dramas reach into our own lives and teach us how to live a bit more honorably, a bit more civilly, a bit less villainously. I am used to being transported back in time and held in thrall by an excellently written book, but honestly, a television series has never hit that mark for me. This one did. Every episode, every season is absolutely outstanding, delighting, enthralling, entertaining, captivating...well, I just don't have enough superlatives to describe the Downton Abbey series!
on March 15, 2016
I absolutely love this show, and so many of the characters, there are so many scenes that I rewind just to watch that particular scene. This was truly a television jewel, and my only regret is that I did not watch it in the beginning. I have not had a chance to watch the 6th and final season because now my Firestick wants to charge me a fee. But I know that I will pay it so that i can see the final episode. My daughter sent me a link including a list of books for that time period, for those who are having Downton Abbey withdrawals. I have already ordered one of them on my Kindle.

Brava PBS, it was a look at end and turn of the century life in England that I would have never experienced, the requirement and teaching of manners, and the care of the servants by the aristocracy, although we know that all households of the period were not that caring and all servants were not that loyal. Still is showed the better side of a bygone era. Absolutely charming and acting and character development that is truly outstanding.
on April 26, 2015
I was one of those fans who heard about certain things happening at the end of season three and jumped ship. It wasn't until some trusted friends told me to tough it out and it'd be worth it. I can know say it is worth it!!

Don't give up on the Granthams! Season 5 is even better!
review image
With the shocking conclusion to Season 3, many Downton Abbey aficionados wondered whither, and whether, the series could go on. Season 4 demonstrates that there can indeed be life "after Matthew" for the noble Earl and Countess of Grantham, their daughters, son-in-law, grandchildren, mother, and ever loyal staff.

It's the 1920s, and life is really getting back to "normal" again at Downton Abbey after the upsets of World War I. Lord Grantham continues to deal with the changing face of the world, assisted now by the surprisingly able Lady Mary, his eldest daughter who is now the mother of his heir. His son-in-law Tom Branson and his younger daughter Lady Edith continue to search for roles of their own. There's a new young lady in the house now, Lady Rose, a cousin of the Granthams who is making her London debut (her presentation at Buckingham Palace is marvelous). Meanwhile, below stairs the servants loyally keep the house moving smoothly most of the time, barring the occasional catastrophe here and there.

I enjoyed Season 4, though in truth I must say that I find Downton wearing a little ragged around the edges. The original concept was so quintessentially Edwardian that it doesn't seem to quite fit into the Jazz Age, though Julian Fellowes and his writing team continue to do a masterful job. As always, it's the wonderful cast that makes the series worth watching, especially Maggie Smith, Penelope Wilton, Michele Dockery, and Jim Carter.
on July 23, 2017
My wife and I started watching this, via Amazon Prime, about 3 weeks ago..maybe 4. We just finished season 4. We've been hooked since the first episode of season 1.

But a question, if anyone reads this.......(mild spoiler alert)
It seems to us that in season 4, episodes 8 and 9 are switched. My wife first noticed that the dates had gone backwards, from 8 to 0, at least in how they are arranged here on AP. Also.... the dates, in episode 8, Edith's baby was already back on England and in Episode 9, she makes the decision, it seems, to go retrieve her. That's backwards.

Anyone else notice this?
on March 11, 2014
I read the reviews before purchasing season 4 of "Downton Abbey," so I was prepared for a downbeat season. The main characters, whom we've come to know and love, are mostly present. However, Siobhan Finneran as Miss. O'Brien and Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley are missing. I read that Stevens wanted off of the show. He is much missed in this season. I don't know why Miss O'Brien left the show. She is also sadly missed as one of the most interesting actors and characters in the show.

The plotline of season 3 was a bit weak, and season 4 is weaker still. And yet I still love the series and hope its writers can come up with a more engaging 5th season. We have come to love the extended family and want to follow them through their lives. The acting is superb. The costumes and sets are a treat to the eyes. The camera work is excellent. The musical theme tugs at our emotions. Hopefully, season 5 will take us back to the better writing of the first two seasons.
on August 14, 2015
Excellent acting and storytelling. My wife and I watched all 4 seasons in about 5 evenings. Since I am from England and know a little bit about the era; I was impressed with the trouble that was taken to be authentic in dress mannerisms and so forth. The stories are compelling and show how all our lives evolve based as a result of war, changing exonomies, social norms and acceptable behaviour. This period changed Great Britain forever and was the beginning of the end of the empire along with those of much of Europe, including Germany and Russia. It was a time of social revolution and changing mores. Downton Abbey does a bang up job of portraying the tides upon which the working class and the upper class rode.
on April 27, 2016
If it was possible to give Downton Abbey more than five stars I would. The final season aired only a few months back and it is already being called a classic. Even though this is fiction, the writers respected the history of the period. Also the costuming followed the eras. The characters and the acting is exquisite. I am watching the entire series for a second time and enjoying it just as much as the first time around. There is so much content that you are able to pick up on the subtleties you might have missed during the first viewing. Highly recommended.
on September 4, 2015
The series has me hooked, because I love old houses, vintage clothing and love the cinematography. Not because it's the best thing on TV.

The dialogue, plot and drama too often play out like an afternoon soap opera.

But, both new and veteran actors in this series show how talented they really are, by making a silk purse out of the sow's ear they're tasked with.

I don't know why they try and cram so much into every show, or why the actors are asked to carry forward so many disconnected plot lines, very often ending up with too short, too quickly wrapped up, story lines.

Still, an enjoyable, fun show for a vintage fashion and history lover.
on April 21, 2016
I have been an on again/off again fan from the second season. I came into series in the second season, and watched through the third at that time, but when they killed Matthew and the season ended, my interests moved into other things. But, having enjoyed the first three seasons immensely, I decided to check back in, as it were. Unfortunately...
Something has happened this season...the writing is poorer, the situations are far more contrived, and the story-line is just tracking along without thought or plot, other than the most played out pairings and "tying up of loose ends".
Seriously? Is EVERYONE going to get married and have a happy little life now? I valued this series for it's relative believability, but this has become rather ridiculous.
On one side, it was nice, in a very juvenile sort of way, to see that everyone is being taken care of and everyone gets a trite happy ending...but I had more respect for this series than that. Obviously, I was incorrect. I feel almost betrayed, though I'm not sure that I have a right to feel that way, not really.
But, whether I have the right or not, I'm not a fan of the laziness of the progression here, not to mention the characters are being shuffled off with dispatch...it almost leaves me to wonder who will be around for season 5...if I bother to watch.

For all the negatives, the show is still beautiful, the costumes are period and exceedingly well done, the architecture and interiors are, as always, stunning. Though the attention to detail about how upper-class life was conducted has very much slipped this season, the echoes are still there in many of the scenes. Since I was a child I was always fascinated by the Victorian/Edwardian period in England, and this series has given an incredibly precise and thorough view into that world, even if liberties were taken with relationships and realities.
(That ruler...the one that *measures the place settings* gets me every time, lol!)

I am glad to have seen through this season, for the sake of completeness, but I have to wonder if I'm going to bother investing in season 5 at this point, or just wait until it hopefully comes online for free through amazon prime. I can continue working on my sewing projects without losing anything in either money or time as I complete out the series, so I believe at this time I will hold out.

I'm torn between two and three stars here...there are some high points, and it's certainly not horrible...But the quality I had come to expect is certainly lacking.