Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15,213 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21,261 reviews
on February 28, 2016
I just finished viewing season 4 on Amazon Prime. As I stated in my review of season 3, this is hands down the finest series ever produced on television. I heartily wish there were a season 7, and a season 8, and a season 9...The lives of the characters are so compellingly presented that their stories and dramas reach into our own lives and teach us how to live a bit more honorably, a bit more civilly, a bit less villainously. I am used to being transported back in time and held in thrall by an excellently written book, but honestly, a television series has never hit that mark for me. This one did. Every episode, every season is absolutely outstanding, delighting, enthralling, entertaining, captivating...well, I just don't have enough superlatives to describe the Downton Abbey series!
on March 15, 2016
I absolutely love this show, and so many of the characters, there are so many scenes that I rewind just to watch that particular scene. This was truly a television jewel, and my only regret is that I did not watch it in the beginning. I have not had a chance to watch the 6th and final season because now my Firestick wants to charge me a fee. But I know that I will pay it so that i can see the final episode. My daughter sent me a link including a list of books for that time period, for those who are having Downton Abbey withdrawals. I have already ordered one of them on my Kindle.

Brava PBS, it was a look at end and turn of the century life in England that I would have never experienced, the requirement and teaching of manners, and the care of the servants by the aristocracy, although we know that all households of the period were not that caring and all servants were not that loyal. Still is showed the better side of a bygone era. Absolutely charming and acting and character development that is truly outstanding.
on July 23, 2017
My wife and I started watching this, via Amazon Prime, about 3 weeks ago..maybe 4. We just finished season 4. We've been hooked since the first episode of season 1.

But a question, if anyone reads this.......(mild spoiler alert)
It seems to us that in season 4, episodes 8 and 9 are switched. My wife first noticed that the dates had gone backwards, from 8 to 0, at least in how they are arranged here on AP. Also.... the dates, in episode 8, Edith's baby was already back on England and in Episode 9, she makes the decision, it seems, to go retrieve her. That's backwards.

Anyone else notice this?
on August 14, 2015
Excellent acting and storytelling. My wife and I watched all 4 seasons in about 5 evenings. Since I am from England and know a little bit about the era; I was impressed with the trouble that was taken to be authentic in dress mannerisms and so forth. The stories are compelling and show how all our lives evolve based as a result of war, changing exonomies, social norms and acceptable behaviour. This period changed Great Britain forever and was the beginning of the end of the empire along with those of much of Europe, including Germany and Russia. It was a time of social revolution and changing mores. Downton Abbey does a bang up job of portraying the tides upon which the working class and the upper class rode.
on April 27, 2016
If it was possible to give Downton Abbey more than five stars I would. The final season aired only a few months back and it is already being called a classic. Even though this is fiction, the writers respected the history of the period. Also the costuming followed the eras. The characters and the acting is exquisite. I am watching the entire series for a second time and enjoying it just as much as the first time around. There is so much content that you are able to pick up on the subtleties you might have missed during the first viewing. Highly recommended.
on April 21, 2016
I have been an on again/off again fan from the second season. I came into series in the second season, and watched through the third at that time, but when they killed Matthew and the season ended, my interests moved into other things. But, having enjoyed the first three seasons immensely, I decided to check back in, as it were. Unfortunately...
Something has happened this season...the writing is poorer, the situations are far more contrived, and the story-line is just tracking along without thought or plot, other than the most played out pairings and "tying up of loose ends".
Seriously? Is EVERYONE going to get married and have a happy little life now? I valued this series for it's relative believability, but this has become rather ridiculous.
On one side, it was nice, in a very juvenile sort of way, to see that everyone is being taken care of and everyone gets a trite happy ending...but I had more respect for this series than that. Obviously, I was incorrect. I feel almost betrayed, though I'm not sure that I have a right to feel that way, not really.
But, whether I have the right or not, I'm not a fan of the laziness of the progression here, not to mention the characters are being shuffled off with dispatch...it almost leaves me to wonder who will be around for season 5...if I bother to watch.

For all the negatives, the show is still beautiful, the costumes are period and exceedingly well done, the architecture and interiors are, as always, stunning. Though the attention to detail about how upper-class life was conducted has very much slipped this season, the echoes are still there in many of the scenes. Since I was a child I was always fascinated by the Victorian/Edwardian period in England, and this series has given an incredibly precise and thorough view into that world, even if liberties were taken with relationships and realities.
(That ruler...the one that *measures the place settings* gets me every time, lol!)

I am glad to have seen through this season, for the sake of completeness, but I have to wonder if I'm going to bother investing in season 5 at this point, or just wait until it hopefully comes online for free through amazon prime. I can continue working on my sewing projects without losing anything in either money or time as I complete out the series, so I believe at this time I will hold out.

I'm torn between two and three stars here...there are some high points, and it's certainly not horrible...But the quality I had come to expect is certainly lacking.
on May 17, 2015
Mostly a disappointment after the first three seasons. Plots seemed tired with little flow or connection to the past. It's difficult to do justice to so many characters. Throughout the entire series, I found Cora to be irritating and one-dimensional. This season was no exception. As always, Bates and Anna--as well as Carson, Mrs. Hughes and the cook--and the delightful Daisy--provided the high points. Mary has turned to ice, apparently. The two males competing for her attention are so insipid, this viewer doesn't care which--if either--prevails. Rose's behavior is so bizarre, it lacks credibility. Also, there are the usual lapses which suggest these series have been edited and not in a good way.
on July 19, 2017
This is an excellent series about a family living in the beautiful countryside of England from the late 1800's - 1920's. It is filmed in a castle that is still lived in today. Beautiful surroundings and actors starring Hugh Bonneville, Elizabeth McGovern, Joanne Frogget, and many others.
I wish it was still being filmed as I could continue watching for many seasons. Excellent Series.
on November 29, 2015
I tend to wait till a seasons over then buy the whole DVD. But I didn't this time when I read reviews about Anna being assaulted. Thankfully I changed my mind. As always the costumes and scenery are sumptuous But it's the development of the characters that make this show successful Dame Maggie Smith is still tremendous as the grand Dowager But some of the most touching moments are between her and poor Matthews Mum. Lady Mary's emergence from her grief to deciding to take up what Matthew started and work to save Downton is great-nice to see a woman in this time period speak up and be heard. Anna's assault was heartbreaking And Bates tearful realization of what happened is a Kleenex moment We're left with a possible moral dilemma Anna's attacker meets an untimely death shoved into traffic Bates was in London on the day of the death Did Bates kill him? And is it really a crime to end the life of a monster who would not have been arrested for what he did? At the end of it we know Anna would have had no peace until her attacker was dead Lady Edith has a small, though unknown to most of her family, scandal Having a illegitimate child-we learn the child will be coming to stay at a nearby farm Will Edith's secret be kept? Will the father of the child appear? Some characters however seemed to have no purpose Braithwait as The lady of the abbeys maid is barely there then gone again The scandal it seems was a one night stand with Tom but it goes nowhere And of course Thomas the closeted gay footman who broods and make snarky comments, seems to have no purpose. Shirley McLaine reappears and brings Paul Giamatti with her,but neither are given much to do or say Roses introduction as court is a nice piece of history How the upper classes behaved and what made them more superior to others We see technology arriving with electricity, fridges and a food mixer Its well written and funny in the right places As we know WW2 is approaching Will the Abbey survive, will the servants move with the times and leave? I'm truely looking forward to the next season. But still crossing my fingers that Bates and Anna get their happily ever after
on July 4, 2014
Happy wife happy life..........my good lady is a devout follower of Downton Abbey so have made sure she has the collection to watch whenever she wants,(which is often).........simple easy things like this that make her smile.Good enough for me.
Don't be mis lead by the notation of being (UK Edition) it IS formatted for region one (USA),has been a question a lot have asked so figured I would clear that up for those pondering the purchase.Again,format for the DVD is USA region 1.
Well worth the purchase price,sure can save a couple of bucks buying elsewhere but Amazon does have a great return policy so for me its worth the couple bucks more.
Extras on the DVD are good,just a worthwhile purchase if you are a follower of this series.