Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dr. Martens Men's Pier Boot
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on November 12, 2012
Purchased these shoes November 2011, after light occasional use (maybe 30 to 35 times) the soles, the light brown leather part, completely cracked and broke on one shoe, the heel is coming off on the other. Upper shoe is fine, but isn't much use without the sole. Very disappointed, should have gone with the same black traditional style that I always have purchased.
review image review image
44 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2014
Despite the classic look and great styling, these boots did not last two months. Doc Martens are not what they once were. My first pair of Docs lasted over 10 years. All I wanted was a sturdy, durable boot and these did not deliver. In less than 2 months both heels fell off. I liked the fit and looks of the boot well enough to glue them back on. The FIRST time around I used Shoe Goo and c-clamps to ensure a solid bond. The heels fell off again. SECOND time around I used Gorilla Glue; same thing, heels fell off again. If you buy this boot as a fashion accessory only and rarely wear them, you MIGHT be satisfied but I guarantee you that the heels will eventually fall off, sooner than later, just like a large majority of the reviews state. I have no idea how anyone could give this boot more than 1 star unless they never wear them and just sit and look at them. Very disappointed, these boots fit great, look great and the leather is amazing, if they could only figure out how to manufacture a one-piece sole like docs of the past.
on May 3, 2012
These are a nice, lightweight, comfortable pair of boots that look good but aren't over-styled. That combination is fairy hard to come by in my book, and I have been satisfied with my purchase. As my first pair of Doc Martens, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I read many reviews and decided that they were worth a shot, especially for the Amazon price (compared to other shoe sites like zappos.com.) I'll try to be as descriptive as I can-
Color: I purchased the brown color boots, and they are a nice, deep brown color. They do not have a painted or fake appearance, nor do they have a shined look (although they could easily be shined up.) They are a nice, dark brown leather color.
Quality: They seem to be of good build and don't show any signs of structural weakness (although I've only had them for about 2 weeks.) The rubber Air Wair soles have lots of give. They feel like foam soles when you're walking in them, and they're very light. The rubber material seems like it will be little less resistant to wear than I would like, but they haven't shown signs of wear yet. (When riding a motorcycle, the heels of boots tend to wear quickly. For just walking, the soles wouldn't bother me at all.) The soles appear to be sewn on, however the forward sole actually has stitching coming through it on the bottom. It's actually double stitched through toe of the sole, which should hold up for a long while. The toe and heel caps are both double stitched, and the upper is triple stitched. The boot is built with good quality leather that, while fairly supple, holds it's shape well and feels sturdy. (I bought this boot for motorcycle riding and I feel that it would hold up well in a crash.) The toe is not re-enforced, but the leather is thick enough that it won't become floppy or less defined. There is no real padding/insulation on the inside of the boot, but the leather is soft enough so that it doesn't bother me one bit. It molds to you after a few days of wear, and I never had any chafing problems. The collar is lined with soft suede leather, which makes a major point of rubbing and discomfort a non-issue. The eyelets aren't sewn in, they're punched or riveted in. I have no worries about the eyelets or the hooks on the top half of the shaft of the boot. There is a loop and a pull tab on the back of the collar to help with putting the boots on, but they do not get in the way of my pants at all... In fact I just now noticed them. In all, they seem well made and sturdy without being stiff and uncomfortable. However, I don't know if I would trust them for, say, construction work or roofing or something like that. They're not built up enough for extreme daily working conditions.
Style: As I stated before, these boots are quite stylish without being overstated. The toe cap give the boot an old-fashioned look, and the toe has a low profile which makes them look more like business casual wear than clunky work boots (and they're great for shifting on a motorcycle.) The color of the sole is a good compliment to the brown leather as well. These really could be worn with just about anything and still look appropriate.
Sizing: Here's where things get a little shaky. After reading reviews about how they come a size large, I ordered a size small. I wear US size 12 in most shoes, but in some I'm a 13. I ordered a UK size 10, which is apparently a size US 11 in hopes that the reviews would be true and they would fit like a US 12. The boot fits... like a latex glove. At best it's a US 11.5. The tip of my toe is always in slight contact with the front of the boot, and I also have very low-profile feet (they're not very meaty.) I would have sent them back if not for 2 things: Leather will stretch over time, and I MUCH prefer my shoes to be snug than to be too roomy. The more I wear them, the more comfortable they become, so I think I made a good choice. However, if you wear a US 12/13 and have wide or thick feet, I wouldn't buy the UK 10. They are snug on the top of my foot, and I don't have very thick feet at all. If you have slight feet and don't mind snug-fitting shoes, then I would say order a US size small, but if you wear wide shoes or just have fat feet, order true to your size. Or if you wear a US 11/12 then I would suggest the UK 10 size.

So- good boot, very comfortable, very wearable. Weird sizing and sturdiness of the rubber soles will be tested.
And thus concludes my first Amazon review, I hope that this essay helped, and good on you for getting all the way through it.
Happy shopping.
on April 13, 2011
I have owned about fifteen pairs of Docs over the years so I am obviously a big fan. These boots are one of the best looking pair I've seen from DM. They have a classic styling that stands out just a little but not to the point of looking ridiculous. The leather uppers seem to be of good quality and are thick but not too stiff. The faux leather midsole is a nice touch and adds to the vintage look. As far as comfort, these boots feel surprisingly good right out of the box. I expected a short break-in period, but I've worn the boots several hours now without a hint of discomfort. Other reviewers have commented about the boots being over sized. I ordered my usual size 12 US and the fit is perfect. One of the problems with Doc Martin is their unwillingness to offer half sizes. Not an issue for me, but I'm sure it is for many. It is, of course, too early to tell about durability. Only time will tell, but I've had good luck in the past and hopefully that will continue.
on January 22, 2012
I put these on and I immediately have women flocking to me. I had to put a new deadbolt on my door. Once I lace these suckers up and start strutting the streets I have to kick my admirers from my ankles, their deathgrips enough for me to know that I could "hit that" post-haste. But I've got strutting to do. Ten hours of it. In sleet and snow. Because I can in my lady killer boots. The only downside is that I have to wear them in bed so that the ladies don't realize I'm entirely uninteresting without them. No biggie, they don't weigh me down.
44 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2014
I ordered a pair of these from amazon and was really excited when I got them. Really nice looking pair of boots, and they only look better over time with some care. I've been using Dr Marten's Wonder Balsam to keep them looking great.

Only problem is that after 6 months of wearing them the heel came off. It's nothing that a 5 dollar trip to the shoe repair place couldn't fix, but it's kind of unacceptable for a pair of boots from a manufacturer known for their life-lasting quality. It comes down to a really cheap glue used for the heel. Every other part of the sole is stiched, and should last forever. But the glue on the heel is really bad. I live in Los Angeles, where it hasn't rained in almost a year- I'd never even gotten these boots wet!

Luckily Amazon sent a new pair no questions asked. I still recommend registering the shoes with DrMartens within 60 days of getting them, so that you get a lifetime warranty. If you don't do that, the warranty is not for life.

It was pretty sad putting my old pair in the box to send back to Amazon after months of wearing them in. but I'm happy I have a new pair. One star for poor build quality, and another because Amazon was great with the customer service. I'll update on the new pair once I know how they're doing. If they also fall apart I'll flip it back to one star.
on December 22, 2014
I was looking for a pair of bike boots for casual wear when I'm not wearing my alpine stars boots. I took these boots with me around the world to motorcycle in Ireland and the UK and back to the USA for Burning Man and a week on the playa (twice). I don't know what the issue others have had with these boots - but mine held up to the worse abuse that you can give them. Attached is a photo of my Pier boots after Burning Man. I cleaned them up and used a nice leather conditioner and they look like the product image here. Further - they are just as smooth and supple as they were new. People notice these boots under my jeans. Lastly - my boot have the added bonus of playa dust on them. Never going to be the same! 5 of 5 stars.
on May 7, 2012
Like the title says, I love these boots. Stylish as well as professional looking. They feel tough enough to hike with, and they're quality made, so they'll last forever. These are my work/party/post-apocalyptic boots. Multipurpose to fit your every and any need. They also give you an extra inch in height, which is nice.
Get em!
on October 12, 2010
I have size 11 feet (US) and I ordered the size 10 UK (US 11) in order to compensate. The boots were WAY too big. Had to send them back and get the UK 9 (US 10) and they fit and I still have a good amount of room. I don't see how this makes any sense at all that I would need to drop a full size but whatever, these seem like awesome boots. Buying some big 'ol insoles to fill up the rest of the room. Will update my review once I've broken them in!

- Never got a chance to break them in because they fit so awkward that I had to return them. I ended up with Timberland Earthkeepers and love them.
on July 30, 2015
So, I've had 2 pairs of these boots now, and not because I desperately desired a second pair. I love the way these boots fit, and the way they look. However, the most disconcerting thing about them is that the rubber portion of the heel on these boots keeps coming unglued. The first pair Amazon graciously allowed me to exchange for a new pair of the same, and once I received the second pair, I thought it had been a fluke that the first pair had lost the rubber heel.

Unfortunately, it's happened again. I've had the second pair for 10 months, with irregular use. They have been primarily worn to class, or out on dates with my wife. This is not the DM that I remember. The quality of these boots is terrible compared to that of a pair I've had for almost a decade. I wouldn't recommend these to anyone. Find a better pair from a better brand.