Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on October 28, 2012
My review on this book will focus on 2 aspects: the comic & the pop ups. I'll start off with the pop ups, since that's the main reason I bought this book in the first place. I'm a pop up book collector and I find this book to be a great addition to my collection. it delivers every bit of what is sets out to be. the pop ups are great to look at and slightly exceeded my expectation (I did not set a high expectation for it because i imagined that the book will focus more on the comic rather than its pop up). they are not as complicated as compared to those of robert sabuda & matthew reinhart's pop up, but it's still good and i'd definitely recommend it for pop up book collectors!

now the second aspect of the book, the comic. the graphics are well drawn and i found myself enjoying the whole book. it recounts the story of count dracula (but explained through the perspective of a his lawyer). the comic blends well with the pop ups. the only drawback of the book is the rare disconnection of the plot throughout the whole book. this is partly because the author was trying to cramp a long story of count dracula into the limited pages of a pop up book (pop up books collectors will know that pop up books can only accommodate a couple of pages). thus, the author are forced to choose the main plot points of the story to tell in this book. another drawback of the book is the way the book is read. readers have to be careful to find out how to read the book chronologically (i.e. from left side of the pop up - TOP to BOTTOM; then move on to the main big pop up in the middle of the page; then finally the right side of the pop up - BOTTOM to TOP). this manner of reading was not explained, so some readers may get confused if they did not read in the correct order.

all in all, the book is still very entertaining and i would definitely recommend it! and besides, with the low price offered by amazon, this book is such a good bargain (good value for money)!
When I saw this title pop-up in my recommended list,I knew I had to get it because it combines two of my interests - pop-ups and "Dracula" (one of my all-time favorite Gothic horror novels). The pop-ups are wonderfully done, a combination of well-crafted paper engineering and 3-D scenes. The story itself remains faithful to the original classic by Bram Stoker, though the story itself has been condensed to cover only the main details (since this is a graphic novel combined with a pop-up). All the spreads cover two pages - the first has a pop-up of Dracula's castle in Transylvania, and there are folded in panels on both sides that open to reveal more of the story (conveyed in a series of illustrated panels in color); the second spread reveals a pop-up of Jonathan Harker uncovering Dracula's lair; the third spread (also one of the creepiest) is a pop-up of Dracula in the guise of a wolf aboard the Demeter; the fourth pop-up is a building, and one of the windows reveals Lucy crying at her mother's bedside (Lucy's mother dies of fright when she sees the wolf at her daughter's bedside) and there is a giant bat hovering over the building; the fifth pop-up is a graveyard scene with Lucy carrying an infant victim; the sixth pop-up is one of Mina being visited by Dracula, and the final pop-up is the scene where Dracula is staked through the heart.

Though I love this pop-up book, it could have been better. Firstly, like another reviewer mentions, some of the pop-up figures do not open fully and do end up looking less scary than intended. Secondly, the side story panels (to the left and right) of the pop-up on each two-page spread are laid out in a somewhat confusing manner. It was only after some re-reading that I figured out that the side panels are to be read from the back to the front and not vice versa. Just a minor glitch but it still impacted the flow of my reading, hence only 4*. On the whole, I'd still recommend this to collectors of pop-up books, particularly those who are also fans of the horror classic. I have a couple of different editions of "Dracula", including some illustrated versions (like the one by Gorey) and this adds to my collection. I hope they come up with pop-ups of other horror classics like those based on Poe's works and also Shelley's Frankenstein.

Note: Due to some of the disturbing images, this may not be appropriate for young children.
on May 25, 2014
While I'm not particularly a stickler for the details of the story's continuity and accuracy to the original, one would be hard pressed to say that this pop-up book doesn't pull you into the story! The details are amazing, the colors vivid. True to it's cover, it is a graphic book/comic style reading, which for some may be a bother, but otherwise very engaging. Take care though when you first receive the book as some of the pages may be stuck together upon first opening it. Overall, it's a fragile book, so handle with care. Otherwise, I would encourage this be your young children's first "horror" book, if there ever were such a thing.
on October 1, 2009
This is a nice book that remains true to its comic book/graphic novel format, using appropriately murky colors. The pop-ups are fairly nice; of special note is the fierce dog in the third spread which would give small children the heebie-jeebies. The story line fairly accurately follows the original Dracula. The book gets four stars because some of the pop-ups do not open all the way, giving the characters depicted a somewhat humorous appearance, an example being the Dracula figure in the sixth spread. The little pop-up of the dog coming through the window in the small page on the left of the third spread hangs up and will not close without assistance. The book is a keeper for my pop-up collection because of its unique appearance and subject matter.
on March 3, 2017
Good book! I would have liked the paper to be thicker so that the elements were more rigid, everything else is cool!
on December 16, 2013
The pop ups are so elaborate. This is an amazing book. It's definitely more for the older audience ad some of the pop-ups are fragile, and frightening. Cover was ripped near the spine when it arrive because of the way the cover is constructed over the front and back boards. I love the detail putin to the book I jsut wish it wasn't so fragile.
on March 18, 2012
For the price paid, this item is great. The pop-outs are some of the best I have seen. As a guy who loves Halloween, this will be a great addition to my living room table when I have people over. I am not sure if it's a kids book, but if you like Dracula and/or comics, this is a great one to add to the collection.
on January 20, 2016
Really nice work, collected both editions. Will use as a textbook for paper engineering!
on January 22, 2012
As a collector of inexpensive pop-up books this one is lovely. As a collector of Vampire items, this is such a great addition to my collection. I gave one as a gift and purchased one for my daughter. Very well made and the popups are very appealing and seem quite durable; the story is told well in this version also.
on September 23, 2010
This pop-up book is awesome!! The pop-ups themselves are very intricate, and I love that every page has a small sidebar with an additional pop-up. The art reminds me of a graphic novel; it gives the story so much more weight and excitement. This is a perfect coffee table book, and I am going to buy more of these!