Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Platform: PC/Mac|Edition: Standard|Change

Showing 1-10 of 169 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 380 reviews
on December 13, 2015
I'm really into story and characters, so for me this was a great game. You have to spend time with it to get into the intricacies of the characters and the setting (i prefer to turn on the option to highlight all the items you can interact with so i can find all the codex stuff), but it's worth the time, and the plot really holds its own. Lots of replay value. It's nice to play a character who isn't tasked with saving the entire world, it makes it easier to connect with. There's a lot of content about the family you're born with and the family you can build along the way, which is grounding for the roleplay aspect, and you have a lot of control over the tone of your relationships with all of those people.
My sister, who has played a lot more videogames than I have, can't get through DA2 because the combat system is so irritating to her, but I didn't have any issues. The combat animations are lovely, and the overall visual style is good and distinctive. The dungeon map repetition gets funny after a while, and honestly, as someone who gets lost really easily, it's helpful for actually finding things and getting on with the game. The DLC are fantastic!! They both give you more content with your companions, depending on who you bring with you. Mark of the Assassin is really fun, Legacy is heavier in tone and you need to play it (or watch a playthrough) if you want Inquisition to make any sense, which is ridiculous but here we are.
It's got some quirks and some sloppy writing bits (they did rush production) but in the end I think the good outweighs the bad, and it's probably my favorite videogame.
on September 21, 2012
Not having read all 260+ customer reviews of DA2 on Amazon, I'll start by saying forgive me for repeating what others may have said already, and I'll try to be brief.

Very quickly into the game you start to realize how oppressively small and local the world is compared to most RPG's. I kept thinking, "I hope this isn't all there is." But that's not the worst of it. You'll probably be quite upset if you paid full price for this game when you see that you have discovered almost every map within the first 5-10 hours of game play, and after that you just keep going back to the same maps to fight different enemies... over and over again. This seems like incredibly rushed and limited creativity.

Next thing you'll notice (if you played it) is that there is *easily* 10 times more content in Dragon Age: Origins than in this game. In fact, I would go so far as to say that DA2 does not have as much content as one or two trips to the Deep Roads in DAO, and there are nowhere near as many NPC's, nor as many quests or story lines.

Which leads me to the worst offense of DA2 - several quests have been totally plagiarized from DAO. The developers must have had very serious time and budget constraints to pull some crap like this. Either that or they were incredibly lazy. I guess for people who did not play DAO this is a non-issue, but for my wife and I this is a huge disappointment.

There are some minor improvements over DAO, such as the keyboard shortcut R for very fast selection and retrieval of loot, and selecting the nearest enemy for attack. Also, the player character's voice is now fully scripted and acted by real people, versus a hero who never speaks in Origins. I'd also give DA2 a slight edge in the environmental graphics category.

The acting of all characters is very well done, and there is some witty and humorous dialog. Still, each of these good points pale in comparison to Origins. Alistair sticking up for your pet mubari in his baby-talk voice is the perfect example: "Ee's naught mainjee!" My wife and I both loao. :D

Overall it's a good game, but I'm glad to see it's come down in price to around $8 (on Amazon Prime), which is what it should have cost to begin with.
on May 19, 2016
Download Origin to your PC then Download the game through Origin and it works perfect! Don't download from the disk because the servers from EA are no longer available! Once you have Origin account and downloaded through Origin the game works perfectly. Hope this helps people with the online activation problem!
on November 17, 2011
I truly loved Dragon Age Origins, I thought was a great game with terrific music, great story and fairly easy game play. I would have rated that game a 9 of 10 easily. Unfortunately, I can't give the same kudos to Dragon Age II, which I would rate a 7 of 10. Still good, still worth playing, but definately a bit of a let down after my Origins experience. So here's what goes into that rating:

1. The controls are quite clunky. It feels like this wasn't really meant for PC so clicking on enemies and even walking feels a bit awkward. That having been said, a lot of the interfaces are the same as Origins so at least it feels a bit familiar if nothing else.

2. This game is out 2 years after Origins, yet I don't see a significant evolution of the graphics, the kind you would have seen between GTA: San Andreas and GTA 4 for example. The graphics were fairly similar to those of Origins. Maybe slightly better, but not enough difference to really be able to tell.

3. I didn't feel that the story was all that compelling. It was actually a little convoluted and a little contrived. There really wasn't a lot of depth in the character development or in the relationships. In Origins, I really felt something for the various characters and was quite concerned about how the relationships played out. In this one, it doesn't really seem to matter much to me.

4. It feels a bit too linear and a bit too controlled. I don't like the fact that you can't go "off path", even to the extent that you can take a shortcut off the side of the stairs for example. Maybe I'm just too used to open world games like Fallout 3 and GTA 4. Still, it would have been nice.

5. I liked the dialogue options in Origins, you really got a sense of whether or not what you were going to say was going to piss someone off. In DA II, you have no clue. You get an icon that indicates if its a peaceful, aggressive or funny comment, but thats it and I find sometimes the funny comment isn't very funny and pisses people off while the aggressive comment gets their respect, but since you have little idea what you're actually going to say, there's no way to RP this one and know how your character should respond so you just kind of go with it blindly, which isn't very compelling at all. It doesn't immerse you in the experience.

6. I liked the fact that in Origins, you had lots of options about backstory, race, etc. In DA II. You're a human, deal with it. No choice at all on that one. Seems to really limit things.

7. The music just doesn't compell me like in Origins. Its there and its similar in many ways to Origins, but we just don't get those really great scores like when you have your love scene in Origins, etc. I'm not hitting any great music. Its just ho hum

8. A game is meant to be played, not watched. A few cut scenes are fine for moving the story along but I feel like I'm watching a movie here, not playing a game. There's a lot of opportunities for game play where it seems they just lazily made a cut scene and called it a day. The entire opening of this thing with the concept of working for a year to pay off a debt, etc, goes by not by doing various jobs and working your way out of servitude but rather with a 2 minute cutscene that sums everything up with a nice ribbon on it. The cutscenes are out of hand on this one. I'm pretty sure I've spent half my game time watching stupid cutscenes as opposed to exploring, fighting, etc. Granted, Origins had a lot of cutscenes too, but it wasn't overdone. There was plenty of great game play on that one. This one isn't so balanced I feel.

9. I keep running into quest items before I've actually accepted the quest, so I end up picking stuff up and then going back to whoever owned it and saying hey i found this and they give me money. It seems a little silly that I can fulfill quests that were never given. This could have been done much better. Either you find the item but then you get to have the conversation with the person, which is especially good if you're doing a more open world concept (which this clearly is not), or you don't enable the quest item to show up until the quest is given. Either way, I feel like a quest machine, just running around filling quests instead of exploring, fighting and getting to know my fellow characters on a deeper level. Of course my character is so poorly developed, what do you expect?

So that's the bad, generally the game is uninspired and not particularly compelling. That having been said, there's some good too. If you liked Origins, you'll still enjoy this game. The fighting is kind of fun even if it does get repetative sometimes and there is good humor in it, some of which works nicely on an adult level.

There's no question that its worthwhile to buy it if you can get a decent deal on it, but if you played Origins and loved it, be prepared for a less satisfying experience.
on November 23, 2015
Word of Warning! I managed to get past the "Release Date Check" bug but.. whomever had this game before me did not delete it from their EA account. Since the product key is still tied to that account, I can't play the game. I literally just bought $13.00 worth of worthless plastic. So if you're thinking about buying a used copy.. don't. Next time I'll just download it I guess.
on February 14, 2017
So I actually wasn't able to play the game. I was sent a import version and the product key didn't was not usage able in Origin. I gave it 3 stars though because giving it a poor rating for the product based on shipping/seller errors is in my opinion unfair. Amazon was great and refunded me the game and I sent it back, even after opening it. I still plan to get this game at some point in the future but will probably get it from Origin directly to avoid any issues with what version I get.
on January 28, 2016
Overall, pretty good.

Story was interesting, it wasn't "save the world"
But it was a story of one man/woman who worked/fought for his/her family and friends
Also a story of conflict with an unexpected twist.
Though the story was quite linear.

Combat was definitely improved compared to the first entry.

If there is one thing that Bioware could have done much better, it's the voice acting
Voice acting isn't bad, but could have been much better. (Especially when you compare it to Mass Effect trilogy)

But I really enjoyed and loved this game
on February 19, 2017
very disappointed. Have not been able to run the program because of a glitch - the disc is unreadable at the point where I am to receive a code to unlock ( ie verify) the program. If you have a substitute disc to send me, I would appreciate it, since the current disc is apparently faulty. Thank you. Address: Jerome Freund, P.O. Box 1135, Nassawadox, Va, 23413. email: epworthfreund@verizon.net
on December 14, 2016
Comes with activation key that is too short and EA support staff are terrible
on August 8, 2016
Dragon Age 1 was an amazing game; excellent story-telling combined with well-balanced engagements. Dragon Age 2, however, was modeled after console style combat engines and was not at all enjoyable as compared to DA1. The game seemed significantly more focused on showy, teenage-interested gamers that just want to run around and kill stuff in overly cinematic engagements. I have abandoned the series.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.