Dragon Dictate for Mac 4.0 (OLD VERSION)
|Price:||$84.85 & FREE Shipping.Details|
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Accurately transcribe an audio file of any single speaker's voice from podcasts or recorded audio files
- Multiple transcription sources allowed within a profile so one user can easily manage different recordings
- Compose and reply to emails in Gmail using full text controls, doing dictation and editing natively without having to transfer any text
- Higher performance with drastically reduced latency and faster editing with pure 64-bit application and improved memory management capabilities
- Improved accuracy over version 3.x, with optimization for latest speech recognition technology.
Frequently bought together
Customers also shopped for
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Transcribe, Edit and Write All by Voice
Dragon Dictate for Mac, version 4 is the ultimate productivity tool that enables you to save time and get more done. Dictate, edit, transcribe and control your computer all by using your voice. Dragon’s accurate speech recognition, customizable capabilities, easy-to-use interface and full transcription ﬂexibility means you get more done — at home, school or work — quickly and accurately. Dragon Dictate for Mac, version 4 now includes the powerful capability to accurately transcribe an audio ﬁle of any single speaker’s voice from podcasts or pre-recorded audio ﬁles. You now get accurate and fast speech recognition, plus versatile transcription capabilities all in one. ***NOTE: A Nuance approved noise-canceling headset microphone is included in the purchase.
Mac users who want to be more productive and use their voice to command their computer; ideal for writers and bloggers, creative professionals, high school and college students, journalists, business people, home users, educators, and many others. Also great for users who have a need for powerful, accurate transcription capabilities from any single speaker audio source.
Accuracy and Speed
Up to 99% accurate and faster than typing – make fewer edits and get more done.
Flexible Voice Commands
With just your voice, create and edit documents in Apple Pages 4.3, compose and manage email in Gmail, surf and search the Web and update your Facebook and Twitter status, to get things done quickly. Smart Format Rules automatically adapt to how you want abbreviations, numbers and more to appear, so you don’t have to correct it every time. Easily create custom word lists and macros for frequently used text, giving you the ﬂexibility to customize Dragon Dictate for the way you work.
New in Version 4: Powerful transcription. More control. More accurate. Faster.
- Now accurately transcribe an audio ﬁle of any single speaker’s voice from podcasts or pre-recorded audio ﬁles.
- Now multiple transcription sources allowed within a profile so one user can easily work with different recordings.
- Now Full Text Control for creating emails in Gmail.
- Now voice control your Gmail inbox within Safari and Firefox.
- Now you can mix talking and typing with Full Text Control in Apple Pages 4.3.
- Now higher performance and faster editing with pure 64-bit application and improved memory management capabilities.
- Improved accuracy over version 3.x, with optimization for latest speech recognition technology.
Full transcription capabilities to easily transcribe your voice memos from a smartphone or portable voice recorder into text. Accurately transcribe an audio ﬁle of any single speaker’s voice from podcasts or pre-recorded audio ﬁles.
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz or faster processor - Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 recommended
- Free hard disk space: 3GB
- Supported operating systems: OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3) or OS X Mavericks (10.9)
- RAM: 4GB, 8GB+ recommended
- A DVD-ROM drive for installation
- A Nuance-approved noise-canceling headset microphone for Mac (included)
- An Internet connection is required for automatic product activation (a quick anonymous process).
Platform: Mac Disc | Edition: Standard
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The software does a pretty good job of following my voice and putting words on the screen. The problem starts any time the user wants to make a change. For example, if a user wants to add a couple of words in the middle of a sentence in a previous paragraph, placing the cursor there and then dictating might get correct words but incorrect placement or punctuation.
- I have had instances where the inserted word wasn't placed where the cursor was, but one or two words away.
- Often Dragon adds an extra space or two before the inserted word and does not add a space after the inserted word.
- If an insertion is not a full sentence, then sometimes Dragon will capitalize the first word as though it were a full sentence.
- When inserting a full sentence, Dragon might not capitalize the first letter of the inserted sentence.
- It doesn't do new paragraphs correctly. If I put in a carriage return by hand and put the cursor on a new line, Dragon will insert two spaces before the first character on the line. Also, sometimes it will not capitalize the first word of that sentence.
- Dragon will not capitalize the first word of each line in a list. Oddly, if a previous line in a list ends in a period then it will capitalize the first word of the next line.
And so it goes. This becomes irritating very quickly because when the user makes corrections each correction requires further correction. You might find that this process is still faster than typing if you are a slow typist like me.
Some readers may think that they will get used to these idiosyncrasies. Unfortunately the idiosyncrasies are different for each particular Mac program and are a problem even in Dragon's own built-in text editor.
You might wonder how Dragon could release a product with such obvious programming errors. It is easy to say that this software is not yet ready for sale and that the bugs need to be worked out. However, this is Dragon's fourth release since 2010. If you wish to reward Nuance for its lackadaisical approach to writing software code, then please plunk down your $200.
------ Update on July 7, 2014 ------
Now that I've had this for a few months I wanted everyone to know that Nuance has not updated the software or corrected any of the problems listed above and by many other customers. I guess that Nuance will make us wait until the next version comes out, then charge $200 for that one as well. BTW, Nuance no longer does reduced pricing for upgrades.
------ Update on October 17, 2014 ------
Nuance did release a software update (Dragon 4.0.5) on October 11, 2014. Buyers should note that Dragon 4.0.5 is not compatible with OS X Yosemite that Apple released on October 16, 2014. Users report that Dragon Dictate 4.0.5 simply won't work with Yosemite at all and will actually crash OS X. Crashing OS X is no small feat. Nuance confirms in its own user forums that Dragon 4 is not compatible with Yosemite.
If users upgrade to OS X Yosemite (and 12% have in the first 24 hours after release) then DO NOT update to Dragon Dictate 4.0.5, and DO NOT buy the product for download.
OS X Yosemite has been available for months so developers could do testing. Why is Nuance so unable to write software code that works properly?
There are no reports yet whether OS X Mavericks with Dragon Dictate 4.0.5 fixes any of the problems mentioned in this review above. Nuance says that the software update was to fix a compatibility problem with Safari.
I absolutely hated the last version... So far I am very pleased with the changes in usability and reliability of this version. If you contact Nuance directly if you are upgrading you may be able to get an upgrade for $99.
Update: 4/3/14... Some of the bugs that plagued version 3.0 seem to have returned... I don't get as many fatal crashes but after reading some responses I'm going to try using pages and numbers today and see if I get better results. Stay tuned for an update
Update: 6/20/14... Sometimes the program randomly crashes when I use the mail application... Don't know why but it's pretty annoying. Still better than version 3.0 but hoping they fix this issue soon.
Update: 7/2/14... The random errors that shut down the program in the mail application I've gotten worse... I can't stand it anymore when the program works is better than the previous version but the constant errors are becoming very frustrating. I'm going to reduce this from a four star review to a two star review. And I do have version 4.02 installed
Update: 8/1/14: started a new voice file and it seemed to fix a lot of my issues.
Update: 3/4/15: still buggy do not buy unless you absolutely have to.
I was aware that the Mac version was supposed to be "less mature" than the Windows version, but was not prepared for my experience with the product which is that its not "less mature", its totally unusable. After installing and training it, it worked well for a couple of hours. The next day, and on all subsequent days, its accuracy was much less than it had been on the first day, and much lower than the accuracy of the Windows version with the same type of training. Even worse, it hangs, so that the microphone goes off and can't be restarted without restarting the program. This happens regularly, about every 15 minutes. This is on a fast Macbook running Yosemite.
In my opinion, this product verges on the fraudulent. It is very annoying that after spending $150 and a couple of hours trying to get the thing to work I will have no use from it at all, and that I can't get my money back. Don't buy it.