Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 83 reviews
on July 3, 2015
Well, I'm a huge JCVD fan. I have been since I was six, and I am thirty-one now. He is not the star of this movie. But the role he plays was necessary. Necessary for the movie, necessary for his career. I never quite thought of it myself, but it was indeed genius. Hong (the main character's screen name) did a good job of trying to keep up with Van Damme's, historically, unmatchable fighting presence and technique. Hong looked strong, but lethal all at the same time. His strict emotionless character was believable, and not over dramatized. The other actors, though not famous, played their roles well, and seemed comfortable portraying the characters that they were assigned to portray. The plot was sort of re-used, and the dialogue and script was mostly simple sentences, but again the main villain, Mr. V was a great fit for his part, right down to the sound of his voice, and delivered his lines well, not having much to work with. Everything was just right for an action flick. Not too complicated, great action scenes, and the picture was good too. A dirty, vintage look that helped make this B grade film fit into an A grade category.
on August 28, 2014
Bias Alert!!! I greatly appreciate action films and my secondary bias is I have over 300 martial arts movies. So I might be rating this movie a little high unless you love action films also. I am not a fan of Jean-Claude Van Damme and I don't know where this guy Cung Le came from so I have no love for the stars of this film. By now everyone should know that you do not see Van Damme films for the acting and rarely for the storyline. So now that I have given you all the negatives, let me tell you why I gave this 4 stars. First, this is the exception to the no storyline rule. This is a film about redemption and making amends for past mistakes. Second, the fight scenes are very well done, especially if you appreciate hand to hand combat. There are no magic film fights here and no flying on strings. Add to that decent acting and you can enjoy some hard hitting action.
on April 13, 2014
I can honestly say that when these legendary martial arts actors such as Van Damme and Seagal have to start using stunt doubles more and introduce another martial artists who are younger, then its time to try another role. Now that being said. Van Damme did okay with being a mentor and teacher to Cung Le and made for a better story since he was not the lead actor in this one. Cung Le is a good martial artist but not as a fast as Jet Li or Donnie Yen. Those guys kick ass fast. But this movie also has other supporting actors to keep the story at least on an even level to maintain my interest. Its a good "B" type action movie for the night when all the other excellent choices were taken.
on October 28, 2015
Never cared for Jean-Claude Van Damme's movies in his younger years but I've seen few of his movies past few years and he creates very interesting character. He's no longer just a martial arts actor. Great character actor. Especially like his part as a supporting role. Interesting story.
on July 8, 2014
Has some good fight scenes, but is overall rather dull and depressing.
on November 10, 2015
Well written plot with unexpected surprises. Full of action st a good pace. Language was rather disappointing. An excellent screen writer can portray a street gangster life style with out so much profanity. Thus only 4 stars.
on February 11, 2013
This film was definently inspired by Yojimbo! However the story was told in away that felt kind of like a train wreck. It's a shame
because the fights are fun and we get another good performance by mister Damme who only has a few scenes in this film. If the story was alot easier to follow then I would have given this 4 stars. But I have seen alot worse straight to video fight films. So watch it if you love Cung Le or if its on for free.
on July 2, 2015
Boring . . . plot is mediocre. Van Damme was there only for film promo, not actually the main character. Action sequence was pretty lame. I doze off intermittently as my wife continue to watch till the end. Don't waste your time.
on October 22, 2016
This is a good martial arts beat them up type of movie. It brings a story line home to neighborhoods in your area.
on September 13, 2015
JCVD has only a few brief scenes as the elder teacher... Average martial arts at best.... OK action and a hint/ tease at romantic interest. If you want to kill some time not all bad