Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium, Version 12, Student and Teacher Only Edition, English (Old Version), Nuance-Approved Noise-Canceling Headset/Microphone Included
- Improved Accuracy: Dragon 12 delivers up to a 20% improvement in out-of-box accuracy compared to Dragon 11.
- If you use Dragon on a computer with multi-core processors and more than 4 GB of RAM, Dragon 12 automatically selects the Best Match V speech model for you when you create your user profile in order to deliver faster performance
- Better performance: Dragon 12 boosts performance by delivering easier correction and editing options, and giving you more control over your command preferences, letting you get things done faster than ever before.
- Smart Format Rules: Dragon now reaches out to you to adapt upon detecting your format corrections - abbreviations, numbers, and more - so your dictated text looks the way you want it to every time
- More Natural Text-to-Speech Voice: Dragon 12?s natural-sounding Text-To-Speech reads editable text-with fast-forward, rewind and speed and volume control-for easy proofing and multi-tasking
There is a newer version of this item:
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 Premium speech recognition software lets you interact with your PC by voice. Launches applications, selects menu items, opens and closes files, or switches from one window to another. Dictate documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Compose and send email. Search the Web or your desktop. Post to Facebook and Twitter. Navigate and control your PC and applications. Record notes.
From the Manufacturer
Dragon Sidebar puts important voice commands and tips in one convenient desktop location
superior comfort and mobility
Use your compatible iOS or Android device as a wireless microphone
Control Your Digital World by Voice
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 Premium speech recognition software ignites new levels of personal productivity and convenience by enabling you to interact with your PC by voice. Dictate or modify documents, spreadsheets and presentations, manage e-mail, search the web, post to Facebook and Twitter, and more. Launch applications, select menu items, save files, and switch windows using simple voice commands or create your own custom commands to insert boilerplate text and/or graphics. Even dictate notes into a digital voice recorder or a compatible iOS device and Dragon will later transcribe the recorded files into text on your PC. Dragon 12 Premium is your key to less stress and more success at home, school, work, or wherever life takes you.
Key New Features
- Natural-sounding text-to-speech reads back editable text for easy proofing or multitasking.
- Smart Format Rules allow Dragon to adapt by detecting your format corrections - abbreviations, numbers, and more - so your dictated text looks the way you want it every time.
- An interactive tutorial provides simulations to enable you to learn and practice good dictation, correction, and editing habits.
- Use Dragon with two of the most popular web-based e-mail applications - Gmail and Hotmail - with Full Text Control and commands for the most frequent actions.
- Use a Bluetooth wireless headset for superior comfort and mobility.
- Use your iPhone, iPod touch (4th gen), iPad or your compatible Android device as a remote microphone.
- Dragon 12 delivers up to a 20% improvement in out-of-box accuracy compared to Dragon 11.
- If you use Dragon on a computer with multi-core processors and more than 4 GB of RAM, Dragon 12 automatically selects the BestMatch V speech model for you when you create your user profile in order to deliver faster performance.
- Dragon 12 boosts performance by delivering easier correction and editing options, and giving you more control over your command preferences.
Ignite Productivity with Fast, Accurate Dictation
Say words and watch them appear on your computer screen — three times faster than typing — with up to 99% recognition accuracy right out of the box. Correcting or revising your dictated text is fast and simple, too. Natural-sounding Text-to-Speech reads editable text for easy proofing or multi-tasking. Dragon adapts to your voice and the words you use to deliver better recognition results over time. You can even personalize Dragon with your own custom vocabulary of acronyms, proper names and other unique phrases that you frequently use. Dragon can even adapt its format rules by detecting your format corrections – abbreviations, numbers, and more so your dictated text looks the way you want it to every time.
Ignite Proficiency and Ease of Use, Right Out of the Box
Thanks to the new interactive tutorial’s simulations, you can learn and practice good dictation, correction and editing habits so that you can create text efficiently within just a few minutes. The Dragon Help system contains a Tip of the Day window and other easy ways for you to quickly learn what interests you. The Dragon Sidebar puts important voice commands and tips in one convenient desktop location. And on-screen help means information is always available when you need it.
Ignite Freedom and Comfort at Your PC
Say "goodbye" to repetitive stress injuries. Use your PC in a comfortable, ergonomic way without being tied to your keyboard and mouse. Open applications or folders, select menu items, click or move the mouse, press keys, switch from one window to another and more using simple voice commands. Use your Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod touch (4th gen) or your Android device as a wireless microphone over Wi-Fi for optimal convenience. Wideband Bluetooth support delivers outstanding wireless performance with no training required.
Ignite Convenience by Using Your Favorite Applications
In addition to DragonPad, the built-in text editor, you can use Dragon 12 Home with many of your favorite Windows applications.
- Dictate documents in Microsoft Word, Corel WordPerfect, or OpenOffice Writer.
- Send e-mail in Microsoft Outlook or Windows LiveMail.
- Work with spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel.
- Create presentation text in Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Search the web using Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome.
- Post to Facebook or Twitter.
Dragon 12 Home even enhances the experience of using your voice with two of the most popular web-based email applications — Gmail and Hotmail — offering Full Text Control and commands for the most frequent actions in Internet Explorer 9, Mozilla Firefox 10 or higher, and Google Chrome 16 or higher.
Ignite Efficiency with Voice-Driven Multitasking
Dragon Voice Shortcuts collapse common multi-step tasks into direct voice commands you can use at any time, no matter which applications are currently active. For example, say: "Send email to John Smith and Raphael Sanchez" or "Search maps for financial advisors in Boston, Massachusetts" or "search Google for 87 divided by 12" and Dragon makes it happen. You can also say "open top site for Facebook" and Dragon automatically opens the top-ranked page for these keywords. You can even use voice commands to create e-mails, schedule tasks and appointments, and search your computer faster than ever before.
Ignite Mobility for Productivity On-the-Go
A free Dragon Recorder app lets you record high-quality audio files using your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch (4th gen). For more advanced recording functionality, dictate into a Nuance-approved digital voice recorder, and then have Dragon transcribe the audio files into text when you return to your PC. These mobile recording capabilities enable you to capture thoughts while they’re still fresh in your mind to produce detailed, high-quality reports, papers, proposals, meeting minutes, and more.
- Recommended: 2.2 GHz Intel dual core or equivalent AMD processor
- Minimum: 1 GHz Intel Pentium or equivalent AMD processor or 1.66 GHz Intel Atom processor
NOTE: Faster processors yield faster performance. SSE2 instruction set is required.
- Recommended: 2 MB L2 cache
- Minimum: 512 KB L2 cache
Free Hard Disk Space
- 3.2 GB
- 4 GB for localized non-English versions
Supported Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows 7 and higher, 32-bit and 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista SP2, 32-bit and 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP SP3, 32-bit only
- Windows Server 2008 SP2 and R2, 32-bit and 64-bit
- Recommended: 2 GB for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 32-bit; 4 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 64-bit
- Minimum:1 GB for Windows XP and Windows Vista; 2 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or higher for online help
- Sound card supporting 16-bit recording
- DVD-ROM drive for installation
- Nuance-approved noise-canceling headset microphone (included in purchase)
NOTE: An Internet connection is required for automatic product activation (a quick, anonymous process). This edition of Dragon does not support dictation directly into Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems. For EMR support, please use Dragon Medical Edition.
Important Notice Before Purchasing Education Version: Proof of academic status required to install product. Product for academic purposes only. You will be required to validate your educational status. Visit www.nuance.com/educationvalidation for more information.
Use Dragon with Gmail and Hotmail with Full Text Control and commands for the most frequent actions (view larger).
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Using the serial number I was provided, I installed the software without issue. Upon first run, you are required to "activate" and "register" the product. I clicked the "activate now" button to do so, and then received an error message and was informed via a pop-up box that the serial number I entered belonged to a different version of Dragon, Dragon Premium 11 Student Teacher Edition to be exact and the product could not be activated.
I immediately contacted Nuance at their technical support line to obtain assistance, to be greeted with quite a long wait to speak to a human. After finally reaching a human named "Andie" and providing all the necessary information, I was directed to contact "Identit-E" via their online chat to immediately receive the correct serial number for my product. I was quite irritated that the manufacturer themselves could not assist me with their own product, but since they outsource the registration and validation process to a third party, issues such as these must be handled by "Identit-E". I asked Nuance for a phone number to "Identit-E" but was told that the only way to communicate with them was via online chat or email.
I subsequently contacted "Identit-E" via their online chat, informing them verbatim of the situation and what Nuance had told me, furthermore expecting to receive a new serial number as was promised by Nuance. Upon speaking with a CSR named "Beth Gerber" through online chat at "Identit-E", I was informed: "....I have escalated your code with my supervisor. He is the only one who is able to get the correct code for your product. Either he, or myself will be able to send you the information tomorrow as he is already gone for the day".... - and needless to say I was quite irate. Bottom line, I was left to be stuck in technical support #$%! until the supervisor did whatever supposedly they could only do come tomorrow, and there's apparently only one single person who can assist me. What complete and total crust!
There are a few points to note here... 1) "Identit-E" can only be reached via online chat and/or e-mail. It should be noted that their "chat" is up and down in terms of availability so its a crap shoot (in my experience); 2) How Nuance can contract with a 3rd party provider for the servicing of their activations and/or registrations with a Company such as "Identit-E" who does not have or maintain a supervisor available during all business hours of availability since their CR's are powerless is beyond me... as if you are Nuance's customer you are at the mercy of "Identit-E" if you have nay problems with registration and activation; and 3) How sad is it that Nuance has ZERO control over issues with their own product that THEY manufactured... they simply pawn issues such as these off to the 3rd party contractor; I mean seriously!?!
So ultimately it does not matter to either Nuance and/or "Identit-E" that I needed this up and running by tomorrow, that this software is not cheap and the fact that contact during normal business hours should have yielded a simple resolution (the proper code) which I shouldn't have to wait additional time for considering I proved my eligibility for the product fair and square, but am being inconvenienced for an issue that is their own fault combined between the two companies. This is my first time doing business with Nuance and with their partnership with "Identit-E" and I can tell you that thus far its not leaving a hint of a positive taste in my mouth.
At this rate, I do plan to come back and post a review on the software itself and a follow up as to how this whole serial number issue is sorted out, but wanted to post this for others to be aware of what can happen if and when things go terribly wrong.
That's when I had the misfortune of contacting "Benjamin" in customer service. He is semi-literate in English and apparently located somewhere in India. He asked for all my order data from Amazon (order number, etc.). He even listened to the loud clicking of the disk in the drive, and agreed it sounded like there was clearly something wrong with the disk.
Then some additional hoops to jump through:
1. E-mail him screenshots of the Windows Explorer interface to prove that my computer can't fully read all the files on the warped disk.
2. E-mail him digital photographs of the disk itself (top and edge) to prove that I have an authentic disk and prove that it is warped. Okay, this was a strange request, but using my digital camera not too much of a problem if it would have satisfied Nuance and gotten me on the road to receiving a new disk. Were these thoughts ever naive.
3. Ben replies. He now wants "the POP proof of purchased of the Dragon 12 that came from Amazon." Huh? What exactly does "POP proof of purchased" mean, and why wasn't it requested during the original phone call? I send him a screen shot of my order record from my Amazon account and the scanned barcode label from the box. (Maybe the latter is what he meant by "proof of purchased" [sic]?)
4. Ben replies again. This time he wants the "email from amazon indicated the the payment you made from them if there is please attached it with this email as you reply." LOL. This reads like work from one of my grade-F students. Again, if this is what was required, why wasn't it clearly requested in the original phone call?
I forwarded him the original invoice e-mail. I made a little wager with myself that this would magically prove insufficient as well. Sure enough, it did.
5. "Sorry it's me again, as i can see in your screenshot [sic] of the email you got from amazon one last favor, can you please take a screenshot also of that the same email but open the VIEW INVOICE option."
Take a screenshot of an e-mail he already has right in front of him and at the same time click some link. Boy, that sure makes sense.
Sorry, but I'm now done with this: from the bizarre request for photographs of the defective disk, to one illiterate and cryptic request after the other. Anyway, Ben made clear on the original call (after we had spent about 5 minutes entering my Amazon order information into his system) that the system screenshots showing the disk as unreadable along with the disk photos would be sufficient. Now there's another new and nebulous obstacle course to run every day. I am a very busy college instructor who doesn't have time for this.
If I don't receive a response from this review within a week from a literate adult at Nuance, I will immediately initiate a chargeback on my credit card and look at other options, particularly Windows Speech Recognition. Not only is it free, but it's been reported to be a decent program with even more improvements expected on the forthcoming Windows 8.
I've been a solid Dragon customer since version 9, but after this experience I'm done with Nuance.
So, I spent 80 bucks for a program that I am unable to use for the only program I bought it to use with! I needed it to help with writing research papers and other homework assignments for my university classes. Instead I am spending extra time, energy, and emotion trying to get the program to do what I paid for it to do! Argh!! Their website has no support for issues with use of Windows 8.x or Office. I am disgusted. I get emails almost daily from them to upgrade but no response to my inquiry on making their program functional on my system. Not cool Dragon. At least they don't call anymore.