Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 119 reviews
on March 2, 2014
Here's the deal. I bought this game for the story. Following a character from year one to year ~30? Very compelling. But I stayed for the gameplay. I struggled a bit at first but at one point it just clicked. I can train my character to higher levels, and use the money gained from winning battles to get more powerful equipment which then makes my character even stronger? It sounds simple. But it is so addictive. I think it's the video game equivalent of chain smoking cigarettes. It helps that the narrative is very compelling, I don't want to spoil it. But the main drive of the game is the very satisfying formula of explore, get your ass handed to you, grind, buy new equipment, smack down righteous fury on the enemies that had previously bested you, and repeat. I'm so glad I bought this game.

One thing to note is that I felt an easy attachment to every party member. They all felt worth-while. It actually was an issue late-game when I simply wanted to have all of them in my battle line-up at once, but you can only have four in battle at a time (though you can switch out mid-battle).

To those who are put off by the prospect of monster-catching: it is a very painless part of the game. It is mostly helpful for portions where you are without human party members. Experience is gained if they are in your general party (they don't have to be in the battle line-up). If you were worried like I was that the monster raising would require a lot of micro-management, rest easy. It's as simple as can be.

I hope you give this game a chance. It has turned me on to the Dragon Quest series, and I think it could very well do the same for you.
on March 9, 2017
I've rented this game before, so I don't even need the game to arrive before I say how much I love it.

I rented this through Game Fly years ago, because, like Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, the marriage system interested me. I don't know what it is about games with player families that always catches my eye (It's just unique, I guess. So few games do it.), but I gave this game a shot.

I absolutely loved it. I've since played Dragon Quest IV and a little bit of Dragon Quest VII (I think it was 7, I actually can't remember), but neither had the impact 5 did. It's such an incredible story and I love how much it focused on the entirety of the hero's (your) life. It's filled with tragedy and the combat system is anything but terrible. You can tell they really found what worked in the series and kept it. If you haven't played Dragon Quest before, you might not understand some of the spells, but it's not hard to figure out and I believe localization has made some spells much easier to understand (like Zoom, which I believe had a totally different name, but I may be wrong... anyway, it's a teleport spell, basically).

This game is actually a remake of the SNES game Dragon Quest V. It adds a new bride (which for some reason I have picked TWICE now, despite her being kind of a-) and possibly more content that I have not memorized. The game is a lot of fun and I am always so pleased when a story hooks me as deeply as this game has. No offense to the other Dragon Quest games, but not one has gained my interest the way 5 has and I doubt they ever will.

That being said, 4 was pretty engaging and 7 wasn't a slouch, either. I guess it's just hard for me to look forward (or back) after having such an incredible experience with this game.

User mileage varies, but I hope anyone who is interested in the game gives it a shot. It may be from a last-generation handheld, but I passed up buying another 3DS game this month because I loved it so much. That should give you an idea of how good it is.
on September 18, 2016
The game is awesome. I especially like how you can recruit monsters to be on your team and you'll end up having them with you for most of the time. A very good story (as far as Dragon Quest games go) where it follows the hero on a path from a little kid to an adult, to getting married and being a dad himself. Most Dragon Quest fans rate part 5 at or near the top of their favorite DQ games, including me.
on October 1, 2012
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride is a remake from an old SNES game that was never released for Americans. It is worth the wait if you like the older structure that RPG's used to have.
The graphics are gorgeous, with an awesome mix of 2D and 3D. the sprites are adorable, and the towns are intracate in their design. No real complaints about the graphics.
The Sound is a mix of both old and new. The music is quite new sounding, with a full orchestra playing many of the more grand tunes. The tunes aren't particularly memorable, but they are quite nice to listen to. The sound effects are a lot more old school, sounding almost 8 bit at points. However, this enhances the nostalgic presentation of the game, rather than detract from its quality.
The story is, basically, a typical old school RPG. You are the main hero, chosen by destiny (well, in this case, you aren't. You're searching for the hero.) to defeat an evil demon lord person. However, this game starts out in the character's childhood. You meet many friends and people as you travel with your father Pankraz. The personal element makes the story much more enjoyable than it ought to be.
The gameplay holds very little surprises. Random encounters, exploring towns and dungeons, grinding for gold, leveling up and more await you. If you hate this kind of RPG, the game will do nothing to change your mind. But if you love it, this game is right up your alley. A random luck based monster catching system helps to add some customization to the otherwise linear character/ party progression. Addiitonally, there are some side tasks, like finding Mini Medals for great rewards, gambling at some casinos, playing a life size board game and more!
The game is quite enjoyable as long as you like the older presentation style. I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes games like Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Thanks for reading!
on March 29, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Let me give you the rundown.

Story-I thought this was every bit as epic as Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King and Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies. While the main plot is not as long as VIII and IX, the time skips after certain parts of the game were amazing.

Characters-The characters may not be as colorful as in Dragon Quest VIII, but they're really great in my opinion. My favorite characters so far are the Hero, Saber (one of the Sabrecat's default names), the boy (default name Parry), the girl (default name Madason) and Bianca. The monster system can be tedious, but some like the Orc King, Archdemon and Slime Knight are really good for the endgame.

Would've been nice if Pankraz and Harry were permanently playable in this version of the game, but that really would've ruined the canon story. Those two would've been outclassed by the Hero, the Boy and the Girl, anyway. It was really interesting how later on you get to choose Bianca, Debora or Nera as your third permanent party member, considering the hero gets to marry one of them at some point.

Nothing wrong with the marriage system, it was just unique. And personally, I think Nera and Debora are more useful than Bianca, but Bianca has the Safe Passage spell, so she's not that bad as a playable character and is more useful than Debora in that way. Just depends if the player wants a pure fighter, a pure mage or a hybrid.

Graphics-For 2D graphics, they were really pretty in my mind. Not as bright as Dragon Quest VIII's or Dragon Quest IX's, but still good.
on March 30, 2017
This game rocks!
on April 6, 2017
I like it
on March 16, 2017
I absolutely love this game.
on March 9, 2009
Fun:
+ Addictive monster recruiting - The expansive monster recruiting system gives the game a unique feel because you can play the game using dozens of different characters.
+ Classic DQ charm - I got a chuckle at the enemy designs, and some of the humorous actions they take, like staring off into space. When your characters get confused, there are hilarious descriptions of what they do.
+ Epic story - It has mystery and talk of legendary heroes. Kept me mildly curious.

Frustrating:
- Cumbersome inventory system - It's difficult to move items between characters
- Repetitive quest structure - The game follows a pattern of visiting a new town, then going to a dungeon to get something for someone in that town.
- Repetitive battles - Most battles just require you to repeatedly press the fight button, because enemies don't have many resistances or specific weaknesses.
- Grinding - I waltzed into the second dungeon without upgrading my weapons and got beaten down instantly. You also lose 1/2 your gold on dying, so that set me back as well. After some grinding and buying shiny new weapons, the dungeon was fine. But you need to do a lot of fighting to keep your level and equipment on pace.
- Slow scrolling text - There is no way to show dialog 1 speech bubble at a time. It slows down the game as you wait for the letters to appear.

Most of the cons are minor gripes which are not as noticeable in the grand scheme of the game. The game is a must buy for RPG fans. For people who are unsure, I recommend Dragon Quest 8 for the PS2 instead. DQ8 is the pinnacle of classic RPGs. It has stunning 3D cell shaded graphics, flawless voice acting, a full orchestral soundtrack, deeper character leveling and better monster recruiting. It has a terrific story with a memorable villain and easily lasts 80 hours of gameplay.
on June 6, 2016
This is a Japanese legendary RPG. My first experience of DQ5 was in SNES. But DS is much better than SNES in graphics, musics and game systems.
Especially, its great musics composed by Koichi Sugiyama have given me special impressions.
I love it very much! So you must enjoy it in Nintendo DS.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.