Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on March 9, 2017
I've rented this game before, so I don't even need the game to arrive before I say how much I love it.

I rented this through Game Fly years ago, because, like Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, the marriage system interested me. I don't know what it is about games with player families that always catches my eye (It's just unique, I guess. So few games do it.), but I gave this game a shot.

I absolutely loved it. I've since played Dragon Quest IV and a little bit of Dragon Quest VII (I think it was 7, I actually can't remember), but neither had the impact 5 did. It's such an incredible story and I love how much it focused on the entirety of the hero's (your) life. It's filled with tragedy and the combat system is anything but terrible. You can tell they really found what worked in the series and kept it. If you haven't played Dragon Quest before, you might not understand some of the spells, but it's not hard to figure out and I believe localization has made some spells much easier to understand (like Zoom, which I believe had a totally different name, but I may be wrong... anyway, it's a teleport spell, basically).

This game is actually a remake of the SNES game Dragon Quest V. It adds a new bride (which for some reason I have picked TWICE now, despite her being kind of a-) and possibly more content that I have not memorized. The game is a lot of fun and I am always so pleased when a story hooks me as deeply as this game has. No offense to the other Dragon Quest games, but not one has gained my interest the way 5 has and I doubt they ever will.

That being said, 4 was pretty engaging and 7 wasn't a slouch, either. I guess it's just hard for me to look forward (or back) after having such an incredible experience with this game.

User mileage varies, but I hope anyone who is interested in the game gives it a shot. It may be from a last-generation handheld, but I passed up buying another 3DS game this month because I loved it so much. That should give you an idea of how good it is.
on September 18, 2016
The game is awesome. I especially like how you can recruit monsters to be on your team and you'll end up having them with you for most of the time. A very good story (as far as Dragon Quest games go) where it follows the hero on a path from a little kid to an adult, to getting married and being a dad himself. Most Dragon Quest fans rate part 5 at or near the top of their favorite DQ games, including me.
Remember when RPG's were fun? You'd get a hero or a band of heroes, and you'd run about the world killing everything that got in your way? Remember when you didn't have some angsty-emo-teen as a main character that wielded a sword the size of a box truck? Well, Square-Enix smartened up for a change and remade several classic RPG's from the NES and SNES days. Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest IV and this title in question: Dragon Quest V. Unfortunately I never learned Japanese or got my hands on a translated ROM version of the original installment, so I can't compare how it is now to how it was. But I can tell you that this version is outstanding!

Story, music, characters, things to do... This game seems to deliver on all fronts! The fact that you can recruit monsters to fight on your party adds a bit of randomness, which is nice. You can change up your party many times and get a slightly different feel for combat each time. One thing I noticed is a distinct sense of humor here: It feels rather Japanese, which is nice. To me, that means they probably kept the translation as close to the original as possible. I could be wrong, but that's just an impression I got.
on July 8, 2013
I haven't played many of the Dragon Quest games. I purchased this game wanting some more RPGs for my Nintendo DS. I am definitely glad I bought this.

-Story that starts out as a child and progresses with the player (the player doesn't age over time, but at certain times during the story he gets older).
-Monster recruitment! Monsters can be recruited into the party, bringing their strengths (and weaknesses) to the party.
-Lots of different equipment, items, and skills to utilize and learn.
-Linear storyline where the player will travel in sequence from one place to the next.
-Turn based combat, monsters are visual on the bottom screen and the player is on the top. The visuals are good, but nothing revolutionary. It is a classic 16 bit style (ala Super Nintendo era).
-A good throwback, Japanese style RPG.

Overall, I'd rate this game a 4/5 for combat, story and fun. Anyone looking for a good or classic RPG should pick this one up.
on October 1, 2012
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride is a remake from an old SNES game that was never released for Americans. It is worth the wait if you like the older structure that RPG's used to have.
The graphics are gorgeous, with an awesome mix of 2D and 3D. the sprites are adorable, and the towns are intracate in their design. No real complaints about the graphics.
The Sound is a mix of both old and new. The music is quite new sounding, with a full orchestra playing many of the more grand tunes. The tunes aren't particularly memorable, but they are quite nice to listen to. The sound effects are a lot more old school, sounding almost 8 bit at points. However, this enhances the nostalgic presentation of the game, rather than detract from its quality.
The story is, basically, a typical old school RPG. You are the main hero, chosen by destiny (well, in this case, you aren't. You're searching for the hero.) to defeat an evil demon lord person. However, this game starts out in the character's childhood. You meet many friends and people as you travel with your father Pankraz. The personal element makes the story much more enjoyable than it ought to be.
The gameplay holds very little surprises. Random encounters, exploring towns and dungeons, grinding for gold, leveling up and more await you. If you hate this kind of RPG, the game will do nothing to change your mind. But if you love it, this game is right up your alley. A random luck based monster catching system helps to add some customization to the otherwise linear character/ party progression. Addiitonally, there are some side tasks, like finding Mini Medals for great rewards, gambling at some casinos, playing a life size board game and more!
The game is quite enjoyable as long as you like the older presentation style. I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes games like Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Thanks for reading!
on June 9, 2017
It's a bit linear at first but gets interesting the more you go. It's a nice game for the DS, and it keeps you busy. I like the fact you can take monsters with you as party members.
on January 26, 2018
In all Dragon Quest series, I like Dragon Quest V most.

The DS version is so impressive, I played for years, walkthrough the stories again and again.

Although now the Dragon Quest XI comes out, I think the Dragon Quest V is still the best.
on June 7, 2017
It's a good game, really consistent with the other DQ ds games. It flows well, but it would be fun to see an alternate story path if you beat a boss that you are supposed to lose to.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 16, 2014
Works just great. Came in a plastic DS game display case, like the ones you would see in GameStop. It was just the game, no manuals or box. The DS game was in excellent shape.

If you're a fan of Dragon Quest games for the DS, then you know the jist of the game play. It has a sort of "pet system" where you train monsters to fight in your party. It kind of reminds me of Pokemon, but you have stable "people" in your party as well.

I personally don't think it's as fun as, say, DQ4 or DQ6 for the DS, but it's fun nonetheless.
on March 31, 2009
I played Dragonquest 8 when it first came out and I had so much fun with it, played it for hours, leveling up but mostly exploring the huge world. I loved the music and story of the game. Simple and fun. I decided to get another DQ experience. I didn't get 4 because of the chapters. I have been playing this game for a few weeks now and even though my expectations were too high, for a portable DQ game, this is wonderful. I know its impossible to replicate something like DQ8 for a ds game but for a ds game, this is the best. The same wonderful music and gameplay. So if you love rpgs, and dragon quest, I reccomend buying this. I don't really care about the graphics, what matters is the gameplay and this game gives me just that.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.