Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 82 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 367 reviews
on February 22, 2005
Dragon Rider is the story of Firedrake, a beautiful silver dragon who embarks on a journey, along with his smarmy friend Sorrell (who is a furry creature called a brownie), to find the Rim Of Heaven, which is a place that dragons once thrived in. He sets out on his journey because humans are moving into the land that he calls home and he must find the Rim Of Heaven before it is too late for his fellow dragons. Along his way he befriends Ben, a young human boy who is apparently homeless and in need of some friends. I read this book because I am on hiatus from Harry Potter, The Bartimeus Trilogy and a few other young adult fantasy selections that I love. While the book has many fun elements that keep the reader moving on, I couldn't help but feel like something was missing. Maybe it was the fact that the book was supposed to be set in this modern day and age that I didn't really enjoy, or the fact that several moments in the story felt kind of dull. I just couldn't FULLY get into this book like I could with several other fantasy novels I have read recently. The book seems much more suited for a younger audience and I could definetly see smaller children enjoying this book on there own, or even having there parents read from it to them (even though the book is pretty big and would probably take a long, long time for a parent to read to there child during bedtime alone). I recently purchased Cornelia Funke's other novel, INKHEART and am going to give that book a shot soon. This book was decent and kept me entertained mainly through the entire book, so I would recommend it.
on June 11, 2015
My 6 year old twins enjoyed the entire book (I read it to them). It was complex enough to be interesting but simple enough for them to understand every bit of it and remember it from night to night. Longest book we've read yet. A complete pleasure.
on February 4, 2016
The recipient of this book, a second grader, was spellbound during her reading of this book. She finished it in a few days.
on February 10, 2015
I have read this book and I like it. I checked it out at the library, then I wanted my own copy. I recommend checking out a book at the library, before buying it, to see if you like it. It may also be because of me, loving dragons.
It's a childrens book, so it's different when read it at a different age. If you like fantasy, some adventure, and even a mystery. I recommend this book for you. The copy I bought was in good condition for a used book, I ordered a hard copy.
on April 11, 2015
Very good read for middle schoolers although I (age 23) enjoied it as well! This book is about friendly dragons and other mythical creatures. They race a mechanical dragon, who wants to eat the real dragons, to a safe valley away from mankind which is on the other end of the earth! If I were to give this a rating like movies have I would rate it PG for some mild name-calling.
on August 31, 2017
Loved this book! A Facebook friend read it and I just had to see what she loved. Now I see! Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon April 12, 2005
I thoroughly enjoy reading children's novels, and am constantly amazed at what truly delightful and wondrous tales Cornelia Funke creates. She gained international success with the English publication of "The Thief Lord" and continued to spin her magic with the spellbinding "Inkheart". Having enjoyed these two forays into the mythical world of children, I was looking forward to reading "Dragon Rider" and was not disappointed.

"Dragon Rider" has a more mythical setting, in the fact that it asks the reader to believe that fantastic creatures exist in the same realm as humans. The last of the known dragons on earth are facing eviction from their peaceful valley due to the expansion of humans. Firedrake, one brave dragon, agrees to search for the Rim of Heaven - a magical hiding place of the dragons, that may or may not exist. Along with his brownie friend Sorrel, they pick up a human boy named Ben as they travel the world in their quest. Along the way that meet humans who both help and harm, as well as other fantastic creatures who help and harm. Their journey is impeded through the evil machinations of Nettlebrand, the Golden One. A manmade dragon with impenetrable metal scales, Nettlebrand was designed to destroy all of the silver dragons. With the aide of his frightened servants, Nettlebrand tracks Firedrake, Sorrel and Ben as they make their way towards the Rim of Heaven, so that he may hunt and kill the last of the dragons.

Funke's story is filled with vivid and well-rounded characters. She weaves age-old stories with original plotlines, creating a story that no reader could put down until they know what happens to the heroes. "Dragon Rider" is filled with adventure and humor, a truly delightful story for children, as well as for the child inside every adult.
on July 6, 2017
And the recorded book rocks too. Highly recommended.
on April 20, 2017
Great book for young readers full of imagination
on July 21, 2016
I read this aloud to two kids. They became friends with the characters and loved the adventure. We read it a second time and I don't think they will ever forget Firedrake, Ben, Sorel, twig leg, Gravelbeard, Nettlebrand and the others. This book is a part of our family history now.