Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on September 15, 2015
A beautiful, heart wrenching novel about a simple farming family in China whose life is totally decimated by the invasion of the Japanese. It really gives the reader a good insight into what was happening in Asia before the USA was affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Pearl S. Buck is hard to beat, obviously, but you will find yourself surprised at the level of emotion you develop for this family from such a different culture and way of life. It transports you to a different country in a different time and the descriptions and simplicity are beautiful. This is a must read, in my opinion,for everyone.
I read "The Good Earth" when I was 20, again at 30, again at 40, again at 50, again at 64. Sometime during those 40+ years, I discovered all the others. This is not the best book she ever wrote, but the 1-star, entirely negative review was too harsh. I am not putting this at the top of my Buck's favorites list, but it's still worth reading. The more you read, the more you learn. It has a lot of truth in it. It's not anti-Japanese. It has facts. So the plot is a bit weak at the end, but still I finished it, and I have no complaints at all. One final point to the negative reviewer. "Bad writing" is NOT contagious. I am a writer, an accomplished, published one. I still think this book is better than what I have done. So to the reviewer who says he/she is a writer, shame on you. If you don't have your own solid style by now, then go find one, and don't blame your bad writing on Buck because you read this book. She was one of the greatest writers of the past century.
on August 16, 2015
In this superb novel, Pearl Buck portrays a traditional culture with such wisdom and understanding, that it made me reflect on my life (New York, cosmopolitan). I will never change it for anything, It’s what I know and love – well, used to – but I did get a clear picture, not always a flattering one, but an honest one, of the strong sense of family and love of the land; maybe there is something to be said of close, if sometimes claustrophobic, family ties and simple peasant values and wisdom?

What a great humanitarian Ms. Buck is, I say is because as long as her books are read, she is alive and eloquent in her call for universal understanding.

Dragon Seed moves, like the China before communism, at a slow and deliberate pace, although it’s never boring. Mrs. Buck has an uncanny way of foreshadowing incidents and facts that makes one have to keep turning the page to follow the wonderful, heartbreaking progress of Lin Tan and his extended family during the horrendous “Rape of Nanking” during WWII.

Memorable.
on August 11, 2015
I admire and enjoy Pearl S. Buck's writing. From the Good Earth, read as a young adult, to reading this book in my retirement years, I find that Buck makes the society and Chinese culture real. The historical background of this book provides a great path toward understanding the Chinese culture now. I bought it as a Kindle book with audible app. It's hard to put it down and find myself reading on, even after I've turned off the audible feature. I recommend this book especially to those who like to learn about the history of a culture.
on September 24, 2016
This is an excellent story of how one family lived and survived during an horrendous war. You get to know the members of the family and their reactions to a terrible situation. It tells the story without graphic gore.
on September 1, 2017
It provided a glimpse into the lives and times of people in another country and culture; a man with three sons and a daughter. It's a story of family tradition going back centuries and how they lived off the land as their ancestors had and how their peaceful existence was abruptly halted by war & deprivation, how they continued to believe and follow a peaceful path during a difficult occupation and fight back with few resources except raw courage to oppose their aggressors.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 18, 2017
I think I liked this book the best so far. It is another character study and not a soap opera. It surely is her style of writing that draws you in. Be patient. We are a spoiled society compared to what these "fictional" characters went through.
on October 23, 2017
A long but worthwhile read. Excellent character development of one family's resistance to an occupying army. And how savage an occupier can be. This was my first Buck novel, but it won't be my last.
on August 18, 2015
This was a very intriguing book on China during the invasion by Japan. I gave it four stars instead of five because the end of the book was a bit anticlimactic. I was very taken in by the plight of the ordinary people who were living quiet, comfortable lives and had been for centuries before this invasion. The book reminded me of our invasion of Iraq and made me even more empathetic towards that country. An excellent read.
on July 25, 2014
THIS IS THE 1ST PEARL BUCK BOOK THAT I HAVE READ. SHE WRITES IN A WONDERFUL STYLE. SHE PAINTS PICTURES OF THEIR LIFE. I TRAVEL TO CHINA ON BUSINESS EVERY YEAR. I CAN SEE THE VILLAGE & THE CHARACTERS IN HER PROSE. RURAL CHINA IS MUCH THE SAME TODAY. I KNOW THAT RURAL HOME LIFE IS STILL THE SAME NOW . YOU SEE EVERY OPEN PIECE OF LAND ALONG THE ROADWAY OR R.R. TRACKS IS PLANTED WITH VEGETABLES & HAND WATERED.

I THINK MOST PEOPLE DO NOT THINK ABOUT JAPAN INVADING CHINA IN THE EARLY '30'S. BY THE TIME OF PEARL HARBOR, CHINA HAD BEEN UNDER THEIR DOMINATION FOR MANY YEARS. THE CHINESE PEOPLE ARE FRIENDLY & VERY HELPFUL. THEY ENDURED HORRIBLE CONDITIONS FOR MANY YEARS & HAVE SURVIVED.