Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27,708 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 33,395 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 6, 2017
Let's face it--over 22 THOUSAND people already reviewed this amazing book. It's been a bestseller for years--deservedly so.
Why write ANOTHER review?

First, to give author Diana Gabaldon her due. Not only did she write this long novel (plus seven more, plus some related novellas and such), and keep it endlessly entertaining with vivid characters and fresh plot twists galore. No, that was not enough. She had to write some of the most vivid sweet prose around. Over and over I found gems--dozens of them. They are the kind of verbal jewels that make any author gasp and say "I wish I wrote that." What a feast!

Second, to comment on my fellow readers. While reading OUTLANDER it seemed Gabaldon was everywhere. I recently transitioned six times through airports. EVERY airport had someone reading a Gabaldon paperback. Most readers had no idea what was going on around them because they were clearly a couple centuries back, in Scotland. I wonder how many missed their flights?

Third, to comment on copy editing (as I usually do). This is a long book. I did spot some errors in my Kindle version but, compared to many ebooks, not many errors. Room for improvement but overall pretty good--better than most, for sure.

The odds are slim that anyone will encounter this five-star review in the vast ocean of existing appreciation for this delightful book and its author. If, perchance, a live person actually reads this review, please let me know with a "helpful" vote. I'll know it's a good day to buy a lottery ticket.

Next up: Dragonfly in Amber: A Novel (Outlander)
22 comments| 693 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2016
I read the first three books in this series in paperback (gasp!) years ago before Kindle or Nook even existed. The tv series actually got me thinking I needed to start reading from the beginning and catch up with all new books too. Now I clearly remember why when you mention the title or the author to me, I immediately know what your talking about. And that's saying a lot considering how much I read. Diana Gabaldon is a treasure! She is so gifted that her subtleties often aren't even noticed - and that is a true gift from an artist. The journey for Claire and Jamie is so blindingly beautiful despite everything. Miss Gabaldon is able to weave historical fact, dramatic fiction, love, loyalty, intrigue, etc. into Book 2. Thank you Diana - it was just as wonderful the second time. Gotta run, Book 3 awaits.
on February 26, 2017
Just be forewarned that once you start this series, you can't stop. But wait, this is a review for book 2 so you probably already know that! In fact, you're probably not even wasting precious time to read any of these reviews and are already glued to this 2nd book. Why am I wasting precious time writing this review when book 3 is impatiently waiting?! I don't know!!! **panic starts to creep in** If you're reading the Kindle version, I'd highly recommend purchasing the Audible companion as well so you can switch back and forth and maximize your time wrapped up in this beautifully woven story. One word of advice though, if you get the Audible version and listen to it through your car stereo while driving, don't do what I did.... Don't be so engrossed in the story that you forget your windows are down at a red light, in dense traffic, with plenty of others with their windows down, while the book is at one of the steamy scenes between Jamie and Claire, and you're sitting there behind the wheel, alone in your car, smiling like a fool, 😏 blissfully unaware of all the stares until you're jolted out of your reverie by all the honking.
on October 22, 2014
Unless you have read the first Outlander book, this one might become disjointed and assumptive. Go read it! But Diana Gabaldon has the gift to write, she carries you outside yourself, so you read in the "shared-experience" atmosphere. I loved her first book which is wonderfully adventurous as well as sensitive and romantic, erotic at times and always uniquely descriptive. Her second book Dragonfly" is brilliantly crafted, intelligently structured...right up until the last phase of the book which I found complicated. I realised she was preparing me for the next book. I also became aware that she could see way way ahead into future writings but I couldn't. Became annoying. I would have preferred a stand-alone story. Let the book start and let it finish and if you want to write a "next" book, pick out threads that can help but don't actually rely on, the lead-through. Having said all that, I have already started the third book despite being somewhat confused, hoping I shall find my way into it, without having to reference back to find out why. That should tell you to read the books. The main characters are wonderfully human, humorous, quick-witted and endearing from the start. Would I recommend? You betcha.
on October 22, 2015
The story continues with a slight twist on the first page - we are back in the 20th century! How, why, what's happened, what's going to happen? This is a long, satisfying story that continues through flashbacks and some flashforwards. Old friends have returned in new surroundings and there are meetings with historic characters seen a new or different light. I am amazed at the research the author has done and how she takes the reader on an adventure roller coaster that is romantic, historical and just pure joy! While a reader could jump into this book without reading the first book, I would not recommend it; the plot, the motives, the characters will make much more sense and be that much more enjoyable in Dragonfly in Amber. I can hardly wait for the next installment of the television program. This is such an outstanding series of novels.
on June 4, 2015
Phenomenal! Diana weaves such a spellbinding tale with so many nuances and subplots. I put her up there with J.K. Rowling EXCEPT, that while J.K. is all magical stuff so that she is not confined by reality, Diana is confined to historical reality. I am fascinated by the depth of her characters complete with their psychology, interests, weaknesses, strengths and MUCH MORE!
If you like historical fiction, as I do, then you'll be entranced by her semi-historical and semi-fiction. Obviously much of the book is made up, but within the context of the Scottish 1745 rebellion. Indeed, her book has stimulated for me a greater interest in my Scottish roots and an understanding of the allusion by my mother of our Scotch-Irish heritage.
I've only read her first two books in this series. Knowing that there are 6 more books to go, I was stumped as to how she could take the series any further, but she nailed me in the last 20 or so pages.
on April 2, 2014
Who would have thought that a series based on the love story of two people would capture me, one who doesn’t normally do romance novels. I am so happy that when I started hearing people talk about this series that I didn’t just brush it off because of the genre. I read reviews and listened to what people had to say and there was enough of a sci-fi time travel edge to it to have me interested. Once I started I was hooked utterly and completely.
At first I disliked this book because it seemed to drag on in the beginning for me, only to discover, that it wasn’t dragging, I was just impatient to get back to where book 1 (Highlander) left off. It was worth the wait and taught me a lesson in patience.
From the first two that I’ve read so far, Dragonfly in Amber is my new favorite. The romantic tint to the story faded a bit and other elements came shining through. I don’t think I have ever been on such an emotional roller coaster brought forth by a novel. This one had me in tears (Oh the deaths tore me apart!), shuddering (some of the most vile settings and happenings), laughing (how did she get me to laugh when an old ‘friend’ was dying in front of my eyes during the war?), and held my attention with suspense. Once I got into it, I couldn’t put the book down, cooking, cleaning, talking to friends & family all seemed secondary to me.
I already have book three on my mind and know that I want to continue on with this series, only, I won’t do that to my brain & heart just yet. I need to recover from this book hangover. Perhaps a few novellas/kindle shorts & then another novel or two, or three, of a different genre, to allow me to “recover” from the ride I was just on.
If I could give more than a 5 star review, I most certainly would! No doubt in my mind.
on June 9, 2016
This is a long, long book but written in a way that makes it easy to turn the page. Perhaps, DG goes a bit overbosrd with descriptions of minutiae, but the reader can easily visualize characters and scenes. Logical as I am, I tend to wonder why the standing stones manage to transport Claird to the exact same places from whence she came. Other than that, the story seems to say that the forces of history are greater than we are, though I remember a very good TV show called Early Edition in which the main character receives the daily newspaper before the reported events actually happen and he is often able to prevent disaster. How I wish that Claire Fraser could have done the same.
on September 1, 2017
I remember hearing about these books a few years back, but only just now decided to start them after hearing all the buzz from the tv shows... and I'm so glad I did! I was a literature/writing graduate, and I have no idea how I didn't get my hands on these books before now. So good! I have watched the TV show, which is great, but I love the books even more because there is so much more information in them. I love historical literature that weaves real history into a new, unique plot lline, and the Outlander books definitely accomplish that. It might seem like there is just a lot of romance and sex in the tv show, which there is, of course, because it is a love story after all, but the books definitely make it feel like the sex and romance isn't the only important part of the story. Don't get me wrong, I love a good nsfw scene in my books and tv shows, ha ha, because that is real after all. Relationships involve sex, get over it prudes! 😉 But if you're looking for a little more than just what happens between the sheets, compared to the show, I highly recommend the books. It's just such a beautiful,vivid, and raw story. It hurts, it feels good, and everything in between. I've experienced just about every emotion on the spectrum reading this book, and that to me exemplifies a job well done. Couldn't put it down.
on May 23, 2016
I absolutely loved Diana Gabaldon's first Outlander book, so there was some question when starting Dragonfly in Amber if she could do it again. Would we be swept away in Jaime and Claire's love story? yes. Would there be suspense and intrigue? yes. Would this be a great adventure? yes. All this and more. I loved this book as much as the first, though nothing could ever really compare to the masterpiece of the 1st book. Spoiler alert! Jaime and Claire's parting is one of the most heart-rending passages I have ever read. I started crying towards the end and kept crying page after page after page. If you loved the 1st book you will love the 2nd book, too. (And I am reading the 3rd book now- still in love with the story.)