Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 358 reviews
on October 12, 2016
Amazing and compelling. These books may be listed as "fantasy"; however, there are kernels of ethics, morality, spirituality, life lessons, logic, reason, and much more within and scattered throughout all of these novels. They are both escapist and relaxation stories, and deep soul touching and intelligent personal discourse allowing the reader to see themselves and those around them as if from the perspective of a disembodied or unattached observer - it is stunning when this realization finally comes to you. I have yet to find any book or novel throughout those within the Wizards of the Coast line (Dungeons and Dragons, Forgotten Realms) that does not have merit, in one way or another. My children have just begun reading these, and they are starting to see this and ask questions, allowing discourse and enlightenment. I thank the authors for this wonderful gift.
on May 6, 2017
This book is just awesome. From its gold gilt edges to the foil in the cover to the included pictures, this book is beautiful. The stories themselves are timeless classics.
on July 18, 2012
Bought the Omnibus to reread again, makes it convenient having 3 in 1.

I was given the 1st book in the trilogy when it first came out as a Christmas present back in the 80's. Got around reading it a few months later, honestly couldn't put it down.

After reading the 1st one I lucked out getting the 2nd one when it was released, to be honest, a saleswoman at the bookstore (Waldon's) screwed up and sold me a copy that she grabbed from storeroom, the shipment of them had just arrived and where not to be sold until midnight that evening. They sold out that evening within an hour.

It's one of those books in a series that you'll cram time to read whether waiting in line, riding a bus, sitting in the backseat of a car, washing your clothes at the laundromat, or on the toilet.

If you like magic, DnD style storyline/world, characters of varies alignments, good and not so good working together in order to battle a powerful foe, in a well thought out world, then this is a great series to read. Raistlin Majere being one of my favorite characters, he's good at being bad.

Word of advice, read these 3 books (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning) before picking up any other Dragonlance book.

Some of the later books are hit and miss when it comes to a good story, but for me the first three are by far the best.
on August 18, 2012
About fifteen years ago I read The Death Gate Cycle by Weis and Hickman and really enjoyed it. I picked that series up again this year and, to my surprise, devoured it with the same enthusiasm I had as a child. That series was well written, engaging, mature, and nuanced. The first book took a bit to get into, but then each book after was better and better.

I bought the Dragonlance Chronicles from Weis and Hickman hoping for more of the same, but I have to say I was disappointed. Maybe the target audience is younger, or maybe it was a more junior work on the part of the authors, but for whatever reasons this book felt much more like cookie-cutter fantasy fiction. While there were a few unexpected turn of events, for the most part you can guess at the ending the whole time. The characters, while each "developing" throughout the novel all still feel a little thin and predictable (e.g. The spoiled child learns to grow up and be selfless and humble). Pretty basic stuff here. Not a lot of depth of character and not a lot to grapple with. Pretty straightforward good guys vs. bad guys, and you know what side people land on quickly.

Unlike the Death Gate Cycle this was a series that I would have enjoyed in my early teen years but is too simplistic and formulaic for me as an adult. If you're reading this review and considering this series for yourself or as a gift, I'd actually suggest just jumping skipping this bland appetizer and going straight to the delicious main course that is The Death Gate Cycle.
on March 9, 2017
I read these books when they were first published and had lost them throughout my many moves. I ordered this one because I love reading this series
on September 8, 2015
This book is in my top 5 of best books of all time. Its also one of the first books that I bought for myself as a child. I am so glad I was able to purchase this edition before the price skyrocketed! I love the camaraderie and how the friends all have a particular skill that helps the group. Sure there is some dysfunction, but that is normal in groups and makes things more realistic. The characters also have very distinct personalities that add to the group and therefore the story.
on April 13, 2017
Read this series as a teen, wanted to read again!
on November 21, 2015
This is my first venture into the DragonLance world. I am currently enjoying this trilogy very much and am just getting into book 3.
This is your basic good versus evil with a few twists. The characters are quite diverse and interesting. I do believe that at least a few major characters have to pass away to make the story more interesting and not fall into the happily ever after mode. I do recommend this trilogy.
on May 30, 2014
This is one of my all time favorite trilogies. it is an excellent story that follows a group of adventurer/friends across the world (Think Lord of the Rings) as they take up arms against evil forces that seek to doom their world.

The writing style is fast paced yet still detailed. The characters are given such depth that you often feel as if you are reading about real life happenings! A great read for any who enjoy adventure!
on June 2, 2008
The basic storyline, although not particularly inspiring or memorable, is entertaining and absorbing. To their credit, the authors have attempted to give their world color and texture and have likewise attempted to give some depth to their characters. Unfortunately, they aren't really good enough writers to pull it off. Descriptions of places tend to be gaudy, garish, and implausible. Their effort to create emotional depth in their characters manifests itself in gross, oversimplified ways, resulting in unbelievable, one-dimensional characters. For instance, the hero of the series, Tanis Half-Elven, struggles with his mixed parentage. Okay, well and good. But the authors failed to give him any other personality traits, so Tanis' responses, to everything from being attacked by a dragon to be offered a cup of tea, are limited to absurdly overblown fits of racial angst. A for effort, C for execution. Similarly, the dialogue between characters is unfailingly forced, contrived, and comically melodramatic. At times, I find myself wondering whether English is perhaps not the authors' native language, as they seem to frequently employ words which don't fit the context, suggesting that they either don't understand the meanings of the words they're using, or simply have adolescent stylistic tastes.

Still, I've come to realize that one cannot expect Tolstoy in the fantasy genre (although I keep hoping that one day a serious writer will undertake it). And, for a trash novel, it's makes for a decent read.