Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

VINE VOICEon April 25, 2009
Dragon's Blood is the first Jane Yolen book I've actually read, even though she is prolific and was popular when I was young adult literature age. It is a fairly straightforward story about a feudal society on another planet where the economy is driven by dragon fighting. Jakkin, a young indentured servant who works in a dragon nursery - where dragons are bred, raised, and trained to fight - decides to make a name for himself and earn his freedom by stealing a hatchling dragon and training it in secret. Then, he does it.

I liked it all right. The first half of the book moved a little slowly and was mostly about getting the reader acquainted with the world. She did do a pretty good job capturing the wonder of dragons. Jakkin himself is a little boring. Later, when Akki and Sarkkhan start to play a greater role, the book gets more interesting, since these characters have more engaging backgrounds and personalities, and also tend to scheme more, and more intricately.

This is the first book in the Pit Dragon series; there are three more books after it, so far. I'm interested enough to pick up the second book next time I'm in the mood for YA, but I'll probably be getting it from the library.
on December 18, 2013
Another book in this series. All are worth reading and very reasonably priced. If you enjoy the fantasy escape into a world filled with dragons, you will enjoy these books. My first encounter with dragons was with the memorable Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. Those books hooked me on anything dragon related and this series is certainly that. I think you will enjoy reading this series as well as McCaffrey's.
One person found this helpful
on March 23, 2018
was a good read
on May 20, 2015
OK, it's pretty well written. But... so little happens.

I mean, it's obvious it's about a boy raisiing a dragon, right? And it's a fighting dragon so there better at least be a first fight, right? And that's it. Story ends. And after some really decent writing and etceteras it's all just tied up in one very hurried conversation. That's it. I wasn't left wanting more. I enjoyed it, but that's all.
on January 20, 2014
This book fascinates me! A totally different way of looking at dragons and their relationship to people. The bond displayed between jakkin and hearts blood is even one closer than mother and child, leaving the reader feeling very content. Great book!
One person found this helpful
on October 1, 2013
I love this story. Since the first time I ever read it years ago. I had to own it for myself. You will never forget this one since it is so exciting to read
on August 29, 2015
loved this for over 20 years now!
on December 31, 2017
My two teen boys loved the book and now want to read the whole series.
on July 8, 2015
The fanatical world is easy to follow and soon you're entranced and can't stop reading! I will be introducing this to my 9th graders for sure!
on June 6, 2015
I have read the first two books in this trilogy and enjoyed the second one more. The first book introduces the main characters, setting and plot. The story is actually amazing and younger teens would probably enjoy it. Book One seemed to end abruptly.