Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,518 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,780 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 19, 2016
This book is not Chaucer (doesn't try to be, and that's fine!) We'd selected several little books for our grandchildren this Christmas, and while most of them contained more substantive messages, you know what they say about all work and no play! We chose this one for our 2+ year old grandson, a silly book with fun illustrations that we know he and his older brothers will all really get a kick out of! Most of the vocabulary is a bit over his head at this stage, but that's how they learn, and it sets up the perfect scenario for one of his older (4-1/2 & 8-1/2) brothers to enjoy reading it to him and maybe provide Mommy with a little break.

Well, of COURSE we all know that dragons love tacos - who doesn't love tacos? But what we may not know until reading this story is that dragons + tacos + spicy salsa equals dragons with attitude! One of the things I like is that the dragons I knew as a child (other than Puff!) were all very scary and the creatures of nightmares... but these are the funniest, friendliest looking dragons you could imagine, all of whom just LOVE tacos and just LOVE parties of any kind - just combine the two (into a taco party), and you're looking at some super happy dragons! Except... including any spicy salsa is a no-no, since we're all aware of what dragons are known for, and slipping - even accidentally - any spicy salsa into the mix would be like putting a match to a... uh-oh!

And how could a book coming from this combo of author/illustrator be anything other than fun? I had a good chuckle over the "recipe" included on the inside of the jacket for "making" this book... (author) "Adam Rubin: 8 oz. magic tricks, 4 oz. knock-knock jokes, 17 words per minute... In a small apartment, stir ingredients and store in New York City", along with (illustrator) "Daniel Salmieri: 4 tbsp. watercolor paint, 2 cups pencils (sharpened), 6 corn tortillas... Preheat Brooklyn, New York, to 75 degrees and bake for 27 years", then "Serve both dishes together for a delightful smorgasbord a la Robo-Sauce, Secret Pizza Party, and Those Darn Squirrels." VERY clever!
on June 21, 2012
This made my grandsons--aged 5 and 3--laugh out loud. A big success in the gift-from-grandma department. MY daughter, who has to read favorite books over and over, loved it too.
0Comment| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon September 1, 2014
The drawings have tremendous personality and the story is silly but so easy to follow that little readers get it the first time through.

We have a number of books that were fun but seemed to be pretty much one-and-done. This one is always called for and, bonus time, it actually gets better as you reread it. The kids know what's coming with the salsa, and they start to pick up the subtle little jokes that are sprinkled through the drawings.

The story has a lot of repetition built into it, but that means the littlest guys know what's coming and start to recognize the words as you turn the pages. That adds even more fun because you start to get a "Hey, I'm reading" dynamic going.

The tone is consistently cheerful and the humor is pretty mellow.

So, whether you have a toddler, an early reader, or even an older reader with a taste for silliness, this is a very nice and entertaining choice.
on November 12, 2016
My daughter is obsessed with this book. We read it multiple times a day. She tells anyone who will listen that dragons love tacos. The story is really cute and has gotten my two year old to request tacos, but no spicy salsa.
on February 19, 2016
I bought this for my 2.5 year old son as a Christmas present. He loves it! We love reading it together as a family before bedtime. We've enjoyed eating tacos for dinner a few nights and pretend we have fire shooting out of our mouths from the pretend spicy salsa.
on May 2, 2017
My kids LOVE this book and request this every other night at bed time. We have a TON of books and many beloved ones, but this at the top of the list!
on May 10, 2017
Purchased as a gift for a young adult who has everything. It's a cute, fun book for a girl who loves dinosaurs, tacos and explosions. Perfect!
on April 25, 2017
Awesome book. Was going to give it to my nephew instead I kept it at my house and we read it multiple times whenever he comes over.
on March 16, 2017
One of our very favorite books. So cute, she loves the illustrations and I don't mind reading it over and over. Absolutely darling
on July 13, 2015
This is a good book for experienced readers. I got this to read to my 2 year old son who loves dragons and tacos. His attention span didn't allow him to sit and listen to the whole thing, but I enjoyed reading it. I felt like it was kind of back and forth on some of the pages, but it was still cute.