Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Style Name: Sketching|Change
Price:$6.26+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 639 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 705 reviews
Enthusiast: Drawingon April 3, 2016
This appears to be a very good product, but it has a few drawbacks and it doesn't really fit my needs. For one thing, the case is much larger than I had expected. It could easily be over 2 inches shorter without the added length to accommodate the sharpener and eraser. Also, the spine of the case is very stiff and folding the open case in half might compromise the stiff spine. These two issues make this case much more cumbersome than similar products that I own. The pencils seem fine, but I did not really need another pencil set. I already have mechanical pencils and drawing pens with which I had intended to fill the case. The sketch pad is 5" x 7" which is adequate and quite portable, but has only 12 sheets of paper! This is disappointing, since the case is quite roomy and could easily hold a thick sketchpad. It is easy to fit many drawing tools inside the case, but there are no pouches or straps to accommodate them. I doubt this product will get much use from me. It looked good in the ad but for my purposes it is very disappointing. Royal & Langnickel offer other zippered sets that omit the eraser and sharpener and provide more portability. Unless you really need the pencils, sharpener and eraser (I don"t) I would recommend you check out these and other alternatives.
on March 26, 2017
I'll be honest - I mostly bought this for the organizer, and that alone exceeded my expectations for the price. I wanted something I could take on the go without taking up much space in my bag. This is a nice, affordable, concise set, and it holds everything in place properly with absolutely no mess. Additionally, there is a strap inside the case that allows the set to be put over the wrist or fastened inside a bag.
Everything in the set I have seems to be sewn down properly. The elastic bands have decent springback and a good grip, so I foresee it lasting quite a while. The case itself wipes clean from minor icks with just a little water. All of the items in the set fit where they should with no hassle.

The only downside to this purchase is that the sketchbook is 12 pages long. It's 12 pages of pretty good paper, but still 12 pages. If anyone is looking for a replacement that still fits in their set, I've bought and used this one successfully and with no complaints: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025TYZXM/
The one listed above has a spiral edge - a much needed upgrade from the one included in this set.

Really though, any 5x7 sketchpad will do. You could probably go a little longer, but not too much, because the pencil sharpener and eraser should have a place above the sketchbook to close properly. You shouldn't try to go wider than 5. At 5, the book of 30 pages I have now -just- fits.
Edit 04/01/2017 - The sketch book I recommended above does have rough paper. It's best for drawing PRACTICE and not detail work. I'm currently looking for a smoother supplementary pad. I'll update when I find one.
on November 15, 2013
I am a beginner in drawing, but wanted a basic pencil set and was somewhat disappointed with this set. In the case I got pencil hardness does not seem to be as indicated. For example B pencil is light and 2B is significantly darker (more like 5B), H is darker than B. If you are not planning on doing any significant shading then get a simple 1 pencil, however, with this set shading is difficult. I bought a set from Michael's and in comparison that set is much more precise and in it's gradual darkness progression.

The case is a nice idea, however, aside from the little pad that comes with it, I could not find a standard dimension sketchbook that would fit there. So not very practical for reuse.

I would not recommend this for a beginner artist, as it doesn't do the basic job. However, if you are buying an art set for a child, this might be the right one.
on February 21, 2017
Considering how inexpensive this product was I am AMAZED by the quality! The pencils come in a very sturdy fabric zippered folder which is a true bonus: it's large enough that you can add extra art items and use it as a traveling art center. I am not an artist (I bought these as a gift), but the recipient was pleased with the quality of the pencils.
on December 1, 2014
I got this today, so I'm not sure how it lasts with everyday wear-and-tear, but I think it'll do just fine.

Here's a simple list for your troubles:
-----------------------------------------
--I like the pencils, but if you don't like them you can easily replace them with pencils that you do like. (I bought this set for the case...)
--The eraser is... an eraser. Don't expect anything fancy.
--The drawing pad is not the best in the world but easily replaceable. The loops holding it down can also be used for storing some pens instead of a booklet.
--The handheld pencil sharpener is better than any of the other pencil sharpeners I have at the moment, but I suppose that's just me.
--The pencils are hard to get out, but the case is perfect for traveling. It is very sturdy, which is good because it protects what you put inside.

I must also mention that what I have here is not exactly what is pictured. The sharpener is a sort of dark grey instead of blue and the drawing pad has a picture of a bunch of pencils instead of a horse, but I suppose that doesn't matter much; the quality is great regardless.
on March 12, 2015
I bought this for the case, not the supplies it contains. I took the coloured pencils out and substituted my own good set of graphite pencils instead and I put in a good pencil sharpener as the one it comes with is so much junk. The pad is 5" x 7" and I left it in there for future use, though it is hard to find paper that size for replacements. The case holds everything snugly and keeps it from rattling around and it's easy to grab and goIt is of rugged and durable construction and it zips tightly so nothing will fall out. The coloured pencils seem to be of average kids quality and it is a good deal for the money, even for just the case.
on May 9, 2017
Please note that this item is not the one in the description. It only has 6 colors and 1 brush (description says 12 and 2). It is also much larger than it appears (this is not a bad or good thing, just note that the pad is about half the size of the case and the case is not very efficient). For the price, it's really hard to complain but it is the principle of the matter that the description should match the item.
on July 16, 2015
Not complaining about how cheap this product feels, because it IS cheap (you pay what you get). My complain is that it doesn't work well AT ALL. The colors don't get on the paper smoothly, you need to use force to do so. Forget about the eraser and pencil sharpener in there. I guess I paid the price for the carriage so I can put other pencils in it.
on March 12, 2010
These kits are fabulous -- they are excellent and inexpensive and great for kids age 2 and up (and certainly for adults as well).

1. The exterior is very sturdy, and even holds up to my younger daughter dragging it along the sidewalk. Easy to keep clean -- appears to be water-repellent.

2. It's easy to carry. Small enough to fit in a small backpack, but also has a carry-handle that you can keep tucked in, when the case is zipped, or hang out as a handle.

3. The elastic holding the colored pencils in place is very strong. Each of the six elastic sections holds 2 pencils very snugly, but not so snug to make removing pencils difficult at all. Very quickly, though, there are colored pencil marks inside the case from the pencils being removed/replaced, but really it's not a big deal - all on the inside.

4. We haven't yet used the pencil sharpener, but the eraser does indeed erase these pencil marks very well.

5. The pad of paper also fits snugly. Using both sides of the paper, though, doesn't work that well as the sheet lays across the upper ridge of the case, but we plan to turn the entire pad over after the front sides are used. I haven't yet sought out replacement paper, but I don't anticipate any problems.

6. The case has enough extra space to put in some of your own extra supplies -- pieces of scrap paper, sheets of stickers, etc.

7. The price is outstanding! I am pretty sure we paid around $15 for each kit, and now I see it's on sale here for $8.95! What a steal. The components are very high quality, and I still feel like for $15 I got a very good value.

Great gift for any age or gender. If you have NO idea what to get someone, this Keep N Carry set is a safe and creative choice.
on December 24, 2013
Sturdy zippered case comes with 12 pencils ranging from HB, B, 2B-6B, 2H-5H, a small pencil sharpener with two size holes, a small white eraser and a small thin scratch pad. There's a cloth handle which can be extended outside of the compartment for easy carrying. Everything is secured to the case by elastic bands. Pencils are band two at a time. It takes some maneuvering to get the pencils out due to the snug fit. I compared these pencils to Derwent sketching pencils. The H pencils draw bolder than Derwent H pencils. The B pencils are nice and bold. At this price, these pencils are good to start with and can be used to practice application techniques. I bought them for my 6 year old grandson.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.