Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 94 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 126 reviews
on September 6, 2016
In 2010 I experienced a similar ordeal to yours. My brilliant newspaper columnist husband of 8 years was diagnosed with stage IV cancer in January and in March was told he had six weeks to live. Our son was 6 years old. My husband was young and strong. He made it to November. I did not have the same support or finances as you, however I'm writing this to let other readers considering your book know that some of these negative reviews saying you whine or negatively impacted their fantasy of The Last Lecture aren't applicable to all readers. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your views. Yours is a different subject: the caregiver's thoughts and emotions. Every cancer family's situation is different. Your late husband's book was phenomenal. And about a totally different subject and point of view. I don't believe this book damages his legacy. I'm very happy you and your children are survivors, just like me and my son. The pain and fear are the same, money or no money, nanny or not. And pain, chemo or something can change good, loving spouses selfish, irritable, or just mean. Even understanding that doesn't make it not hurt. So bravo Jai, for bravely using your ordeal to help others.
on July 15, 2016
If you've read "the Last Lecture" or watched the video, this is another important layer of the story. Honest love, honest pain, honestly not easy. Sacrifice involves a cost. Love sacrifices. Not glossed over. The people we love can be our heroes, but they can also exact the most pain in our lives. Jai lays it out there. She's real. She values all that happened. Love hurts, love enables, love strengthens us for where we are called. Love forgives. See I Corinthians 13:4-7, & 13 for what is being lived in this book.
An intense time of life is shared with us, but also finding the present and reaching for the future.
on January 23, 2016
This is a stunning account of the process and toil of caregiving on the care of a loved one with a chronic and life threatening illness. Jai Pausch shows the other side of terminal illness. She puts a face on caregiving and confronting grief. Her message is as real as the diagnosis that took her husband. Her moving forward is a message of hope to all who are left behind no matter the circumstance of loss. Life is no dress rehearsal...so do not squander it and while losing someone can be devastating, there is magic left to be lived. An extraordinary piece of work. I read it in one evening as it begged to be finished.
on April 4, 2014
The Last Lecture was a special book written by a clearly special man. Behind every great man, there is normally a great woman. Dream New Dreams simply lets us see this great woman's journey to love, honor, respect and care for her husband as their dreams were shattered by cancer. I found Jai Pausch's chronicles to be honest, loving, and inspirational. Her battle between being a mother and a wife at stages when both jobs demanded her physical and emotional strength was palpable, and she does not shy away from her shortcomings and her need to rely on others to do both to the best of her ability at a given moment. A lesson to any who are caring for a loved one who is ill, a lesson to any who feel guilty that they need their "outs" as they do this unexpected and uninvited job. A lesson to any who simply want to trust that unconditional love exists, and that it is worth fighting for even if it takes work and courage to find it in the darkest hour. I cried, I smiled, I now hold my loved ones a little tighter, a little longer. Every second is precious. Take the time to read this book and dare to follow Jai Pausch's ultimate gift to herself and her family: dream new dreams.
on May 6, 2013
I read Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture, and the book inspired me because I was a person who thought that I had plenty of time until I lost my Dad this year. The grief is suffocating and overwhelming. I have been in counseling. I ran across this book while looking for another book. Jai Pausch is straightforward and honest about her pain, lost, and grief during Randy's illness and after his death. After losing my father, I felt that I would never recover. Reading books like this book help me to see that people survive. It is hard, but you survive. Our loved ones suffering through a terminal illness want us to acknowledge that we will miss them when they are no longer here. I miss my Dad everyday. I was fortunate that I told him that I loved him before he died. Jai Pausch had managed to use her experiences to help others. I recommend this book to anyone who within the throes of grief. It was a big help to me.
on November 19, 2015
The book is very moving on Mr Pausch battle with cancer and while I understand the care giver role and how difficult that must have been
For Mrs Pausch I cannot help but feel she is making this about her and not her husband who suffered so much. She had nannies caring for her children, family members working in shifts to assist her and no financial worries. I wonder how many families go through this without these benefits.
on July 3, 2013
Some people say that this book ruins the fantasy of Randy Pausch and his perfect family. But I think this is a side that people need to see b/c it's reality. Especially for other caregivers, so that they can see that they're not alone in their feelings. She is pretty honest, instead of being self-aggrandizing or sugar-coating everything. I don't have personal experience with this, but I have had other forms of loss in my life and I can relate to the feelings and the process.
on August 26, 2014
This was a painful yet rewarding read. I had followed Randy Paush after seeing his lecture on You Tube. I read his book and gave it as a gift to my sons. I loved his uplifting way with words. What I loved about Jai's book was she doesn't sugar coat the truth. People going thru or who have gone thru great loss will be touched by her honesty. I'm happy for her, how brave to share her true story.
on July 27, 2017
Even more real then Randy Pausch's approach to his terminal cancer is the way his wife lived through and dealt with his dying and death. I learned more about myself!
on October 23, 2013
I almost feel like I'm part of this family having fallen in love with her late husband's book "The Last Lecture" and then loving it so much that I've bought 4 more copies to give to special people in my life as well as having bought a DVD of it also. So when I say the author knows of what she speaks I am not just paying her isle compliments as her husband was a very special, very rare and unique individual with a very endearing personality and an amazing perspective on life so it is no surprise at how special his wife, Jai Pausch, would prove herself to be by this book and in how deeply and lovingly she would relate her loss and love for him and the special life and family they made together and how from it she found and drew the strength, grace, and courage to survive her loss with utmost love and dignity and strength. I salute her for sharing this painful but beautiful experience she was blessed to have in her life.