Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(3 star). See all 659 reviews
on August 14, 2013
The specials on the second disk of the Showstopper Edition are fantastic. Excellent interviews, behind the scenes looks, revealing footage. Not repetitious at all. This is the first time I enjoy the specials more than the film itself. The film has excellent vocal and acting performances, but lacks something that I cannot quite point out. Maybe focus, or pace, or storyline?
on January 21, 2013
When I ordered this movie, there was nothing in the description to indicate that it had to be played on a HD DVD player, which I do not have. Also the cover of the DVD was not the same. On the DVD I received, at the very top of the cover, it says HD DVD VERSION which is not what the movie in the artwork for this advertisement says. Be very careful when ordering. I know I am probably one of the last people on the planet to not have a HD DVD player. I am just looking for a version of this movie that I can play on a regular DVD player that has the two-hour documentary and the rest of the special features. If anyone knows where I could get one, please let me know.
on December 31, 2013
I had heard a lot about this movie and was excited to get it but as features like this go I thought it was okay. The acting was forced and okay, the songs were okay. Everything wa just okay.
on April 23, 2015
It's pure musical and new music. Just not my thing. But some will love it.
on March 12, 2016
It wasn't what I expected. I expected good music and the previews looked really good. What I didn't realize was that it was a musical. Hearing dialogue or intense drama set to music doesn't appeal to me.
on February 20, 2015
I watched this with my daughter & son-in-law and found this slow compared to Jersey Boys-- they fell asleep and never saw the end...
on November 12, 2010
I know that Dreamgirls was originally a Broadway musical. But I didn't know the movie would be. The previews show the movie as being a movie musical drama of a fictional pop girl-group from the 60's, done in a biography style. That was what made me want to see it. I never saw this film until I bought the HD/DVD version.

Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson are enough reason to watch this movie. Beyonce's cruves, beauty, and sweet voice are prefect as always. And Hudson's attitude, and gospel like voice belted out with perfect pitch. She proved beyond any doubt that she can sing and act like a pro. The story is a great tribute to the music and lives of the pioneers who revolutionized the music industry of the times.

Jamie Fox wore his role like a glove. But Eddie Murphy disappointed me. I am a big fan of Eddie Murphy movies and comedy routines. But his character did not fit the role is this story. He can not sing very well, and he is not the type to play a "Ladies man" role. He was not convincing. I kept waiting for him to break out into a comedy routine with his signature laugh.

The only other part that did not fit into this fim was the singing of the story lines. Every time they got into a good dramatic part, they would break out into a musical singing the words. This reduced the dramatic feel of the moment to something kind of phony. This wasn't the movie musical "Oklahoma" or "Funny Girl". It was a story of a fictional singing group. It would have been much better as a good dramatic bio type movie instead of a musical.

Still, I enjoyed the story, and the Dreams musical numbers were fantastic. The poetice justic in favor of Hudson's character was a very sweet ending. I cheered. It is worth it just to see and hear Beyonce and Jennifer. They are the only true stars that shine in this movie. But well worth watching.
2 people found this helpful
on November 1, 2014
okay.
on December 31, 2012
I was unable to view it on my HD Blueray disc player. So I could not get to view to give this a good rating.
on July 20, 2014
This was ok, not spectacular as I thought it would be..there were parts that were boring and for me it was a once watch and never would watch again.