Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8 reviews
on January 29, 2015
This is an obscure book that a friend gave to me years ago. Almost any conversation that I enter where wonders of the modern world are discussed, I end up referencing the stories in the book. The Bell Rock Lighthouse, the London Sewers, and the Brooklyn Bridge are feats of mankind that show us today how important tenacity and courage are in conquering our difficulties. I've given away copies of this book that I've owned and am once again buying a replacement.
on April 29, 2012
Remarkable depth and coverage on the types of human and personal sacrifices that people made from shipbuilding to railroad tracks to give the Western world the tremendous advantages it has enjoyed over the last 150 years.

Being a capitalist, this was an eye opener. Abraham Lincoln during Civil War penned the Railroad Act and Panama Canal was funded by the US Govt. Without the Govt vision to seed the market in these areas (plus Hoover Dam that it talks about) free markets would have never taken the chances needed to make US a major economic powerhouse.

Regardless of your view on Government policies, reading where we came from always gives a good perspective as you chart out where the country is going to go
on November 9, 2014
One of the best history books I have ever read, I've purchased a copy for everyone of my family and friends that is amazed by true human achievements.