Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 244 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 384 reviews
on March 17, 2017
Cole has created an amazing world on modern Earth. Inside her world, lore creatures, such as vampire and werewolves, exist without alerting humans to their presence. Her characters consist of strong women who are anything but damsels in distress and sexy tortured men who often must overcome their past before they can accept their fated mate. Even though some of her characters are thousand-year-old immortals, they frequently make hilarious pop culture references.

The romance (sex) between characters is hot and steamy and leaves you wanting more. But the best part is how each character overcomes trials to win their mates. No two characters are the same and no two trials the couples endure are either. The detail she uses in the way she describes everything makes it easy to picture her sexy characters and fantastic world!

Nothing in Cole's books is without purpose. Something she mentions in one book usually comes into play in the following book, or later. Each story blends perfectly with one another, leading up to a huge battle between two warring factions.
on March 9, 2011
Without a doubt Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series is one of my favorites. Great characters, interesting mythology, and lots of adventure. This one, while certainly not my favorite of the series, was still worth reading.

The plot is, to say the least, ambitious. At the tender age of twelve Regin finds herself in the home of berserker Aiden the Feirce, who tells her that she will be his wife when she grows up. Aiden knows that she is his true mate. His goal is to win immortality from the gods by battling in their name, and thus to spend an eternity with a valkyrie wife. Tragically, he is killed shortly after making love to Regin for the first time. Over the centuries he is reincarnated several times, always discovering Regin and remembering his past lives just before being violently killed. The latest incarnation of Aiden is called Declan Chase. Chase hates immortals of all sorts, and is the head of a mass prison/research/torture center for immortals. He captures Regin and many of her friends, and she is forced to choose whether to help him along to his inevitable demise, or avoid him and allow him to live out a full life.

Other reviewers have no doubt mentioned that this book is pretty dark for a romance novel. There is a lot of torture and gore, and overall very grim themes. I enjoy the occational mix of horror and romance, but this one had me cringing slightly. The most disturbing is Chase. He's psychologically tortured for many reasons and at times he comes across as pure evil. Compounded on this is the fact that he's a drug addict. Bottom line, there are times when he is not at all likeable.

This brings me to the characters. I found Aiden instantly loveable--hansome, brave, full of pride, and he treats his woman like a princess. Chase, on the other hand, is dark and brooding and allows Regin to be locked up and tortured. No, he's not irredeemable--but making him likeable was a difficult task. I'm not entirely sure Cole managed it. At best in the last quarter I started to feel like there was hope for him, but never warmed up to him all the way. As for Regin, she's as awesome as when she was first introduced. Tough, loyal, and straight talking--she remains one of my favorite characters in this series. As usual there are some awesome secondary and background characters--Natalya the poisonous fey, Thad the halfling, and Nix.

The romance had its moments, but it suffered a lot in the face of so much horror. I do enjoy the villain turned hero concept, but it isn't easy to write. On top of this, because so much of the book is spent in the torture compound, this book doesn't have the same epic adventure feel as some of the others in the series. I'm giving it 3.5 stars, and I do intend to continue the series.
on August 25, 2015
There are so many good books and so little time. I always intended to read Ms. Cole and just purchased this ebook on sale. I like her writing, but I had a hard time relating to the hero in Dreams of a Dark Warrior. Both as Declan and as Aiden, this hero just did not come off. Aiden is a beserker who falls for a Valkyrie named Regin the Radiant. She is one of Oden's daughters who leaves Valhalla to rescue her sister. She left because of a man who soon deserted her and Regin could not return. She was assisted in finding her sister by Aiden, who takes her away to his family because she is only 12. She hides from him but goes to his camp when she comes of age. He is killed shortly thereafter and she awaits his reincarnation knowing that should he kiss her his memories will return and he will die shortly thereafter.

Regin is captured a put into an immortal prison by Aiden's current reincarnation Declan. Love and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Declan does not do it for me. He is weak and so was Aiden, for all of his prowess in battle.

I love Regin and all the valkyries and witches. They are kicka** characters that make you smile. There is an inherent risk in starting at the 11th book in the series, but I had no problems following. I am sure starting from the beginning in books that tie the characters together is a much better plan. The writing was good, I loved the heroine, but the hero did nothing for me. I could not understand how he could do anything for Regin either. This whole tortured hero thing has been done to death.
on March 27, 2014
I was thinking I’ve read like eleven of these now, nothing can surprise me anymore and things are probably going to formulaic all things said. I WAS WRONG! First off let me say the Regin is my favorite heroine to date for the series. She is strong, funny and totally says the most off the wall stuff.

- “I finally understand what a dickie-do is. Your gut does stick out more than your dickie do.”

The courtship well that is a little more complex, since I hated Declan in the beginning, I mean he tortures people. But Cole gives him a great backstory of abuse and brainwashing along with the first meeting of Regin and Aidan so by the time we get back to Declan present day I was willing to cut him a little slack. Regin has to take the initiative to seduce Declan in order to save herself, her friends and a few new unlikely allies. Only problem Declan seems to be pretty immune to her charms, but Regin is sure that if he kisses her then he will die a gruesome death just like all of his other incarnations have.

- “Tell me, if I take you to my room and put you in my bed, what do you think would happen?”
“I can draw you a diagram. Hint: I’m slot B, and you’re tab A”

Okay so we all know that Loranda shows up for her ring that should not be a spoiler and that is when things get really interesting. Why you might ask….Well because of Lothaire, yes friends that is right he is teamed up with Regin and our merry little band of unlikely allies as they try to stay alive and get off the Island. Some of the best moments are while Lothaire is trying to help Declan Chase win the fair Regin with relationship advice. Talk about the blind leading the bling, but Lothaire did make a few good points.

- “She’s a disgustingly self-righteous Valkyrie, filled with the need to fix things, to right wrongs. If anything needed fixing…” He waved a hand to indicate Declan from head to toe. “As wrong as he can be.”

Most promising new character added to the series was Thaddeus a seventeen year old ½ Vampire ½ ??? that seems to have a small case of hero worship going on for Lothaire, who can do no wrong in Thad’s eyes. I can’t wait to see how that develops.

And NIX, I missed her in the last book since it was about Carrow she didn’t get a lot of page time but that is far from the case in this book. She was again hilariously crazy and wonderful in her manipulation of everyone.

- “Don’t shriek,” Nix chided. “You’ll hurt Bertil’s ears, and he needs them for echolocation.” As she stroked her new pet in a love-him-and-pet-him-and-call-him-George kind of way.

The thing that I didn’t expect was how Nix and Lothaire acted together, there is definitely some history of some sort there and I really can’t wait to find out what that was all about. Nixie is the best I really hope somehow/somewhere she gets her own book/romance, since things didn’t seem to work out with Dirty Jobs Mike Rowe.

- “I’m actively involved in steering the lives of thousands of beings. Which directly affects hundreds of thousands, which indirectly affects millions, with a ripple effect reaching billions. If someone said, ‘It ain’t easy being Nixie,’ I wouldn’t call him a liar.”

So even though I wasn’t excited about this couple pairing Cole really turned this book into a huge win for me overall. Declan, still not my favorite of all the heroes but Regin, Lothaire and Nix really knock it out of the park, plus Declan grows on you once he lets his mortal ties go.

Great set up for the next book about Lothaire!!! Can’t wait to jump in.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 22, 2015
"Hear this tale, the legend of Aiden the Fierce and Reginlet the Radiant One, a pair of lovers both bound and cursed by fate."

FINAL DECISION: Filled with action, suspense and a dark story, this book takes the idea of Regin's true love returning and turns it upside down as he is reincarnated as a killer of immortals. I loved the drama and angst this added to the story.

THE STORY: A thousand years ago, Regin the Radiant, a Valkyrie, fell for Aiden the Fierce, a mortal warrior and berserker. Right after Regin and Aiden made love, he was killed. For a thousand years, Aiden has been reincarnated and cursed with dying as soon as he recalls the past. Aiden has been reincarnated again as Declan Chase, a brutal soldier and member of the Order whose mission it is to capture, study and kill immortals. Captured and tortured by Declan, Raiden is now thinking on how she can make him remember their past in order that he will die and help her and her friends escape.

OPINION: The twist of having Regin's grand love return as an enemy gives this book an edge. Declan is not merely an enemy in name only. He tortures immortals -- including Regin. He is broken and dark and irresistible. I liked that the book explains but doesn't excuse Declan's behavior. I especially liked the ultimate resolution of the drama of the series and the question of whether Declan would remember and thus die and continue the painful history that he and Regin share.

This book is action packed and filled with characters both old and new. This book is most closely connected with DEMON FROM THE DARK which overlaps this book in content and in time.

WORTH MENTIONING: Oh Lothaire, he's a really dark, bad and sexy dude.

CONNECTED BOOKS: DREAMS OF A DARK WARRIOR is the eleventh book in the Immortals After Dark series. It can be read a standalone but there is an overarching storyline in the series about the coming Accession, an epic battle between immortals.

STAR RATING: I give this book 4.25 stars.
on March 13, 2013
LOVE the Valkryies. Can't get enough. But this one! WOW! Witty, sexy, tragic. A read like no other if you already knew some of the characters. You'll cringe, you'll shudder and you won't put it down. Cole knows no boundaries and WOWS us again. If you complained about this book, go back to sleep. It has everything we don't want to read and can't stop reading. I couldn't put it down. I couldn't read parts but I couldn't stop myself. It's all here. Love and lust, hate and terror. Terrible and wonderful. And then, the frosting, Lothaire, dropped into the pages by a deft pen and oh, how I loved this story...the weaving of this series is astonishing. BUY IT! If you like Paranormal fantasy, etc. YOU WILL NEVER go back to all that other boring phwhhet (drivel) flooding the market.
Kresley Cole is IT!
on October 1, 2014
I was really looking forward to Regin's story and it was a great story.
I guess I am having trouble with some of the parts in the story, without giving to much away they way Declan treated Regin was for me a little over the top. Yeah we get a happily ever after but it was really hard for me to read some parts.
Of course that is totally my issue and will not take off stars just because I had a problem with something.
I was just glad that it finally came to an end and all was well in the world with Regin again.
So looking forward to the next in this series I am really curious about Lothaire the Enemy of Old.
on November 1, 2013
DOADW is the first IAD novel to feature a genuine anti-hero; so almost based on that alone I give it 4 1/2 stars rounded up to 5. Declan Chase is a tortured,cold blooded, hot mess. Just the sort of hero I love in fiction (and just the sort of guy any sane woman would run as fast as possible away from in real life).

Declan is the 4th (or 5th I forget) reincarnation of Regin the Radiant's doomed Beserker mate Aiden the Fierce - Aiden "the bold, blond Viking, who was like a god among men. Women wanted him and men wanted to be him". And then there is our Dekko...and man, he just came back "wrong". Or as Lothaire describes him, "a coal-haired, scarred, underhanded (drug addicted) emotionally deficient Irishman, who is loathed universally by immortals and mortals alike".

Hard to believe that this is the time that's going to be a charm. Especially after they got off on the wrong foot; what with the immortal-hating Dekko capturing and torturing Regin - hardly the stuff dreams are made of. But then he himself was hideously tortured by those bad immortal neoptera-thingies after they gruesomely killed his parents. Then he was taken under the wing of Commander Webb, leader of The Order (a top secret organization with the job of "protecting people" from the evil immortal miscreations) and further programmed and brainwashed into being a hating, torturing, killing machine. As if all this wasn't bad enough; poor Dekko felt "the strain" since childhood - a harrowing sense of loss, a constant pain in his chest coupled with a punishing anxiety, and the nightmares, and then as an adolescent an inability to have sexual relations because it just felt so...wrong. No wonder the poor thing started shooting up. Just one big hot mess from the word go.

And then there was Regin - I liked her despite finding the whole glowing skin thing rather weird. She was a tough cookie and I don't think she made it all THAT easy for Dekko to get back into her good graces.

There was action and adventure, and we got to get better acquainted with Lothaire (which was good because up until this point I thought he seemed kind of "cardboardy" and I didn't really get what the big deal was).His interactions with the other characters were quite amusing. For example, his quip to Dekko while collecting on some of the blood they bargained over - "And speaking of females, if I call you by one's name while my fangs are plunged deep in your neck, just run with it".

Of course there's a HEA and Nix explains that Declan the Fierce is the right incarnation for Regin to love, because "Declan Chase suits my sister better. Regin doesn't do perfect".
on March 22, 2017
I do believe that this is the best book in the series so far it will keep you on the edge of your seat. Something happens at every turn of the page. My goodness it was one twist after another. Excellent, a must must read.
on May 30, 2013
These IAD books just keep getting more and more intense. Saying Regin and Declan had some obstacles to overcome is the understatement of the month. I actually couldn't really decide to give this book 4 or 5 stars because I'm not completely convinced this is believable (I know, it's PNR so believable is always so so) but after they did get by together it was done and I just accepted it and I loved how Declan turned out in the end ( you'll see what I mean). So a 5 it is. Highly recommended again. On to Lothair. I'm so intrigued. Happy reading!