Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
on December 20, 2009
I purchased three books to help me learn Dreamweaver:

Dreamsweaver CS4 for Dummies (this book)
Dreamweaver CS4: The Missing Manual
The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS4 with CSS, Ajax and PHP

I started with Dreamweaver CS4 for Dummies, which I found to be a pretty good book. I was able to read it cover to cover (though it's not necessary to do so to get started). In addition to a good basic overview, it had a couple of very helpful tips in a chapter called "10 Resources You Might Need."

As my design became more detailed, I felt the need for a book that went into more depth and bought the other two books listed above. I like both books, but find I rely on The Missing Manual the most. Its writing is clear and easy to follow. The numerous tutorials give step-by-step instructions for a beginner on how to accomplish various tasks, with more advanced details included in the text.

I like The Essential Guide as well, but since I'm not using PHP, I find that there are areas where the advice they give simply doesn't work for me. For example, when I wanted to learn more about using templates, The Essential Guide gave only a very basic explanation, then went into far more detail about using PHP "includes" instead. While I agree that the PHP "includes" are probably the better choice, it's not one that is available to me since I don't have a PHP testing server (and don't want to go through the complexity of setting one up on my home computer). If you are using PHP, then this is definitely the book to get.

All in all, if I had to recommend one book to get started, it would be For Dummies, particularly if your needs are very simple and/or you're completely new to web site design. For those who want to move beyond the basics, I like The Missing Manual the best. This book could also be used by beginners as long as you're not put off by its length -- with over 1,000 pages, it's not one you'll be able to read cover to cover. I think The Essential Guide is best suited for those who want to create very complex designs, especially those that use PHP. It, too, is very clearly written, but more intimidating to a beginner.
on August 12, 2009
I bought 3 or 4 books to learn Dreamweaver (which should have been named Nightmareweaver!) and this one was the only useful and helpful one. After using Frontpage for a long time, getting a handle on Dreamweaver was difficult and frustrating and the only real help I found was with Dreamweaver for Dummies and an online seminar from the SIte Wizard...With those two I've finally managed to create a beautiful and user-friendly site!
Avoid at all costs Dreamweaver CS4: The Missing Manual: you'll be throwing money down the drain! Where Dreamweaver for Dummies has clear explanations and walks you through, the Missing Manual is total gibberish...
on January 23, 2010
Janine Warner's book, Dreamweaver CS4 for Dummies is very helpful. I've been trying to learn Dreamweaver for a year now using various self-taught methods. I did some online tutorials including a very good one from Lynda.com. But having the book is so great because I can look things up a lot easier than searching around online. It's good both as a teaching tool and then as a reference when you're trying to remember how to do something again. The book is rich with specific examples which really helps the most.
on December 29, 2015
Excellent price as I bought a new copy of CS4 and it did not come with a manual. I love all these books, very well written for the newbie as always.
on November 11, 2016
Very nice description about using Dreamweaver CS4
on August 10, 2016
GOOD PRODUCT AND FAST DELIVERY.
on May 17, 2010
There are plenty of step by step instructions in this book, but it is very deficient in explaining concept. For those of us who really want to understand why we are doing something, it comes up short. I believe this is because you really cannot teach Dreamweaver without the student having a sound understanding of CSS, and CSS is a huge beast unto itself. This book tries to be two things: a Dreamweaver tutorial and a CSS tutorial, with a little web design thrown in. It does a pretty good job of explaining basic Dreamweaver functionality, but it comes up short on CSS for someone who has no experience whatsoever. I would suggest reworking this book to remove all of the CSS descriptions (leave that for CSS for Dummies) and then focus on Dreamweaver features, with a warning to potential readers that they had better bone up on CSS and web design first.
on May 5, 2014
I tried reading this from the beginning, looking up what I need and many different ways of using this book to use Dreamweaver and I STILL FEEL CLUELESS! Maybe there shouldn't actually be a Dummies book for Dreamweaver.
on November 30, 2009
I bought this book because I assumed it would be a step-by-step guide to learning Dreamweaver. The book does give basic information, but it is more of a reference book than a "how to" guide. The author descibes what Dreamweaver can do and explains basic concepts, but she does not SHOW how to do it through step-by-step examples. There are gaps in the linear process--a good "how to" guide needs to be linear and not miss any steps--examples progess from A to B to C and then she shows the result incorporating D,E & F without showing how she got there. The author describes "what" Dreamweaver can do but often fails to show the exact steps on "how" to do it. The "tutorials" are theoretical and do not give all the steps to accomplishing the task.
on July 1, 2010
Like most Dummie book this is outstanding and easy to use. Regular manuals tend to be to technical and this one cuts to the chase. Love Dummy books and generally use them more so than the manual that comes with software.