Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on August 22, 2013
Include me in the people who had never seen or read anything about the character Dredd. I watched this based solely on one person's recommendation and I'm glad I did. It is the second film on blu ray I have seen that was a box office disappointment in the past year that turned out to be a great film. Oblivion is the other and I love that film, too.

Dredd is mostly wall to wall action and violence. It is VERY violent so that was a shock to me. I expected a superhero film with violence such as in The Avengers. Yes, I missed the part where this is rated R. But is it that much more violent than an episode of The Walking Dead? If it is, it's not by much. But just be prepared when you watch this film. It's not for kids.

Urban is fantastic in the lead. We never see his face. We see his jaw and that's it as he works his way through the film and the mega city. He is a driven man and though we learn little about him personally (there are brief hints) it is his actions that speak loud and clear. He talks sparingly but when he does it's memorable and never campy.

This is as pure as an action film gets. I think it is the best I have seen in a long time. It's right up there with Die Hard and destined to be a classic in the genre.
30 people found this helpful
on September 7, 2016
This movie caught me totally by surprise. It showed up unannounced in my Amazon Prime list in 2013 and on a whim I decided to try it out.

It’s amazing. Forget the Stallone version and most other “dark” comic-to-film- or game-to-film movies. This one’s the real deal. It’s dark, gritty, well paced, clever, and brutal. It’s also the first movie I’ve ever watched at home and found myself saying, “Now, that movie would really look good in 3-D!”

An interesting thing about that last comment is that most of the movie is spent on the inside of a vast urban city tower, running up and down corridors, shooting things and people up. But the way the movie is photographed, edited, and choreographed you don’t have a tiresome boring by-the-numbers floor-by-floor fight-fest like The Raid. In Dredd you know where you are and where the bad guys are at all times. You get plot twists tossed at you but the logic of Dredd’s inevitable judgment is inescapable.

Karl Urban adds another capstone to a lustrous action career thet now includes not only Dredd but Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Riddick, and Priest. And you never get to see his eyes under that helmet!

Lena Heady proves again she is well on her way to becoming the go-to actor for psychopathic female leaders. This woman does not fool around and is just plain fun to watch. I would love to see her play a character up against “Alice” in the next Resident Evil movie.

The movie is very well photographed. Scenes are interestingly but not ostentatiously framed. Lighting is such that, even when shadows abound, you can always see what is going on. I especially loved the coloring; much use is made of yellow, orange, and gold, in contrast to the washed out blues and greens we’ve grown accustomed to in so many fantasy and science fiction films.

Think about the lighting from the early scenes in Blade Runner, especially the scenes of the exterior and interior of the Tyrell Corporation. Then apply that to a gritty vertical city constructed from hundreds of layers of cheesy and decaying urban shopping malls. But sort of pretty, if you know what I mean?

This is a violent movie. Its R-rating is well-deserved. Maybe that’s why it didn’t do better at the box office. I suspect, though, that now that it’s more widely available a lot more people are going to discover it.
11 people found this helpful
on March 31, 2013
This film is a vast improvement over the big budget Stalone version and is very close to the original character portrayed for over 40 years in 2000AD and Judge Dredd magazine. Karl Urban was born to play Dredd. He has every perfected every nuance and even the body language of Dredd - all of this without ever once taking off the helmet!

For Dredd fans this film is a huge hit and I've watched it several times since buying the bluray disk - it never gets stale. Sadly in the States the public are not familiar with the Dredd character so it wasn't the mega-hit it deserved but if you enjoy action, dark humor and bleak futuristic settings, this is the film.

Judge Anderson is also brilliantly portrayed as the Rookie judge coming to terms with the brutality of the job. While Dredd is already a granite faced veteran, Anderson starts the film with doubts and moments of hesitation. In effect this is a "coming of age" story and again the actress (Olivia Thirlby) has nailed her character brilliantly.

The only limitation on this film is budget; there are a few moments we are reminded this film was made on limited funds, however I am reminded of Pitch Black which in many ways owes its brilliance to the same combination of excellent actors and script-over-budget excellence.

I can only hope that somehow everyone on this film gets picked up to make a bigger budget sequel. There are many rich stories in the Dredd magazine, and many which reflect on society today.
13 people found this helpful
on April 20, 2018
The 4K Ultra H.D Blu-Ray movie arrived on time and undamaged Picture, Sound and Features playback is superb, especially as a 4K movie which adds greater depth and picture clarity as well as massively upgrading the sound to Dolby X Atmos. This version of the 2000AD comic book Lawman, is a vast improvement of the 1995 movie version by Danny Cannon and starring Sylvester Stallone Dredd, even though I still like that version as well, has now been given justice to its dramatic story line casting with Karl Urban and Lena Heady and is much darker and more intense version take of the 1995 movie version and of course graphically violent throughout the movie. Lastly the other good thing about this version of Judge Dredd is the uniform itself, without the metal shoulderpads and the Lawgiver 2 hand gun, with various ammunition rounds and the firing of the weapon itself and his police bike, which is used in the graphic chase scene at the beginning of the movie and that it was shot live in downtown Pretoria, South Africa, which stood in for Mega City One. Excellant movie.
on January 23, 2018
I must have seen this movie a dozen times now, and it's still awesome. Karl Urban givens a unmatchable performance as Dredd. He brings the character to life, in a griddy, and modernized portrayal, all while staying true to the source material. The performance of his co-stars and supporting actors are terrific, as they play their characters right there on the level with Urban. I can't emphasize enough, how thrilled, impressed, and entertained I was by the vision of the director, the writers, and the special and practical effects of this movie. The only bad part of this movie is that it has yet to get a sequel. I've voted online for a sequel to be made. Watch, and you will too.
2 people found this helpful
on November 18, 2015
I know this movie flopped at the box office, but I enjoyed it. It was extremely gritty, bloody, noisy, with tons of bullets flying, but it was definitely not boring. Seeing how the lovely Lena Headey from Game of Thrones was transformed into a skeletal, skanky-looking crackhead was something to behold. The setting was very gritty, dirty, dark, and dank - makes you want to take a shower after watching it. It's not a movie for everyone, but I I understand why it didn't do better at the box office. I like Karl Urban (Bones from Star Trek) as an actor and felt he delivered a great performance and I enjoyed the movie and highly recommend it.
4 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 3, 2017
I really liked Dredd when I saw it in theaters. And to this day, I still think its a killer gritty movie. So no quarrel with the movie itself. The 4K quality however is a different story. This looked like a regular ass Blu-ray. The movie was grainy, the colors were muted and seemed like HDR really didn't add anything to the presentation. I saw a lot of lost detail in especially darker scenes.

If you haven't seen Dredd, pick it up on the cheapest format available because the 4K upgrade doesn't give any added enjoyment - at least for me.
3 people found this helpful
on September 1, 2015
There are few movies that I watch over and over again within a years time and "Dredd" is one of them. I never read the comics and the previous Judge Dredd movie is probably not in my top 100 films to watch but this movie is amazing. It not only portrays a modern day comic book movie but is an addiction to watch. The action and special effects are feniminal but the characters and acting is incredible. So here's a little about the movie without any spoilers:

Dredd as well as a rookie judge who also has psi capability enter a block city which is a huge building that serves as a gigantic apartment complex to investigate the death of three individuals. Upon investigating they take a prisoner which in turn causes the entire block being shut down and them being hunted by a gang called the Mama Clan.
I don't want to give anything away and if your a fan of the comics I'm sure you can elaborate on some other qualities the movie brings but from my point of view this is a movie that deserved more credit in the theaters than it did. If your looking for something that accelerates your adrenaline and gives you a great escape in a post apocalyptic world this movie is it.
As I said I'm a huge fan, so this is a movie I have downloaded to my kindle perminently. I hate to be bias in a review but you will not be disappointed. Pick this movie up today.
One person found this helpful
on June 29, 2017
Most action movies are bland these days. They're formulaic, with your by-the-numbers bromance or romance beats copy and pasted in. Due to ballooning costs, there are usually a few decent action scenes but they're broken up with generic story. Many movies are about cartoonish characters learning lessons that don't really resonate with the viewer.

Dredd doesn't fall into any of these pitfalls.

The film spends very little time setting up its presence and then launches into nearly uninterrupted action. The movie has a coherent story but its an action driven film through-and-through. The relationships of the characters in the story are believable but they don't fall into the cliche story beats. The action itself is intense, beautiful, and graphic. This is one of the best action films of the last decade easily. I say film because it is one. While the action has broad and exciting appeal, this is clearly a work of art. It's closest relative is Mad Max: Fury Road. It's a shame there aren't more action films like them.
7 people found this helpful
on January 1, 2018
This was actually pretty good. I went into it worried that it would pretty much all be explosions and a terrible action film. While it does have the trade marks of a typical action film - the movie went to great lengths to create graphic visuals and a gruesome tone of violence - in a way that I think added some interest to the overall atmosphere of the film. The basic story was simple but effective. Criminals in the future go to much greater lengths to control the city and drug rings, as do the judges in their pursuit, and corruption runs deep. This film makes the first run of judge dredd with Stallone look way goofier. The only thing I want more from this film is a sequel!
One person found this helpful